D40 Combination switch mod for foglights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you put a bulb in series with the relay to draw a bit more current to allow the dash indicator to activate? Bit of heat shrink over the bulb would stop it glowing where it shouldn't!

Just chuck a resistor in there. Keep putting bigger sizes until you get enough draw.

Thanks Tony. I wasn't going to run both fog lights and driving lights on the same circuit, only driving lights instead of fog lights. The fog light circuit has a 20 A fuse so it's reasonable to expect the wiring could also handle 20A, so 2x100W = 16.7A should be ok? Alternatively use it to switch a relay. Thanks.

The BCM doesn't monitor the fog light circuit, it's switched in the IPDM , don't add resistors or lamps to the mod as I wrote only have a discrete set of contacts to trigger the circuit as it is switching logic levels on the BCM, so a relay activated by the high beams can be used to activate the circuit

Just doing the mod on my thai kingcab and i dont have the D5 diode...not a big deal as my parts bin is always fruitfull..just a heads up for the thai owners.

The BCM doesn't monitor the fog light circuit, it's switched in the IPDM , don't add resistors or lamps to the mod as I wrote only have a discrete set of contacts to trigger the circuit as it is switching logic levels on the BCM, so a relay activated by the high beams can be used to activate the circuit

Thank you for this information. I might try it.

Hey guys just wanted to clarify before I go ahead and install my led bar. If I do this little mod am I then able to get the harness adapter to the factory plug and then cut the plug off the adapter and put the required lugs for the bar. Cheers

Bizarre. Just did this and it worked as an additional high beam switch when my headlights are on, but just activates the parkers when main headlights are off! Hmm.

I hooked the standard loom up to some tjm foglights that came with my bullbar. I have a 2012 Spanish d40 st

Last edited:
I have a spare combination switch which I modified following Malicious's instructions if anyone wants one. I haven't tested it but it's the second one that I've done and I'm pretty sure it's good. Just pay the postage and send me the old one?

Thanks! Really weird as I did everything as required, pretty straight forward really. I'm going to try and resource a second hand genuine one first, then if all else fails, I'll let you know. If someone else grabs it first, no worries. Thanks again.

I bought some el-cheapo foglights of Aliexpress to fit the Navara complete with the brackets.
Then followed the procedure as per OP and the lights work just perfect!
Thanks Malicious for the post and sussing this out.
Soldering on the SMD diode was a little tricky as my eyesight isn't what it used to be and I am not used to handling such fiddly little things.
One thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere in this thread but which may save someone some grief is getting the diode the right way around. Luckily the circuit board is marked with the correct direction.
For anyone else attempting this ensure that little bars or stripes on the diode are on the side the arrow is pointing on the circuit board.
The only other issue I had was the plugs in my truck (Spanish) were not the same as the sockets on the lights. But that was easily fixed by cutting the plugs of the wiring loom supplied with the lights as that was not needed for any other purpose.

Hey guys, I want to do this mod to my 07 Spain built, from what I gather in the main instructions this is for if you want to run you own switch yes? I gather this mod does not need to be done if I change the stalk to one with fog light switch?

That is right Tory. Once you plug in the new stalk with the foggie dial this will become useless

Latest posts

Back