Go Back   The Navara Forum > D22 > D22 Engine

Old 09-03-2019, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Could be. The biggest issue with where you have it mounted is the heat from the motor. You really want to try and move it closer to the front of the engine bay, near the passenger side headlight is ideal. The problem with having it close to the motor is, the can relies on being able to cool the oil vapour to separate the oil from it, to do this it really needs to be cooler than the oil vapour. Bring mounted on the motor it will be the same temperature if not hotter than the oil vapour, so it won't work well if it works at all ( doesn't seem to be). I'd try moving it and hooking it up again and try it.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2019, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bods View Post
Could be. The biggest issue with where you have it mounted is the heat from the motor. You really want to try and move it closer to the front of the engine bay, near the passenger side headlight is ideal. The problem with having it close to the motor is, the can relies on being able to cool the oil vapour to separate the oil from it, to do this it really needs to be cooler than the oil vapour. Bring mounted on the motor it will be the same temperature if not hotter than the oil vapour, so it won't work well if it works at all ( doesn't seem to be). I'd try moving it and hooking it up again and try it.

Will do that mate. Really appreciate the help, thanks alot, once it has been re-plumbed, ill give you an update

Old 09-03-2019, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Garage

as above, mount it in a cool place. above an alternator is just asking for a fire.

also the provents catch cans hold very little oil. pays to fit a long hose and go up in diameter. or plumb it to an oil can (put a thin hose inside the hose to allow air to come up).
there is a good chance its simply filling up and blowing oil through the filter etc and out the outlet.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsy7 View Post
Hey mate, thanks for the quick reply. I have added two photos, one is the set up of the provent catch can and the other is where the air intake pipe runs to the turbo. And i have since removed the catch can and replaced the original piping.

Edit - Sorry so abit more info thats where the leak is occurring, where the intake meets the turbo. there is also a lot of oil being caught in the catch can.
Another thing to check is your plumbing. Not sure about that particular model provent catch can, but with mine the top fitting is from the pcv and bottom is to air intake. Your model might be different though.

I put these back on the wrong way after doing a bit of work on it once. Eventually I had oil leaking from pretty much every seal possible including where yours is leaking, and even all over the gearbox from the rear main lol. Swapped them back around, gave it a degrease and all well lol.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:46 AM

I had a look at the instructions for a provent 150, which I take is what you are using? If so, it is plumbed correctly so disregard ^^^ above lol.

I have mine near the feul filter. I also have the outlet plumbed into the pipe on the inlet side of the airbox, instead of the inlet pipe for the turbo. Except for the time I put the hoses on backwards and had oil everywhere (lol) never had a drop of oil in the turbo. Stays clean and dry as a whistle.

Last edited by Horatius; 09-03-2019 at 06:51 AM.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

The zd30s do have a habit of pushing a fair bit out the breather if they are overfilled or very full of oil apparently, so that wouldn't be helping either probably. As far as the plumbing goes, I've got a forefront one on mine (looks the same as yours, but is a Chinese knock off of the provent) and have the top outlet plumbed to the turbo inlet. It really depends if there is a one way valve in it anywhere, but the way I looked at it is if the can did fill right up, the turbo would get flooded with oil if the outlet on the side of the can was plumbed to the inlet of the motor. At least if the outlet of the can is at the top, oil would start leaking out the gasket for the lid before getting to the outlet hose hopefully...

I do have a yd25 though, but same concept. The forefront one did have an arrow on the cap for direction of flow, but I can't remember if I followed it or reversed it haha. Here's a picture for good measure anyway...

And I know I told you you're better off having it near the front, but the yd25s have no room at all with the factory second battery up there... I haven't got a full engine bay photo, but there is not much room to do anything in there at all...

Old 10-03-2019, 12:56 AM

The yd25 looks a bit tight for room, usually plenty of room on a zd30 to put a catch can out of the way somewhere.

The provent200 does have a type of valve set up, plumb them the wrong way and it basically blocks the pcv system. Not sure about the other models or cheaper knock offs though.

ps. I know there are good reasons to not overfill the sump with oil, but I thought what was being ventilated via the pcv system was pressure/gasses caused by "blow by". I'm not seeing how being on minimum or a bit overfull with oil in the sump would make any difference at all to this, or to the amount of oil vapour in these gasses? Still the same oil pressure, same amount of oil being directed around the place, same compression. Not saying it doesn't, only I don't see how it does.

Last edited by Horatius; 10-03-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

I agree with you, but there has been mentioned by a few people on this forum of excessive oil coming out of the breather when the sump is over full on the zd30. Not sure why either, as it should only be crankcase gas... Just one of those weird things I guess...