Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intercooler Pics.

More again.

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_3168.jpg
    IMG_3168.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 200
Slidedriver said he would do a little write up on his install and its performance when he gets the chance, enjoys the pictures guys.

he needs to do something with the intake. IC to be moved or change of pipes so the turbo intake is not hard up against it. then insulate the turbo intake pipes.
he will run into problems leaving it like that.

also check how the pump is plumbed up. should be at lowest point and after the radiator.

be interesting to see how it goes as the radiator is very small.

interesting pics, be good to hear the full write up of the install and the results.

tweake, care to explain the problem with the turbo intake touching the IC?

Yeah im interested to know the full write up and how much it all costed to buy to see if its any cheaper and easier then any of the other intercooler kits that forum members have used.

Nice pics. Where does the crank case vent hose re-join at the air intake? It's a little difficult to see in the photos.

Cheers

interesting pics, be good to hear the full write up of the install and the results.

tweake, care to explain the problem with the turbo intake touching the IC?
heating intake air which reduces turbo efficiency a lot.
also depending on what rubber they used you could get into problems with the rubber breaking down under such high heat.

i guess it could rub and wear a hole after a while.

i doubt heat would be a prob as that hose runs in to the turbo anyway which id imagine would be quite hot.

its not that the turbo is hot, you want to avoid heating the ingoing air as much as possible.
turbo's really hate hot air.
theres a few on here that have the intake pipes lagged so the turbo outlet pipes do not heat up the intake pipes.

i have talked to someone who had the prefilter off and the intake right next to turbo to intercooler pipe. they where chewing fuel like crazy.

btw just a bit from another forum, they had some improvements with lagging the whole intercooler. i assume it stops the engine bay from heating up the water going through it.

hey guys, sorry for the late reply, thanks to andrew for posting the pics for me, as to the install, very simpe to do once you have your mounts made up, if i can remember where i put it i can tell you everything needed to make your own kit up, pretty simple.

with the intake pipes, nothing rubs on anything, the intake hose gets very close, and the pcv does too, but i've had it for maybe 20,000kms now, checked everything after comments made about rubbing holes in pipes, no wear marks at all, i do agree the heat exchanger is a little on the small side, but any intercooler is better then no intercooler, plus if you chose so, you could just get the 600hp kit's heat exchanger, twice the size and make your own brackets up for that, the 600hp heat exchanger is roughly the same size as the ase front mount air to air cooler, with the pump, it is rigged up on the 'coldside' of the exchanger, the water flows in a clockwise motion, if viewed from the front of the car, water goes through the exchanger, through the pump, into the front of the intercooler (part closest to the radiator) out the back into the remote filler and then back along the side of the engine bay to the exchanger again.

if anyone is interested i can post up more of a write up, but it is very easy to do, if you can do brake pads you can do this :)

id be interested in any info on what is needed for the kit etc, as i will probably end up with one of these kits eventually.

how have you found the system so far? notice any difference driving?

thats cool dude, as i said, i'll try to find my list of parts that i needed and i'll post it up when i can, as to perfomance, it added a little bit, normal driving you dont really notice it, not like how you feel the kick after adding a chip, however it still has added something, there's a hill near a friends place just outside of worrie yallock going to lilydale (for those who know the area) before the chip it would die in the ass and you'd need to gear down to 4th and go up about 80km'h, after the chip it was 5th with a slight taper in perfomance once egt's went up, then you would slightly lose speed, after adding the intercooler it would either hold the speed limit (90km/h) or slightly accelerate up the hill, not much, but noticable if you drive your nav for long enough.....

They look the goods, i measured mine up and played around with paper cut-outs as soon as you put us on to the frozenboost site, what i came up with is the same as yours slide driver, except with different route for the coolant lines and pump. Its all been in the shopping cart for the last three weeks, waiting for funds, cant wait!

tweak'e said:
its not that the turbo is hot, you want to avoid heating the ingoing air as much as possible.
turbo's really hate hot air.
theres a few on here that have the intake pipes lagged so the turbo outlet pipes do not heat up the intake pipes.

i have talked to someone who had the prefilter off and the intake right next to turbo to intercooler pipe. they where chewing fuel like crazy.

btw just a bit from another forum, they had some improvements with lagging the whole intercooler. i assume it stops the engine bay from heating up the water going through it.

What material do you use to lag intercooler pipes? I'm getting all my stuff together to do a similar install if I can.

....... with the pump, it is rigged up on the 'coldside' of the exchanger, the water flows in a clockwise motion, if viewed from the front of the car, water goes through the exchanger, through the pump, into the front of the intercooler (part closest to the radiator) out the back into the remote filler and then back along the side of the engine bay to the exchanger again.

thanks for that. a write up with pics would be very helpful to others.

i would change the pump location and plumbing. those pumps work better if they are the lowest point connecting to the heat exchanger at the lowest point. then pumping up to the highest point before dropping down to the IC.

hot or cold it doesn't matter its just you want as much weight of water on the pumps entry and the least on the pump outlet.

What material do you use to lag intercooler pipes?

most of the ones i've seen just used cheap exhaust wrap.

Anyone looked at using a pj-pk ranger cooler front mounted on the opposite side to the ac thermo? Im thinking this is what ill do, top hose through gap at top of the radiator and bottom hose through resized washer bottle grommet. should leaveme wih enough room to still have my winch, if only my measurments were right. They have plenty of mounting points to be adapted and to mount the oil cooler, and can be had for around 160 on ebay.

This link is purely for dimension but there are a few second handies listed on there aswell.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-RAN...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336e668505

Latest posts

Back