whine noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jased22

Reaction score
My navs making a whining noise only does it at 80km/h or over and only does it at low to mid boost. I assume itsa boost leak but its odd it doesnt do it at all speeds or at full boost

but seriously, since i put an amp on the stereo i get engine whine over the system, some sort of interference.

Haha. I dont have a amp. Its just started doing it all of a sudden havent done any new mods lately. At first it was only doing it at 100/110km/h but is now doing it at lower speeds its annoying can hear it over the stereo its a whine almost humming like sound

I am getting air in the fuel lines some where. Could that be the source of the noise?

Had the car at mechanics today, they suspect the noise is coming from the turbo and saying it could be worn.. They didnt actually inspect the turbo though. To do that i just take off the intake pipe and check for play on the turbine wheel yeah?? Surely if it was a turbo issue it would be more noticable at full boost?

mechanics often put the blame right onto the Turbo when most of the time its not the issue. could be a simple vacumm hose or so.

Had the car at mechanics today, they suspect the noise is coming from the turbo and saying it could be worn.. They didnt actually inspect the turbo though. To do that i just take off the intake pipe and check for play on the turbine wheel yeah?? Surely if it was a turbo issue it would be more noticable at full boost?
A rooted turbo is more of a squeal noise than a whine if that makes sense. Play in the wheel and worn fins are easy to pick. It could simply be a hose leak too.

A healthy turbo can make a whining noise depending on your intake set up and turbo speed. Mine sounds like a police siren in the disance, lol, when i'm trundleing around 5-10psi around town. The whine will "disappear" at higher turbo speed as the frequency goes above human hearing. The old shagged turbo was definitely starting to "screech". Upon inspection symptoms were as John described - plus copious oil consumption and soaking throughout the intake in my case. Not saying thats what you've got though. A boost leak will sound like rushing air and loss of power if its bad enough.
If the noise is dependant on speed and not boost it could be diff or gearbox related touch wood. What gear does it do it in? Could just be an antenna/roofrack/lights bullbar or something else external getting wind noise??

Last edited:
It does it from 70km/h upwards now only at cruise doesnt do it if i put my foot down. Only happens when im accelarating if i take my foot off the gas it goes away. Happens in 4th and 5th. Its definitely coming from the turbo area loudest on passenger side. Its only started dokng it the last few months its not a normal noise it makes, my intake noise is very loud and so is turbo noise but this is different. I did have a hose clamp snap and intercooler pipe pop off i while ago ( pipe from intercooler to engine) While doing 110km/h egts shot rite up and had no power. My car has sounded different since then but probably only noticeable to me. This sound might have started after that but iv checked all intercooler pipes and joiners, intake clamps, boost controller clamps. One thing iv found is that the hose clamp on the intake pipe at the turbo wont adjust i cant tighten it or loosen it but it seems like its on tight

Last edited:
have you checked for leaks where the turbo bolts onto manifold and where the turbo bolts to dump pipe ? could be lose bolts or a stuffed gasket.

Yep, check all that type of shit, but bear in mind where ever your ears spatially think the noise is coming from when you are cruising at 80kmh, it probably isnt since the body of the vehicle is transmitting the noise however the hell it wants.
Speaking of which, have you changed the set up at all recently? Hard mounted air box or intercooler can transmit noise through the body too.

have you checked for leaks where the turbo bolts onto manifold and where the turbo bolts to dump pipe ? could be lose bolts or a stuffed gasket.

Just checked all those bolts and they done up tight

Yep, check all that type of shit, but bear in mind where ever your ears spatially think the noise is coming from when you are cruising at 80kmh, it probably isnt since the body of the vehicle is transmitting the noise however the hell it wants.
Speaking of which, have you changed the set up at all recently? Hard mounted air box or intercooler can transmit noise through the body too.

Thats true but it does seem to be coming from the passenger engine side. Had the front mount for years and had the 80 series airbox in for 6 or so months

Well just took all my intake apart my intake pipe doesnt look to good around the ribbed section the rubber is deteriorating but dont think its worn completely through just put some duct tape around it for now lol. Replaced the hose clamp on the turbo intake pipe. Took the boost controller off and found the hose has been squashed pretty badly by the hose clamps so replaced all hose and re tightend all fittings on the boost controller. Put it all back together and its still making the same noise its hard to explain what it sounds like but im thinking its not a boost leak now. Was giving it a bit in 3rd and my turbo made a new sound as i backed off the throttle.. kind of a psst noise. Then looked at the boost gauge and its hitting 22psi! Must of turned up the boost controller!! But think im going to have to take a mechanic for a drive and point out this noise. Wont be going back to the mechanic i went to last time

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back