3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some ecu's they can program the EGR side of things so it only turns on at some never achievable setting. however afaik no one has reprogrammed these ecu's.

you can't trick the ecu otherwise for eg it will run on the cold map constantly.
fortunatly these ecu's are not full OBD2 so they don't monitor the egr system as tightly as say a petrol motor. hence the ecu doesn't really know the egr is not working. it only checks the valve itself. as long as the coils don't blow it thinks its all fine. (which i think is the cause of some of the problems these get. ecu doesn't know if valve is stuck.)

your porting is more to do with flow rather than pulse tuning.
performance out of the water.

A bit of both actually. My aim when doing the porting was to keep the ports and runners as small as possible while sorting out obvious deficiencies in shaping and casting marks.

The only suggestive thing about pulse tuning in the ZD30 for me is that it does look as though it has different length runners for each side of the swirl valve. But as I wrote somewhere previously, I found the system on my RB20 to be pretty ineffective in producing a performance benefit at low rpm and a detriment at high rpm due to all the extra hardware in the air flow becoming a restriction. There is also more to it than just pulse tuning. At low rpm the gas velocity would be more important and that is exactly where dual inlet tract setus are in theory better.

It is a pity that no one would seem to have cracked the mapping of these ECU's, if they did you would alter the variable as you said, just disable EGR operation for anything under something like 110 degrees coolant temp so it just never became active.

Last edited:
i just did the egr+butterfly mod today.
i noticed a difference in the low range rpm but not in the higher rpms, also the wind down of the engine is that normal? i have to say that the car runs a lot smoother then before. it doesn't fills like im driving a tractor anymore.

i just did the egr+butterfly mod today.
i noticed a difference in the low range rpm but not in the higher rpms, ............

normal. at high rpm your basically at full noise and EGR is off. EGR is generally on the most at lower rpm and low throttle (ie cruise) which is why you notice the difference at those revs.

tweak'e what about the wind down in the engine that i can hear when i am decelerating? i dont know if its the turbo that i can hear more. if so is that normal

i can't remember if mine made much of a difference.
the turbo is spinning faster so you will notice some more turbo noise especially when you go off throttle.

I did the EGR mod today. Was kinda daunting to start with but i gotta say it made a big difference. Feels alot smoother now, boosts better and the engine actually sounds quieter. Once before it had a slight tapping when cruising, now thats basically gone. Big thanks to everyone who provided pics and instructions on how to do it. Was a huge help..

i used that stuff they have been making gaskets out of forever, its got metal weaved through some type of rubbery stuff. you can cut it with tin snips or even good scissors, lasts forever. just had some sitting around in the shed

As requested by tweake, i reported in another thread about my fuel economy before and after egr mod. A couple of notes though as my result may be different for a number of reasons, but my reasoning suggest the egr mod was the main player in the economy figures. About a year ago my turbo crapped out and I rebuilt my engine. Before this happened, I always got around the 10L/100km. It was a bit better in the city and a bit worse on the highway, I think this has to do with roof racks. But lets say avg 10L/100km. Then turbo dies, rebuild motor with all new bits, new injectors, new turbo, rebuild injection pump and block egr. Ran the car for a while and it was getting around the 12-13L /100km, I was told this may have to do with increased friction on all internal parts so wasting a bit of fuel, should get better with age. Not so, fuel economy stayed the same for 15,000km's. Then put the intercooler on a few weeks back, economy back down to just over 10l/100km. Now in my case, because so many changes were made at the same time, I cannot ultimately conclude the egr is to blame, but with my reasoning that the egr is an extra fuel source which was being used, but is now going out the exhaust pipe. I guess the only way to test this is to unblock the egr, not likely going to happen as I have now got an engine that has never had the egr put through it and I don't want all that carbon coating every internal component.

Done the egr+butterfly mod ,and 2.75" exhaust and what a differance .Even without the exhaust just the egr mod i noticed the differance in throttle response.thanks to everone on the forum for the info and pics.

Hi Guys,

Great Forum. I have recently brought a D22 03 Doublecab Navara witht he ZD30 Engine.

I have been reading about these mods to the EGR etc and just want to double check I have it right before firing ahead with it.

So..........
1. Make and install a block off plate for the inletend of that EGR pipe.
2. Re-route the vacuum hoses as per the diagrams in the thread using the T intersection.
3. Use a small piece of tube to close off the EGR solenoid.
4. Now this is the part I am unsure of....Take the top vacuum hose that goes to the Swirl control solenoid and block it off with a ball bearing or something similar. OR Just unplug it?

3. Use a small piece of tube to close off the EGR solenoid.
its cosmetic oonly has there is one bit left.
4. Now this is the part I am unsure of....Take the top vacuum hose that goes to the Swirl control solenoid and block it off with a ball bearing or something similar. OR Just unplug it?
unplug is easiest.

I have an 09 model navara with the 2.5cr engine will I get the same gains on this engine and how do I go about doin it

Hi Mahooody,
Mate I too are STRUGGLING to get informed answers re our 09 2:5ltrs regarding this EGR senario. As I am led to believe.......from this site....our D22s dont have a Varible Vane Turbo....but the D40s do. I dont know the answer .....but is there ANYONE out there who knows the answer to this question......Does the D22 (08/09 model) have a EGR system that can be blocked off - and if so HOW DO YOU DO IT?????? Sorry guys'....just after some answers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes it has an EGR sytem and it can be blocked off just like any other. exhust side of the egr cooler would be best.
however the sticking point is if it has egr butterfly. d40 doesn't as that has variable turbo. normal type turbos usually have some form of egr butterfly. theres no mention of it in the manual that i could see.
as i mentioned before you will just have to work it out yourself, then you can tell the rest of us :)

Im in the same boat with the d40, Want to scrap the EGR.

can i just block it off going into the inlet? How will this hurt?
where is the swirl control on the d40s?

Anyone with pics, instructions or info please.

IMG00047-20100518-1038.jpg pics of work in action

undo those 2 bolts in centre of picture with monkey piss on them, they are F&#$@@ tight!

make stainless plate like below, shove it in with goo and ya done.

Latest posts

Back