Body flex

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carchania

Reaction score
Hey all

Done a search but I think I'm not putting in the correct parameters. Took the Mrs and kids camping at lcmp on the long weekend. After we got home and I was washing the car I noticed it looks like the canopy has hit the back of the cab. Is there really that much movement between the two? I have about inch and half gap between them normal so it's a fair amount of movement. Is there any way to limit this?

Following this aswell.
Mines only showing on the passenger side, i know my canopy need a little adjusting but its very minimal

Last edited:
Hey mate

Having watched that clip, does one just despair at dual cabs? Is it a design fault inherent in them as the ford bloke implied? Would wider springs and better placement of the shocks actually help ease it like he said they did with the f-truck? Should I just follow my dream and get an f truck anyway? (Scratch that. Mrs would kill me)

I get a reasonable amount of side to side flex on my d22, but haven't had any forward movement for the tub or canopy to touch the cab. I wouldn't have any more gap than what you have and I have wiring running between the canopy and the cab for lights on the roof too which hasn't been squashed. I guess it depends on the type of tracks you are doing, but I wouldn't expect to have the cab touch the canopy with that kind of gap...

Mate, I'm easing the Mrs and youngest into so we did some very very basic tracks. I'm just surprised there is that much flex. Just hoping there is something I can do to reduce it otherwise it isn't very confidence inspiring

Yeah I took a photo with my phone yesterday. I'll upload it after work this arvo. John I have box section in the two side channels on the canopy and bolted through them and the canopy to the top of the tub specifically so the canopy wasn't going anywhere. Am in the process of making a rack like Scott has for sale so am a bit worried I may have to make it canopy size only

My thoughts too. If a fibreglass canopy has flex in it, it won't last very long... not with the amount of movement you must be getting to have cab to canopy contact anyway...

The D40 has a light chassis and a very long wheel base, the only way to limit the flex is to lighten the load and have the softest suspension possible.

Is it possible, and legal, to get some bracing bars put in the chassis then. Or would that cause other problems

Certainly possible. Seen a couple of Patrols that have had a extra brace across the chassis rails about over the rear axle. Legal? dunno. The two patrols I saw the guys just did it. It's difficult to say if it would cause other problems.

U will get some movement between cab and tub.

The f trucks get a lot because they have c channel type chassis rails like most tray trucks etc. They really do flex a lot.

Our dual cabs have boxed chasis rails and dont flex as much.

I think u will find the bracing on the patrols is to strengthen the rear spring/shock tower which can crack under loads offroad.

i just watched that you tube video.

wow, some of those trucks really move around.

i also note the f truck DOES now have a boxed chassis. some of the older ones definately dont, i have seen a donor rolling chassis parked on slightly uneven ground and there is a noticable ammount of twist happening.

Latest posts

Back