oil removal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not getting dirt by laying on the ground under the sump? Downside is if there are any particles or debris in the oil with the pump you would likely leave it in there?

I cut an access hole in my bash plate and then made a 3 bolt design access cover where you only loosened one bolt and removed the other 2 so it rotated out of the way.
Now I just remove the front 2 bash plates.

mine is a brown davis. it has a removable cover, but you cant have your hand to the side when you take the plug out, so you get covered in oil. also, when the oil flow slows down to a dribble, it drops onto the plate, so you end up with oil dripping all over the place!

I haven't used one, but have seen a one used. They seem to work well.

I don't know about the D40, but the sump plug on a D22 YD25 is positioned too high & there's always a small amount of oil left in the sump after draining via the sump plug anyway.

The smaller version works a treat cleaning up around the inside of the fitting that oil filter spins off of on the YD25. There's always about a table spoon of oil left in there when the filter gets spun off (on mine anyway)

I haven't used one, but have seen a one used. They seem to work well.

I don't know about the D40, but the sump plug on a D22 YD25 is positioned too high & there's always a small amount of oil left in the sump after draining via the sump plug anyway.

The smaller version works a treat cleaning up around the inside of the fitting that oil filter spins off of on the YD25. There's always about a table spoon of oil left in there when the filter gets spun off (on mine anyway)

on mine, when the plug is removed, the oil shoots out too fast and misses the 100mm hole, then the last of it dribbles out. i reckon half the oil would miss the hole.

on mine, when the plug is removed, the oil shoots out too fast and misses the 100mm hole, then the last of it dribbles out. i reckon half the oil would miss the hole.
You could always get one of those fumoto (I think that's their name) drain taps to fit in place of the sump plug. You can attach a length of hose to them and run it down to the drain pan. Apparently they work pretty well. Can't say I've ever used one as I haven't got sump and gearbox plates on my D22.

Last edited:
You could always get one of those fumoto (I think that's their name) drain taps to fit in place of the sump plug. You can attach a length of hose to them and run it down to the drain pan. Apparently they work pretty well. Can't say I've ever used one as I haven't got sump and gearbox plates on my D22.

I actually have one on mine, they work well, but it's a slow drain. The problem on the D40, is the tap sits lower than the sump, and is only about 1-2cm above the bash plate. So i am worried if i bottom out and force the bash plate up, it will rip out the tap!

Ah ok. That's a bit of a pain. It would have been better if the threads were aligned to have the tap to the top but oh well...

Latest posts

Back