Go Back   The Navara Forum > General Discussions > Members Rides

Old 27-04-2018, 12:12 PM

Hi.
I know this is an old thread but on the off chance you still look here occasionally....

Top work. Good write up. The qd32 is a great old motor.

I do have a couple of questions Please, advice from someone who has actually been there and done it.

The break rotors.

I was told the ones off a zd30 d22 wouldn't fit on my qd32 one. Something about ball joint tapers being different? And the calipers won't fit either?. You have obviously done it so the wreckers down here in Albany must be mistaken. How hard of a job was it? The bigger break booster and master cylinder from the zd30 bolt straight on and improved the breaking noticeably . Do you know if the rear drums are any different?

Injector pump tuning.

Iv just done the turbo conversation from a Terrano. Put a 2.5 inch exhaust on as well. Haven't touched the injector pump yet. Do you know how much your timing was changed? Advanced or retarded? I'll do the fuel inrichment using the egt gauge as a guide but I can't find anything solid on timing for a turbo qd32.
I was considering just ripping the pump and injectors off the td27t and putting it on . But The listed timing for the two engines is quite different. Any advice from anyone who has actually done this would be greatly appreciated:-)

Cheers
Sponsored Links

Old 17-07-2018, 04:33 AM

My Mood:
Garage

Hi Mate,

Ive been out of the navara game for a while as the D22 sits in my shed as an ornament waiting for love.

I bought a Terrano R20 so i could continue living the TD27/QD engine life & it fits better as the mrz uses it to walk the dog on the beach.

I dont know anything about the ball joint differences.

The ZD30 rotors are bigger and when you put them on the QD the brake caliper mount is incorrectly spaced.
the caliper sits a bit further out and actually instead of having a lip inside the rotorfor the pad to wear into, the pad sits just juts just outside the rotor. were talking about ~5mm difference i guess.
it will work, just not "stock".
I have been meaning to change over to the zd spindles to have the correct mount. but its just been on the "to do list".

TBH i played with the pump by ear and feel, made a couple of small adjustments, marked each one, then went back to the one that felt the best on the "seat dyno".

when i took it to be tuned i asked the to reset the pump timing and do it properly. well they reset it it (apparently way out of aliment) and the car wouldn't run - so the timing marks must be out.
anyway they ended up putting it back to my markings and it made the most power on the dyno - so i was pretty happy with that.

im no expert but i did a bit of reading that TDs respond well to a few degrees timing, thats not really alot to move the pump by - and its a PITA to undo all the bolts required to move the timing, its was a full weekend process for me - change - drive - change - drive- beer- beer - beer - sleep - change -drive - change - beer - beer etc etc.

anyway, its prob to late to be usefull :)

Ex-Owned
D21 Dual Cab

Garage Lineup :
Nissan 180sx

D22 Dual Cab
Lifted, 235/85/16, Stereo, CB, Turbo'd and Lokka'd

Old 29-03-2019, 11:07 PM

Hay mate. Thanks for the reply. I'm still driving around in the old girl. Use it every day for work. Was doing 1500km a week for 8 months until feb. It has 476000 km on the clock now.
Iv put the td27t injector pump on after putting a seal kit in it , and got some recon injectors from denco diesel . Their "pump room" recommended the qd32 injectors and pump timing. Can't remember off the top of my head what the break pressure was set to on the injectors but the factory timing was .47 @ tdc. Iv set it to that for now but it needs tweaking. Like you say it's a pain to adjust and I just haven't had a spare day or two to play with it yet. It just has to have different timing requirements with the turbo on.?
For anyone interested the td27t pump on my particular qd32 motor has enough adjustment to supply enough fuel to probably melt it at 10psi boost. I'm running 10psi at the moment as the egt seams to run cooler there.
I think 10psi is to much for such an old motor ?? Any thoughts??
Iv given up on better breaking. Got a set of led spotlights from 4WD supacenter so I can see the Roos from further back. Lol. The larger booster and master cylinder from a zd30 d22 make it stop a little better anyways.

Cheers
Grant

Old 30-03-2019, 12:14 AM

My Mood:
Garage

Hi Mate

you should be able to adjust the before boost / on boost curve with the pump to give you the desired fuel / EGT.

