Custom intake and airbox

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old pipe was 2", new pipe is 3". Locations shouldn't make a difference its measuring the Mass of Air or the density over a given interval. Yes the air will flow slower at the bottom of the pipe as opposed to the top but I"m certain this will have little or no effect on the sensor's function. The pic is deceiving its mounted at about 15 degrees on the bend.

If its returning incorrect values I can easily make a new one and move the location closer to the lid

i'm not up on the play with mass air sensors but i would think that its measuring a % of air thats flowing in the tube. a bigger tube means more air will miss the sensor and it will read lower than it should. all it will do is under fuel it.
i don't know how much the pipe change will effect it, it may be minor.

Going from 2.5" to 3' is a 44% change in internal volume so changing the pie diameter to a larger size will have a negative effect on performance. I'm going to have a think about it and redesign the system. The airbox is poorly designed and made and wont seal when submerged due to the lid deforming when I welded it.

Put everything back together today and took it for a spin. due to the increased intake pipe sizing it is not getting enough fuel down low so its a little gutless until you hit 1400rpm then wow off she does.

As long as I keep the revs about 1500 it still pulls like a truck. On full noise doing 3500rpm in 4th gear EGT's are at 400ish and she is doing about 130km/h. Intake temp is about 50 degrees and the W2A is taking about 120 degrees out of the air. I've never seen post turbo get about 160.

The air box is not finished yet I still need to do some more welding but my god it whistles and sucks hard down the 4" snorkel. It goes in for sliders and scrub bars this week so Ill post up some pics of the finished product when I get is back

Yeah sort of. I ended up pulling the snorkel and air box out when I put the compound turbo kit on and just running a large K&N filter at the moment. I plan to mainly do offroad racing so having a snorkel is not needed unless racing in muddy conditions. I do have the provisions to plumb the 4" snorkel back in but will need to run a remote air box as I have no room in the engine bay.

Nice unit- how much$$$$ ;)

About $400 - $450. Not cheap I know, keeps it semi stock for a filter, patrol zd30 air filter.

Still kind of on my wish list. Cause as you know with the top mount it's a dogs job changing the air filter, this unit looks so much easier

Just make sure the MAF sensor is in 2.5" piping. I found I lost a lot of low down fuelling running it in the 3" piping and it was very sluggish off the line. I did buy a voltage modifier from Jaycar to solve the issue but never installed it

I spent $700 dollars on a stainless airbox the other day, 4 inch inlet and 3 inch outlet into a 2.5 inch elbow.
I had to tidy it up a bit, wasn't very happy about that. Especially for the money. It was pretty rough i thought, welds are nice but just little things, i can be pretty picky at times though.
Now the mission to hook it up to the factory snorkel.
I'll throw some pics up in the next couple of days.

My current intake system. The biggest 3" K&N air filter I could buy and fit. Its 9" long, product code is RE-0810

Okay so ive only got a crap picture of the airbox and then a few of the finished install. Was an absolute nightmare, took me a total of about 8 hours to figure it all out, trimming bits and pieces to get it to all fit decently.
But anyway it turned out pretty good, sounds great and im sure the car is going better.

Attachments

• 20150910_170250.jpg
    20150910_170250.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 20150918_174128.jpg
    20150918_174128.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 20150918_174134.jpg
    20150918_174134.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 282

Latest posts

Back