Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice find there dave......much better set up then those front mounts. the less piping the better.

fairly crappy setup. IC way to thick (makes it very hard to get air to go through it), sitting right over the alt which will blow air back up into the IC.
and hes has a bonnet protector which deflects the cooling air away from the bonnet scoop !

if your going to fit it there i would fit a thinner IC, fit a fan under it and get rid of the bonnet protector.

It may not be ideal but it's better than nothing.

i disagree on that !

seriously, its probably more of an interheater than an intercooler. a deep IC that requires decent air flow to cool, no airflow, got hot air blowing up into it........ frankly it would probably run cooler without it.

you have to remember that top mount IC are always fighting against the airflow through the radiator.
depending on how much the front bar and bonnet protector screw up the airflow, the only time it would get any chance of cooling is at very high speed. if the bar and protector screw up the airflow, which is common, it won't do any cooling what so ever.

i can't remember which manufactures, but some do not have bonnet protectors for its top mount IC vehicles for that reason. and having the scoop closer than normal just makes it worse.

Attachments

• 4305086.jpg
    4305086.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 4305091.jpg
    4305091.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
yeah but if you didn't have such a thick intercooler and didn't have a bonnet protector i reckon it would be ok.
i sent the guy an email on the enquiry part asking him about it.
if you went an intercooler like 50 or 60 mm thick the air would travel through it better.

About time you came over Kickars2, its given me ideas. You can always remove the bonnet protector.

Dave.

just stick a thermo fan on

no room as its basicly sitting on top of the alternator. you would have to change the IC. also fan doesn't do jack if there is no air to suck in because the protecector and bar push all the air away from the scoop.

last minute thought......what happens to all the rain water, its goes through the scoop, IC and ends up in the alternator !

no room as its basicly sitting on top of the alternator. you would have to change the IC. also fan doesn't do jack if there is no air to suck in because the protecector and bar push all the air away from the scoop.

last minute thought......what happens to all the rain water, its goes through the scoop, IC and ends up in the alternator !

hopefully the guy has emailed me and said if it made a difference of not.
i dont know about you guy's but i hose everything in my engine bay, and put degreeser on everything in it, and haven't had a problem yet ah.

quote"last minute thought......what happens to all the rain water, its goes through the scoop, IC and ends up in the alternator !"

:idea: Water to air intercooler/alternator when it rains :idea:

Most cars are designed to allow air to enter the engine bay through the radiator and leave through the bottom of the engine bay to the road. This is the natural path of the air. Lots of factors will effect the efficiency of the newly installed IC, eg. air flow resistance of the IC, location of the bonnet scoop and the new path of the air flow. For example, if the air flow resistance of the new scoop and IC is less than the radiator it could actually starve the radiator of full flow (worst case scenario and unlikely). There are so many variables that short of putting it in a wind tunnel it is very difficult to ascertain the full effects of installing it.

Very interesting article here.

Who know's about intercooler's.

I am gonna get one.

Whats the best size, piping dont bother me. Ill get the guy that did my exhaust to make them for me.

It will be front mount, it ain't gonna fit as a top mount.

Dave.

would like one myself, increases economy by ~10%.
however all the ones i've seen have the bottom pipe right at the front. if you nose the ute into something ie a ditch you will smash the intercooler pipe. no problem for a tarseal drivers but for those who actually go offroad its something to watch. also the tend to fill up with mud, leaves, grass etc.
top mount is safer but would proberly require a body lift to fit it and need fan for it to work properly.

navar i haven't used it but i have photos of that kit.
ill post them cause i got them to send me some of the kit.
im gonna get that kit soon as well
see attached

Attachments

• Navara  2r 032.jpg
    Navara 2r 032.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 386
  • Navara Intercooler 027.jpg
    Navara Intercooler 027.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 397
  • Navara 3r 041.jpg
    Navara 3r 041.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 324
the best bet is to do it all yourself. get a chinese copy cooler, modify one of the end tanks and buy the bends locally. i did these with my last car and you save a shit load.

Latest posts

Back