Pajero Sport vs D22 YD25

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinE

Reaction score
Sat 1st in the queue at the lights in my massively powerful stock 98kw YD25 D22 today & a brand spanking new Pajero Sport pulls up in the other lane. As those of us who drive these know, everyone who owns a 4x4 loves to let us know that theirs is quicker (we're such easy targets) & this guy was no exception! So, the light goes green & he gunned it. I took off normally, no slipping of the clutch & no over revving. 1st gear change he was flogging the daylights out of his new pride & joy, but only managed to be about 1/3rd of a car length in front me! 2nd gear change & the D22 was pretty much along side of him, but still not having revved over 3K, 3rd gear & it overtook him! Still haven't revved over 3K!

The only car I've ever driven that was slower than a D22 YD25 was a Vauxhall Viva! but it seems that the new Pajero Sport is a contender for the title!

The guy might have been in 4LO I guess, but if you rearrange the letters of the vehicle manufacturer, you get Mishitibus. I've owned two (L300 and a Magna) and both were out-stripped at the lights by skateboards, mobility scooters and deceased cats - not to mention things that had petrol/diesel engines in them!

Mitsubishi Evo anyone?
My brother has a chipped 2011 2.5 triton and it is easily the fastest diesel 4x4 ute out there, with around 700nm
Brother in law has the new triton with the 2.4 diesel and it seems more sluggish
Unchipped though, makes a huge difference

we must not forget the price difference between the D-22 and all other 4 x 4 uts on the market. the D-22 is the winner.

Tritons were almost as cheap a couple of years ago.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Mitsubishi Evo anyone?
My brother has a chipped 2011 2.5 triton and it is easily the fastest diesel 4x4 ute out there, with around 700nm
Brother in law has the new triton with the 2.4 diesel and it seems more sluggish
Unchipped though, makes a huge difference

700nm cmon:wristy::wristy::rofl2:

The YD25 is capable of similar results. From this thread (yes, another site, but Bluenavara is a user here too) you can get to see what some decent modifications can achieve. Page 8 of that thread has a link to a movie (click here to get it without ads) and page 9 has dyno results. There's also a YT vid of the truck on the dyno here.

One observation (made by Bluenavara in that thread) is that massively increasing vehicle power output would put the driveline at risk, and in particular the transfer case. The chain in the transfer case just may not hold when you increase the power by a huge amount. The rear diff can handle the power, but the transfer case and front diff were not designed for it - if you're going to ramp up the ponies, don't count on using 4WD unless you replace both of those!

Yep Stacks of power available from the yd25 if high boost and fuel pressure applied. Id never do it to my d40 though the poor thing gets abused enough as it is
You can hear the driveline in the triton thrumming and groaning when under full acceleration
3rd gear went ping within about 2 months, Mitsubishi fixed under warranty, the chip was removed before assessment
Then just before warranty was up Mitsubishi contacted and said there was a recall of the 4D56 2.5 diesel for porosity of the block. ie bubbles in the cast alloy. So whole new engine was installed
I know a few people that scored new engines from Mitsubishi under this recall

And......... today it was a Fortuner!

Ol' mate lined me up at the lights in his pride & joy, with a very smug look on his face, but couldn't pull away from the D22.

Probably loaded up to GVM with all of his accessories lol!

i think they are playing with your head, or you need to cut down on the flu meds (((-; mines no rocket ship anyway (((-;

You'll have to put some racing numbers on the side Kevin.

John, someone could put it in gear, drop the clutch and I could jump out of the passenger seat & start running with safety boots on & still beat it over 100M

Having owned a older 2.5 diesel pajero sport I can say it would have killed the d22 performance wise!
Reliability on the other hand the zd30 d22 seems to be quiet difficult to kill.
375000ks on mine now of towing and the motor is still untouched.

Latest posts

Back