The boost level really depends on the EGT. if you have a decent intercooler on the truck id go t town.
My d22 was running 18 Psi through the PWR W2A & stock td27 turbo and qd pump.
My 21 ran various configs,
td27t stock i let it go to about 10psi without intercooler, with a front mount it was about 16psi.
after the turbo blew i put on a gt25 from a silvia, way over sized and i ran that about the same 15psi.
the guy who bought it after me had some actuator trouble and it was running like 25psi for a few months just fine...it had a large over sized intercooler so the egts were allways perfect.

Ex-Owned
D21 Dual Cab

Garage Lineup :
Nissan 180sx

D22 Dual Cab
Lifted, 235/85/16, Stereo, CB, Turbo'd and Lokka'd

Old 05-04-2019, 12:53 PM

You found the TD27t pump enough?

I've just fitted mine, and it's completely smoke-free with the idle screw off the stops. I'm still running a 10mm though.

I also was only able to get decent pump timing by advancing 1 tooth. I'm using the QD32 timing gear though. Did you use the TD27 one?

16psi with TD27 top mount intercooler.

Old 19-05-2019, 12:44 AM

Hi Boriskov.
Yip on my qd32 motor the td27t pump was heaps.
I just assumed the timing gear was the same. Side by side the one on the td27t pump and the qd32 pump were identical so I just lined up the marks then adjusted the pump to .47.
I had to wind the fuel screw in a bit to get it to start. I had the pump totally to bits and put a new seal kit in it so it might not have been exactly as it was in the td27t. In theory the idle screw should stay where it was and adjust the mixture screw until it idles at 750rpm smoke free???
I suspect I may have put the throttle arm back on one spline out on mine.
I did adjust the boost inrichment pin to give it more fuel but egt temps went straight to 500 without much load so I moved it back . There is a stopper under the diaphragm that you could remove to if you need more full boost fuel .
Twist the pin to max fuel, take out stopper , wind the tension off the diaphragm return spring and wind the fuel screw right in and you should be able to melt the old girl into a pile of molten scrap.
https://www.tillix.com.au/mechanical...engine-tuning/ Take a look at this webpage, I found it very helpful for tuning.

UnknOwn, what kind of egt are you comfortable running on your motors?
The mechanic at work says 350c but my truck mechanic mate says 450 and that truck motors start melting at 550 ish.

Cheers
Grant

Old 19-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Just to add to the above, the old rule of thumb used to be 550c post turbo with trucks. The Kenworth I used to drive with a C15 cat in it, the pyro gauge was green until 550c then a small yellow section before going red...

Here you go... Hopefully that works...

Old 19-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Sory I think he said trucks run up to 550 and start melting at 650 , after the turbo. I'm doubting my memory of the conversation now. Dose that sound correct?

Old 19-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah that's about where the red starts lol. New technology is a bit better, the newer diesels, especially smaller ones, run up around 700 pre turbo from the factory... In 4wds that is. Most trucks haven't even got pyro gauges anymore...

The older stuff though, I wouldn't push any higher than 550. My yd25 D22 I try not to go above 550 post turbo. I have the probe mounted in the dump pipe about 50mm from the turbo outlet. It does get up there, especially on decent hills. I'd hate to see what it would be pre turbo...

Old 17-07-2019, 01:06 PM

unkn0wn sent me here, I ended up buying his D22 so now the legend lives on. somewhat. I don't know half what he does

but I have learnt one thing, the part number for the throttle cable for the QD D22 is 18201-2S700
if yours is frayed buy one now cheaper online rather than get slugged the Nissan tax on it. Couldn't find anyone local that even had the part in their system.

also the EGT in the D22 rarely sees over 450, seems to sit around 100 idling and 400 doing 110km/h in 5th. Has been detuned to 12PSI though as the W2A isn't in there anymore. Will maybe one day get that sorted.

If anyone knows whats on the meter fused circuit that can short (well pull 60 amps) when the ute gets puddle jumping wet, I'd like to know. Lost the dash and alt for a day out 4wding after puddles. Confirmed fuse blew, and tested load with a clamp meter and saw 60 amps before I broke the circuit. Still trying to figure that out.