Problem with new Suspension.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice_berg86

Reaction score
Need help.

I just installed new Dobson lifted springs in the front along with lovells struts. The one problem I have is the body has a lean of 40mm to the drivers side, it's the same for the rear.

It already had a lean of 40mm before I started, I just assumed the springs were sagging. Not sure what to do.

The rear springs are original.

Another problem I have is there is a small knocking sound coming from the front left that I can't find, it sounds like something is lose. I have checked and tightened everything a few times.

So I got new tyres today (265/70/17) and after talking to the guys there they think the right rear leaf spring has sagged and that's why the car is leaning so much. Looks like I will need to get some new springs or reset the old ones.

I'm still at a loss with the the knocking sound, I disconnected the sway bar thinking it may of been that but it's still there. The top ball joint looks good, not sure about the bottom one.

Any ideas ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If you had a lean before and now with new springs you still have it. That is a worry. Guys that fit suspension usually measure all the springs uncompressed and put the tallest on the drivers side.

Ah, just re read and you just changed the front. Could be a bad rear spring but 40mm is a lot. I know of one D40 where the mounting point for the rear shackle on the D/S was higher on the chassis rail where it goes thru it.

How is the front ride height in relationship to the back?

As for the knocking sound I have no clues.

There was some Thai D40's that had dodgie chassis from the get go.

I put a jack between the chassis and the right rear spring last night and it brought the front right up so that should be an easy fix.

It only makes the knocking sound on bigger or sharp bumps.

The knock sounds like the nut on top of the strut hasn't been tightened properly, but i know it has been. I might change the new washer over to the old one and see if that does anything as its a different shape. The new one is curved and the old one is flatter.

i just jacked up the front left and the control arm isn't anywhere near hitting the spring bucket. i even stood on the wheel to make it drop further and it didn't hit.

seems to only have 30mm of downward travel.

Guarantee if everything is installed right, with a lift kit. There will be contact on the bucket

Guarantee if everything is installed right, with a lift kit. There will be contact on the bucket

My truck has a good 50mm lift over standard ride height and it doesn't hit. However I think it's shock travel that is stopping it from doing so. Not good either. One guy told me to put a couple more washers on top of the shock but don't feel like pulling it apart just to do that.

My truck has a good 50mm lift over standard ride height and it doesn't hit. However I think it's shock travel that is stopping it from doing so. Not good either. One guy told me to put a couple more washers on top of the shock but don't feel like pulling it apart just to do that.

Shit load cheaper then new ball joints or uca haha
It's still a pain job though

Sent via smoke signals

Shit load cheaper then new ball joints or uca haha

Ok bit of subject now which probably not helping the OP but do you think it will bugger them up?
I was kind of thinking over time it might stuff the shockie as the down travel is being limited by piston in the shock. I might have to do something about as it don't want to stuff my Bilstiens.

Just a bit of any update.

This might sound bad but i have given up on trying to find the noise. It has been doing my head in trying to find it and since it only makes the noise when it feels like it, it makes it hard to find. (Could be simple as worn body mount etc.)
One example is, there is a small flood way near home and it knocks going one way but doesn't going in the other way.

The lean i haven't been able to figure out, i installed different springs and swapped the left rear spring over and it didn't change it. I am going to swap the front struts & springs over and see if that does anything but i don't think it will.

Every chance the chassis my be bent / twisted... What are peoples thoughts on putting a spacer to the front right strut just to level it up?

I had a clunk when I drove into the driveway from a certain direction.
New steering rack bushes, gone

Problem solved.

Long story short, about 3 weeks ago i hit a roo driving home. No bullbar doing 80km and it wrote the car off (about $15k worth of damage). Just waiting for the final payout from the insurance company to buy another D40.

What i found out was the car had been written off 2 times before this, so that will explain the 40mm lean. They did offer that i can buy the car back for $3,800 which i'm considering.

The next one will have a bullbar haha.

I had a clunk when I drove into the driveway from a certain direction.
New steering rack bushes, gone

Did you do the job your self ?
if so... was it difficult? Pics? Part No. For.bushes?
Any Do's and Don'ts ?

im not a mechanic but I have done top&bottom ball joints, front and rear struts and springs, front wheel bearing hubs,rocker cover and injectors seal and a few.other nick knacks... all thanks to this forum!

!Cheers !

Problem solved.

Long story short, about 3 weeks ago i hit a roo driving home. No bullbar doing 80km and it wrote the car off (about $15k worth of damage). Just waiting for the final payout from the insurance company to buy another D40.

What i found out was the car had been written off 2 times before this, so that will explain the 40mm lean. They did offer that i can buy the car back for $3,800 which i'm considering.

Must of copped a fair whack and twisted the chassis previously, not the nicest way to find out but now you can move on.

Did you do the job your self ?

if so... was it difficult? Pics? Part No. For.bushes?

Any Do's and Don'ts ?

im not a mechanic but I have done top&bottom ball joints, front and rear struts and springs, front wheel bearing hubs,rocker cover and injectors seal and a few.other nick knacks... all thanks to this forum!

!Cheers !

I didn't do it no, but helped my mechanic as I don't have stands at home. You'll need to get it up to get a breaker bar on the bolts.

Piece of piss really very easy job after that. This is the one I bought, because mines Thai, contact them if your Spain I guess.
So glad I did it, very big difference
cfd30d2c6924c8983746956801105077.jpg

Problem solved.

It's so wrong that written-off vehicles end up back on the road.

It's so wrong that written-off vehicles end up back on the road.

It depends on what writes the car off. As far as insurance goes, if you buy a second-hand Nissan Micra for $3,000 and a trolley scrapes down the side in a shopping centre, it'll cost more than $3K to fix so they'd consider it a write-off.

If it's structural damage, the vehicle shouldn't see the road again (my opinion).

Latest posts

Back