Newbie Navara Help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
Hey all,
new to the forum and new to the Navara D22 range.

Recently picked up a Navara D22 Cab Chassis 4x2 (YD25 engine I believe, says 2.5CR on side of the ute).

Was wonder how/what a basic and CHEAP exhaust modification for a bit more power and having less restriction from the stock dump pipe would be.

Short on cash at the moment as I'm only 17 so yer.

Cheers all!

PS. In Australia so please try not to link me up with international links

you sure its not a D40 ??
the only D22 with CR (common rail) is the 2008 model and i think its one of the few years they brought in 2WD. otherwise the 2wd D22 was never sold in AU unles its imported from NZ.

best cheap thing you can do is replace the main muffler and fit boost and EGT guages and a decent catch can. if you can oil temp guage would be a wise idea to.
don't get tempted to play with boost as they run variable turbo's and it gets complicated fast. keep the stock airfilter, after market ones can screw with the MAF which upsets the turbo system.
after that you can add a chip and increase fueling etc but they are not what i call cheap. prefer to get it reliable first before winding up the fuel.

however IF you do have the early D22 YD25 (the one the euro guys are having problems with motors blowing) i would look at their bearing mods.

i think hes got a new one, cab chasis come in 2wd with the 2.5CR.
Probably just a straight through exhaust, 3" might be to big tho.

no such thing as to big ;)

however you really need at least boost gauge fitted as big exhaust can change they way the turbo operates a bit.
the exhaust shop i was talking to before reckons that had quite a few problems with the some of the 3" on the 3 litres, there is not a lot of clearance and when the motor flex's the exhaust can hit the chassis.
2.5" will probably do fine anyway and avoids any problem with clearances.

also need to remember that it runs a different turbo to that of the 4x4 D40. i'm guessing its the 2WD D40 motor, detuned a bit due to the different intercooler.
so don't expect to crank it up to 4x4 D40 specs without doing any work on reliability.

With regards to exhaust size I'd go with 2.5" with 2.75" as a max, the 3" on my D22 does rub on the floor occasionally at full noise in 1st gear.

I've pretty much got it to not rub on the floor now by knocking up the heat shield that runs along the floor to gain more clearance and moving the flex joint back behind the transfer case, now I can only get the system to touch the floor if I do silly things like revving up the engine to build some boost and letting the clutch out with 1500-2000 rpm on the tacho, makes for great take offs but I don't recommend doing this often if you like your driveline to stay in one piece.

I gotta agree with whats been said. Boost gauge because you have a Variable vane turbo.

Bigger exhausts especially ZD30DDTI (GU Patrol spec) can send the ecu into limp mode. The turbo needs to be adjusted to suit the mod.

Not sure on the YD25DDTI CRD motor but I assume it will run similar to the ZD30 (GU), as in adjusted.

Mate have you thought about a chip ?

Dave.

I havent noticed any rubbing yet, but ive got the bodylift aswell.

The body lift makes the difference Joshy, I've got about 30mm above the exhaust at it's tightest point and the motor still manages to rotate enough on the mounts to lift it up to the floor.

yeah id say so. i duno bout everyone elses but my motor has alot of movement.

yeah, its the brand new 2008 cab chassis.

l_9fa194f1f6edd99834dec559740b40d5.jpg

so install a boost and exhaust gas temp guage? how hard is that to do and estimate price to buy the guages? 200 bucks?

you guys say like 2.5" custom exhaust and stuff, whats the stock size? looks fairly large to me, though i'm probably looking at the wrong part, lol.

i heard about replacing the stock dump pipe from the turbo, though that has the cat attached to it. that means i'd have to buy a dump pipe, then buy a cat to put inline, or what?

cheers for the help so far guys.

Actually come to think of it maddogrc, I'm not so sure changing the exhaust will have any benefit at all, I looked under one of the 2008 D22 ST-Rs a few weeks ago that was delivered by the dealer for a fit up and it had a 2.5" mandrel bent system on it out of the factory. If you were to change something on the exhaust, I'd consider the muffler, I can't remember for sure but I don't think it was a straight through job.

Come to think of it, everything I've looked under lately has had 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust from factory, the current Hilux, the BT-50/Ranger and the D40 and D22 2.5CR have all been the same, I'm guessing the manufacturers are working on getting the efficiency of them better just to meet emissions laws, and the exhaust was a cheap place to start for most makes.

catch can is basically a can on the breather pipe that goes from the motor to the inlet piping. unfortunately oil goes through it and can foul up the maf sensors. also the oil acts as fuel which the ecu has a hard time compensating for.
maf sensor runs the turbo, egr and fueling. if it goes faulty things do not go well and its not a cheap item to replace.

a good catch can has a filter in it to filter out any oil.

Interesting post Shonky about the factory exhausts.

The aftermarket scene will lose some money. Its gonna be harder to pull extra power out in the future, everyone will have to chip there motors.

Dave.

hey again,
has anyone here installed a custom form or upgrade air intake/filter system soley for more power, or has received more power from air system upgrade?

i heard the stock filter is fairly restrictive and i notice the engine bay gets fairly warm, and physics teaching me that colder air is denser, and denser/cooler air means u get more oxygen into the engine which results in more power.

cheers all

Keep the factory intake, get a snorkel if your after colder air. The factory intake is designed for the harshest enviroments. Dont alter it bar a snorkel.

Dave.

they all dont have cyclone filters. mine has like a basic round tube filter type thing. forgot the name of it.

the cyclone filters in the book look fairly different and bigger, or is it just me?

Latest posts

Back