confused about DPF

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiezzy

Reaction score
Hi there to all ok I have a 2011 Spanish Build STX550 and was wondering did these models come out with a DPF in them and if so how would I identify where it is and what it looks like and do they clog up eventually .
also can they be removed or bypassed if they cause an issue any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
cheers Pete

The manual I have describes a V9X "without DPF". There will be a simple way to tell if yours has one or not - get underneath and follow the exhaust.

There will be a pipe that comes out of the turbocharger and into a larger cylindrical gizmo that has a small pipe angled off to one side at its other end. This is called the "oxydation catalytic converter" (that's how the manual spells it).

This pipe will then continue back towards what looks like (and is) a muffler.

If there's NOTHING else in the exhaust, you don't have a DPF. I don't think the DPF is combined into the catalytic converter (CAT). Usually they have different functions - the CAT is designed to reduce NOx in the exhaust, while the DPF is designed to reduce soot (unburnt/partly burnt diesel, heavy ash).

The DPF has at least two sensors for pressure before and after the filter matrix and may also have a temperature sensor, so you would expect to find at least two electrical connections to the DPF. These are necessary for a DPF to function, so if you don't find them, there's probably no DPF.

there will be a light on your dash (cylinder looking thing with a puff of smoke symbol) which should illuminate when a DPF clean is happening is happening!
owners manual should mention it!

Thanks guys much appreciated I have attached 2 images is this a DPF

/Users/standarduser/Desktop/DPF1.JPG
/Users/standarduser/Desktop/DPF2.JPG

DPF1.JPG

DPF2.JPG

sorry my first lot of images I did incorrect my apologise
and no there is no light I can see on the dash unless I missed it Ericcs
cheers Pete

V9X EXHAUST SYSTEM
Exhaust System
There are 2 Oxidisation Catalysts in the Exhaust System of the V9X Engine. The 1st is directly after the
Turbo Charger unit. The 2nd is located downstream – underneath the drivers seat.
Further detail & precautions regarding the components shown right can be found in the ESM as follows;
B ENGINE > EX (Exhaust System)
NOTE:
A Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is not fitted to V9X engines destined for the Australian market.

thanks for that Bazt I re read Tony's reply and worked out it is a oxydation catalytic converter what happens when you convert over to a 3" system from turbo to tail it looks like the Catalytic converter is not on the system they also sell delete pipes for these does this damage the engine if it is removed for a 3" system thanks again for your help
cheers Pete
'

I've been running with a 3" straight thru system on mine for 3 years. Only a small "hot dog" type muffler at the rear to take the bark out of it.

You won't get any engine damage by removing the CAT. The CAT is designed to reduce NOx (nitrogen oxides) emissions from the exhaust so your car doesn't cause as much damage to the atmosphere. There is no function in the CAT that affects the motor. Because it's turbocharged, the energy of the exhaust stream is consumed by the turbocharger, and any backpressure afterwards actually impedes the turbo (that's why straight-through exhausts are effective).

Latest posts

Back