D22 vs D40 engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
hey all,
i was just wondering what exactly is the difference between the d40 and d22 engine as the d22 engine is advertised and spoken of as a down tuned d40 engine.

is it actual physical changes like bore size or something which leads it to be down tuned?

if not, is it then possible to put a d40 ecu in the car? might just gain an extra 26kw or something i think.

cheers,
george

Mate I don't think you could get the power just by changing the computer. I think the fuel pump is physically different and also the turbo itself. You can buy a performance chip which brings it close to the standard D40 in power. On the same token you can chip the D40 which will make it more powerful again. The D22 is a fair bit lighter than the D40, the Nissan salesman told me that was why they made them less powerful. I think that the real reason for doing it is because they wouldn't sell any D40's if it had the same power.

Oh yeah I'm assuming you are referring to the 08 model D22 as earlier models are completely different. ie. different motor.

From what ive heard, the turbo is different and thats it, but i havent looked into it that much. As Jon said the reason its de tuned is so it doesnt look as good against the D40. I wouldnt think there would be too much different, Intercooler might be different?

without getting hold of the parts manuals its hard to tell exactly. the D22 YD25 is basically the 2WD D40 motor. different intercooler and retuned.

before chipping it i would do reliability mods eg add a fan to the intercooler, exhaust etc.

its probably detuned to save the driveline more than anything, tho it would have been nice to have 110kw like the old ones. however change of intercooler could be another reason.

its probably detuned to save the driveline more than anything.

Its a shame the diesel navs were given a weaker driveline. Any one heard of the gearbox going in the D22's? Thatd be one of the bigger differences between the D22 2.5 and D40...

without getting hold of the parts manuals its hard to tell exactly. the D22 YD25 is basically the 2WD D40 motor. different intercooler and retuned.

before chipping it i would do reliability mods eg add a fan to the intercooler, exhaust etc.

its probably detuned to save the driveline more than anything, tho it would have been nice to have 110kw like the old ones. however change of intercooler could be another reason.

intercooler fan? i havent heard of that one before. can you just buy them as an upgrade or is it another DIY project for the list? haha

also, something a bit seperate, if i take out my MAF sensor and cover it with my hand and try to rev the engine, will the engine still run fine? because the other day my mate said if you cover it up the car wont run properly, except he put it in his hand tightly, i revved the engine and was fine. how exactly is it supposed to work? more air and it adds more fuel?

cheers, and have a happy new years eve all

Errr....why would you want to cover up the MAF sensor maddogrc? Yes it measures air flow and adjusts fuel quantities to suit (in concert with other sensors), but I don't understand why you would want to play with it.

My advice, don't play with your MAF sensor, if you stuff it Nissan will make you a few hundred bucks lighter for your efforts.

nooo, not stuffing it up or anything. i'm putting on a more high flow air intake because the stock intake hole on the air box is tiny! such a small hole feeding the engine with its needed air just doesnt seem all that good. now that i put on a high flow system and some 3 inch piping for the intake its more responsive, you can hear the turbo nicely, i swear the boost comes on a earlier now.

it's just that when mounting the sensor we were wondering where to put it in the intake tube and somehow got around to how the car still ran fine when i had the sensor in a cloth for protection when i was working on the car, and he kept explaining how the car wouldnt run normally with it covered it, yet it did?

Ahh fair enough, the reason it ran is probably because most ECUs these days ignore the MAF sensor for a few minutes after startup as they aren't that accurate until the heater element in them is up to temp, only after the element temp has settled do they start using the sensor for adjusting the fuel mix.

i can see no other reason for detuning the engine apart from a sales point of view. why do people pay extra for a clubsport over an SS commodore? more power and fancy bits.. just like the D22 and D40.

well back to the engine differences topic...

what if i were to put a d40 chip in the car? would it not work or just destroy it, lol

but yeah, those extra 28kw (98 to 126) would be nice indeed.

intercooler fan? i havent heard of that one before. can you just buy them as an upgrade or is it another DIY project for the list? haha

also, something a bit seperate, if i take out my MAF sensor and cover it with my hand and try to rev the engine, will the engine still run fine? because the other day my mate said if you cover it up the car wont run properly, except he put it in his hand tightly, i revved the engine and was fine. how exactly is it supposed to work? more air and it adds more fuel?

cheers, and have a happy new years eve all

another DIY project. don't think they come with one standard. some patrols used to come with them standard.
top mount IC suffer from heat soak and also its fighting the air flow. also make sure you don't have a bonnet protector.
a lot of the patrol guys are fitting fans to the IC, getting better economy and performance as well as reliability.

MAF sensor is CRITICAL. it runs everything. make sure you keep it and in the stock tube. its not just fuel but also EGR and more importantly turbo operation. stuff it up can cause engine melt down !

not sure if the D40 ECU would work on a D22. you would have to check if the injectors are the same, maf, wiring etc. tho would buying an ECU be any cheaper than an aftermarket chip ??

never heard of gearbox's breaking. certainly diffs and few things like centre bearings. mind you a lot depends on style of driving to.

today while at work a guy came in for a heater element and i noticed he was wearing a nissan shirt, and asked if he worked there; he did!

i asked him about how the 2.5 td new engine is an down tuned engine of the d40, and he explained how its actually a completely different system and with only a 2.5 it still has great torque rating considering its only 98kw.

my new 4x2 08 d22 2.5L td has 304Nm, compared to a 4x4 3L td hilux which has 343Nm. considering its 4x4 and has an extra half a litre, being only 39Nm off isnt too bad i guess

Last edited:
The D22 YD25 engines has a different injection system to the D40 engine so the D40 ECU may have issues with this?

Read something previously and tried to to google it now and the only reference I found was

ENG-TEK

Why don't you just put in a dpchip or dtronic? Would bring the power up close to the D40 with a lot less weight it would have heaps more go than a standard d40.

The D22 YD25 engines has a different injection system to the D40 engine so the D40 ECU may have issues with this?
i don't the injection system itself is any different. the early YD25 was different but the lastest should be the same as the D40. i cannot see nissan spending more $$$ on different parts that do the exact same job.

however if the D22 has normall turbo then ECU will be different, as the D40 ECU controls the variable turbo. different ECU and different tuning.

I'd bet that it's the same ECU just a different program, the Dtronic for the 3.0 Patrol also works on the 3.0 Navara, just not as well as the model made specifically for the Navara as they are a slightly different fuel map due to the differing turbo.

Latest posts

Back