Catch can

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonba

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm looking at getting a catch can made for my NP300. I was just wondering if anyone is interested in a kit to suit their car, inc bracketing and hosing etc?

Might be able to organise a few kits identical to what I get made.

Any intrest?

anyone installed a catch can yet?

Looking at the engine trying to work out the plumbing.
Never had so much trouble installing a catch can.

OK I am Blind.

Had another look and it is staring at me rite there in plain view.
rocker vent line is covered in silver heat shielding, nipple size is 16mm.
Will install the catch can between the battery and fuel filter after making a bracket next weekend.

Any others with a better location? any ideas welcome.

N00b question, what the hell is a catch can? Also what is it used for? First diesel truck. So please no need to take the piss lol :saberfighting:

N00b question, what the hell is a catch can? Also what is it used for? First diesel truck. So please no need to take the piss lol :saberfighting:
N00b answer for the question
Catchs/filters the oil out of the air that blows by your pistons ( very minimal oil mist )
Over time that oil will start to coat the inside of your hoses down to your intercooler and reduce its efficiency.
No need to have one made. Buy one and make it suit your truck

Catch Cans help prevent this. As shown in the lower right corner of the intercooler, excess oil vapor escaping from the intercooler. This is after 4 years and 140,000klm. I should pull the intercooler off one day and get it flushed out and pull my finger out and fit a catch can to my D22

Attachments

• 20151115_093511.jpg
    20151115_093511.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Catch Cans help prevent this. As shown in the lower right corner of the intercooler, excess oil vapor escaping from the intercooler. This is after 4 years and 140,000klm. I should pull the intercooler off one day and get it flushed out and pull my finger out and fit a catch can to my D22

thats also a boost leak mate, you have to get the intercooler to a radiator shop and get it fixed. had exactly the same problem.

^^that is what the pcv system is for, yes.

My thoughts are, they aren't fitted from the factory because of the additional cost and the servicing requirements of them. Unless you have it set up with a non return valve to drain the oil back to the sump when the motor turns off, they have to be emptied every so often. How often depends on how much blowby the motor has. If you don't empty it, then instead of a small amount of oil vapour going back through the turbo and into the motor, you risk dumping a whole lot of oil in there which a diesel motor can run on, without any max rpm limit. If you put "diesel run on" into youtube, you will see what happens if a diesel motor starts running on engine oil instead...

Cost and servicing as mentioned above.
Finally got my catch can installed yesterday.
Made a bracket next to the battery. The bracket will also act as a heat shield for the battery. Not really needed.
I empty them it each service
Look on older cars they had catch cans fitted 1950's Jags and austin's i worked on had them no return line to the manifold just a separator and reservoir.

Brought myself a Mann Hummel ProVent 200 catch can for Christmas. Started fitting it to the D40 Last weekend. Hope to Finnish this weekend to help the new turbo out a bit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451481702.531958.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451481718.766341.jpg

G'day Tonba, myself and a few other guys from the NP300 facebook group would be interested in a kit if they were made. Like you said, the full monty. If the price is right 😉

Latest posts

Back