Navara D40 - long range fuel tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel

Reaction score
I have just fitted an LRA (Long Range Automotive) tank to my D40 last week. I had a quote from an online supplier for $1050 delivered but ARB matched is so ordered through them. I was told delivery would be around 8 weeks but turned up a few days later.
The tank came with everything required to fit it including fairly good instructions allowing me to fit it myself in around 4hours. The arm on the fuel sender float needs to be extended by cutting and brazing in a short piece of rod, which is supplied, so you need access to an oxy set, other wise a bit of filing and cutting and extending a few wires is all that is required.
I did look at the auxiliary tank that Long Ranger make but they are more expensive, you vulnerable plastic tank is still in place and you still only end up with a total of 150lt.

Cheers

thats the go. i just had a 160 lt fitted to my stx for $1400 (supply and fit )by opposite lock. i was'nt to keen on the auxilary tank either.

OL 160ltr tank

I have also had a 160 litre tank by Opposite Lock to my 2008 D40 STX. Am currently trying to calibrate the fuel guage. At the moment the fuel guage starts to move after 60 litres and has used 115 litres at 1/4 full. I am also in the process of calibrating the Scanguage which will be a big help. Has anybody got any better information on similar setups.

Russell

let us know how you go with the scanguage. i've got one on order. i did a calculation on the fuel the other day and used 118 ltr to when the fuel light came on witch means i should have 42 ltr's left if needed , not that i'm keen on running the tank too low. i worked it out to 11.2 ltr per 100k's. thats not bad when you're loaded up and have the trailer on for a few days.

cheers dave

OL 160ltr tank

You must a have different installation than mine, mine has a top tank and the standard (original) fuel guage sensor fitted in the bottom tank. This means it takes about 60 to be used before the needle starts to move. Then at 1/4 it takes 115 liters to fill up (to visually sighting fuel at 5 cms from the top of the filler. No idea about the low fuel warning light yet.

When I asked OL about what to expect they had no idea and asked me to tell them when I found out!!

The scanguage is an interesting product but the default fuel usage figures are way off and has to be calibrated. This is done at each fillup, but with the 160 tank this ain't done very often. :D

Russell

FTN51-1.jpg

Last edited:
best i check it out.that tank is different to the one i have.the one they have put in fit's straight in without the removal of anything but the original tank. they reckon they've used the original fuel guage sensor. you would think you'd be able to save the settings rather than calibrating the scanguage every time.

cheers dave

Scanguage

All scanguages have to be calibrated, over time as well to keep proper track of fuel, distance and usuage if you want it to be accurate.

i looked at that one but they reckon they can't fit a gauge to it so it's pretty much guess work to know how much you have left in it.

I have also had a 160 litre tank by Opposite Lock to my 2008 D40 STX. Am currently trying to calibrate the fuel guage. At the moment the fuel guage starts to move after 60 litres and has used 115 litres at 1/4 full. I am also in the process of calibrating the Scanguage which will be a big help. Has anybody got any better information on similar setups.

Russell

That's the same ballpark figures as I get RBarter...same tank and I fill until I can see diesel in the filler neck....at quarter there is 40 ltrs left in the tank.

Last edited:
Opposite lock 160L tank

I've got an opposite lock tank. Haven't been able to fill more then 140l from new otherwise it leaks. Does anyone else have this problem? Do they come with an overfill valve or should I get back in contact with opposite lock?

Thanks

Rafael

Rafael

I believe that all fuel tanks should be completely sealed. That is why we have the type of fuel filler cap on our tanks. They are designed to allow the ingress of air but not the release of fuel vapours.

Suggest you bounce it back if you can't get the full capacity into it or it leaks like that.

PeterD

I've got an opposite lock tank. Haven't been able to fill more then 140l from new otherwise it leaks. Does anyone else have this problem? Do they come with an overfill valve or should I get back in contact with opposite lock?

Thanks

Rafael

Rafael - my OL 160ltr tank was fitted by Hume Off Road in Canberra. Great job and absolutely no leaks. Reckon there is either a loose hose fitting or there is a fault in the manufacture.....perhaps a small crack in a welded seam??

Thanks for the replys.

Took it back to the closest Opposite Lock which at the moment is Alice Springs. There is a leak but they can't fix it, according to them it has to be organised by the initial branch that installed the tank. Thank goodness I am heading back up to Rockhampton in 3 weeks time. Till then will only be able to fill the tank with about 110L.

Rafael

Thanks for the replys.

Took it back to the closest Opposite Lock which at the moment is Alice Springs. There is a leak but they can't fix it, according to them it has to be organised by the initial branch that installed the tank. Thank goodness I am heading back up to Rockhampton in 3 weeks time. Till then will only be able to fill the tank with about 110L.

Rafael

...and be careful you don't ingest any water in the meantime

I had the auxiliary tank that I linked to in message #8 on Tuesday. It leaves the original tank in place so if there is any problems all I have to do is to blank off the input to the main tank where the aux empties into. The new tank sits higher than the main. So far I have travelled 300 km since I filled it and the fuel gauge has not started to drop.

As an aside - the link I put in #8 was broken due opposite Lock reorganising their web site. I have now fixed it plus I have added the manufacturers site.

PeterD

I have just fitted an LRA (Long Range Automotive) tank to my D40 last week. I had a quote from an online supplier for $1050 delivered but ARB matched is so ordered through them. I was told delivery would be around 8 weeks but turned up a few days later.
The tank came with everything required to fit it including fairly good instructions allowing me to fit it myself in around 4hours. The arm on the fuel sender float needs to be extended by cutting and brazing in a short piece of rod, which is supplied, so you need access to an oxy set, other wise a bit of filing and cutting and extending a few wires is all that is required.
I did look at the auxiliary tank that Long Ranger make but they are more expensive, you vulnerable plastic tank is still in place and you still only end up with a total of 150lt.

Cheers

I got the LRA 150lt tank supplied and fitted for a grand at my local 4x4 shop they used the origional sender unit and modified Ill have to check if it does the 60 lt before the fuel gauge moves thing.
Couldnt imagine why it would do that tho the sender unit works on the level of fuel rather than volume and if its modified like diesel said he did it should work fine.
Maby in the case of using 115 litres of fuel before the gauge decides to move the sender unit maby located too low in the tank and should be raised and lengthened to suit the tank??? just food dor thought

I'd be more worried about sucking in that red bull-dust , make sure they clean your tank for you

I also run a LRA tank , never liked having to drill a main tank just so that the 2nd tank can plumb into it , and you sure cant go past steel , I calibrated may tank so that the light comes on at 125L leaving me with a nice cushion to get to a servo if I'm out west. I have heard that other have set theirs to 10L only bugger that

Cheers Marty

Latest posts

Back