Clunk from Park to drive

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieKane

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sometimes when I have parked the nav on a slope shut it down and start it back up a day later I have a bad sound from the tranny.

Its like it stuggles getting into drive. Its when I shift the selector from Park to Drive. Makes a loud clunk. Doesn't happen all the time.

Should I be concerned or is there anything to look for?

Cheers

Kane

there is a lot of load on the gearbox when parked on a slope, as it's holding the car. My auto clunks horribly when I come out of park on a slope in either direction. Also, if I change gear to fast, I get a clunk through the drive train, which is just all the slack taking up through the drive train

^ That doesn't happen to me but it must be the way I park on a slope. I engage the handbrake first, let the car settle on the brake (gearbox in neutral) and THEN engage Park. I'm just eccentric, I guess. I don't like putting that much pressure on the parking pawl.

Parking Clunk

I'm not certain about todays Cars, but in the Yesteryear a Parking Pawl was only
about the thickness of a Pencil, and was very easy to Shear with miss use! I
know this because of my miss use of a "Ford" 250 Auto Ute I owned from
very near new!

I have no Idea of the size of Parking Pawls Nowadays, and with the doughts of
todays improvements, I believe Top Tony is very close to the mark!

Try his ways for once, see how it feels,

highway man!:deadhorse2:

^ That doesn't happen to me but it must be the way I park on a slope. I engage the handbrake first, let the car settle on the brake (gearbox in neutral) and THEN engage Park. I'm just eccentric, I guess. I don't like putting that much pressure on the parking pawl.

Spot on Tony, with any auto box I always put in neutral, handbrake on foot off brake pedal and let the handbrake take the load then put it in park.

Thanks for the input guys. I have noticed a big difference now in summer. It seems to do it worse on cold mornings. I have also noticed the handbrake feels a bit worn so will look at it shortly.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back