Takata airbag recall: Is your car on the list?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arrr, it`s only the passenger`s side! lol, wow, this recall is going to shut the business it`ll be $500,000,000 just in parts for australia if there`s over a million cars affected.

Apparently they have already filed for bankruptcy, so there's doubt as to whether the recall will be completed...

That doesn't help if they can't get replacement parts....

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Anyone with Thai D40's had theres replaced? I have been reading now that some have been replaced with Takata units that may give the same problem. No bloody good if they replace the same unit with new of same type.
I would rather disarm the thing. Is there a way of doing this? Better no Air bag (if ilegal) than one that will decapitate you.
Would the Spanish built version of what ever they use be able to fitted to the Thai built trucks?

I've had mine out (Spanish, but same principle because the units are near identical). If you unplug the yellow plug from the airbag (black cable from the clock spring to the air bag) it won't be able to arm itself. There's a small plastic retaining clip you have to lift to unlock the plug, then pop the plug out. Airbag disarmed.

The drawback is that the airbag light on the dash will blink forever unless you put in an "Airbag Simulator" like this (cheap, too!). Or even cheaper still is black insulation tape over the spot where the light flashes, although that will cause the ECU to know the airbag's missing.

Thanks Tony for your advice and link. Didn't know things like Airbag simulators existed. As usual you are walking encyclopedia on Navaras :)

Easy option is to take it back to Nissan for a another degenerating Nakata AirBag. I'll probably off load the thing before it needs replacing- again.

I could live with not having an Airbag fitted but with further thought I wouldn't feel right to sell it without one fitted.

Guys, it's all over now for vehicles fitted with Takata airbags.

They are now recalling ALL Thai built D40 Navaras. To make sure, you should check this web page here. If you look at this web page you'll find a full list of all VINs in Excel format. Nissan themselves (on this page) tell us it's the Thai builds exclusively.

I have been through the lists and have not found any VSK prefixed VINs in the lists so Spanish-built cars are safe.

The recall is COMPULSORY. Sad fact is that Takata airbags are very dangerous.

Don't delay. Contact your nearest dealer and get it fixed. You can't predict when an accident will occur and if it happens and you lose an eye (or worse) you won't be a happy camper.

Do you have the VIN list for D22's as well Tony?
All I see is that my 2011 may be effected but it didn't say if it was a D22 or D40, just Navara.

Just to back up what oldtony already said:

I rang my nissan dealer in the adelaide hills yesterday and they entered my vin into the nissan database.
They then told me its spanish built which means all clear, recall is on the Thai built only
My advice if you have a thai built is ring nearest nissan dealer ASAP and book in

Airbags are life savers when they function correctly
Please dont diasarm your airbag unless absolutely essential

If the dealer tells you it’s going to be a couple of months until the recall is completed would you then consider disabling the airbags?
I’ve never used an airbag in anger (no crashes) but would hate to think it could be more dangerous to have it go off than not.

The accc has said dont drive the vehicle until airbag is repaired
Which is borderline impossible for most people

Really the dealer has to repair immediately

But if that doesn't happen then yeah i probly would disable it in the meantime

Dont like the sounds of "metal shards projected into face"

Latest posts

Back