Tail lights stay on, brake lights not working

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the fuse box against the firewall behind the airbox? The "hidden" one?

If so, that has about 8 relays in it from memory...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Yeah I think so, the picture they have is the rear most fuse box

Nah couldn't say to be honest. I haven't got a D40 either so can't even check...

Which manual do you have? I will upload a copy of the electrical section I have here and have a look in it and see what you reckon.

Cobez, the problem is directly related to the very last thing that happened before you had a problem.

Look at the simple stuff first.

If you have a tow bar, try unplugging the trailer connector from the vehicle's wiring loom.

If you did ANY mods involving wiring, try removing those mods. Especially any earth wiring onto the body or chassis.

I think that you likely have an earth wire issue.

If you have an Anderson Plug on the rear bar, or in the tub, rear seat etc, remove the wiring from the battery & the earth it's screwed into.

good luck!

Cobez, the problem is directly related to the very last thing that happened before you had a problem.

Look at the simple stuff first.

If you have a tow bar, try unplugging the trailer connector from the vehicle's wiring loom.

If you did ANY mods involving wiring, try removing those mods. Especially any earth wiring onto the body or chassis.

I think that you likely have an earth wire issue.

If you have an Anderson Plug on the rear bar, or in the tub, rear seat etc, remove the wiring from the battery & the earth it's screwed into.

good luck!

Removed the head unit and reverse camera which were the last few things i did. Still the same. No towbar at all or Anderson plugs etc.

I dont run fridges or solar panels or any of that stuff at all. Used to a long time ago but not these days.

Fair enough lol. Good luck with it anyway. In that manual it mentions the parking and tail lights should have a delay for up to 10 min after the ignition switch is turned off and the light switch is turned on. It says if this isn't working (staying on longer than 10 min) then the ignition sense relay is at fault, the problem is it then goes on to say use a consult unit to run system tests, which doesn't help you...

The circuits should both be connected though, so if the tail lights are on the parking lights should be too....

Sorry to jump in on this so late.

Could you check (and perhaps take apart again) the wire for the head unit that tells the head unit that the car's lights are on? It might be labelled "parkers" or "dimmer" or such. If the wiring for the stereo itself is wrong (unplugging the head unit doesn't remove the wiring) it may be related to this. There should be an adapter plug for the stereo, but things like handbrake, parker and reverse might have been hooked up manually and this may be the cause.

The other thing - and actually, you might want to try this first - is a bad connection in the tail lights. Grab a 10mm tek bolt bit, chuck it in your cordless screwdriver. Undo the left tail light (2 bolts) and pull it out (it pulls sideways, or directly away from the car to the left of the car, not to the rear). There are three globes and 2 greyish plugs (mine are always covered in dirt so I never remember the colour). Undo the lot, look for dirt and corrosion, clean as needed. While the left light is out and unplugged, is the right light coming on?

Reassemble the left tail light connections, reinstall. Remove the right hand tail light and unplug it. Is the left tail light lit? Check all connections, clean, you know the drill.

My tail lights go all dicky because of a fault in one of the grey connectors on the left tail light. It might be due to the canopy wiring that the dealer's auto electrician added, so that the canopy has both an interior light (powered all the time, even when the ignition is off) and a brake light above the rear window of the canopy. My guy tapped the left hand tail light wiring for this, and a short in any of this could easily cause your issues.

Sorry to jump in on this so late.

Could you check (and perhaps take apart again) the wire for the head unit that tells the head unit that the car's lights are on? It might be labelled "parkers" or "dimmer" or such. If the wiring for the stereo itself is wrong (unplugging the head unit doesn't remove the wiring) it may be related to this. There should be an adapter plug for the stereo, but things like handbrake, parker and reverse might have been hooked up manually and this may be the cause.

The other thing - and actually, you might want to try this first - is a bad connection in the tail lights. Grab a 10mm tek bolt bit, chuck it in your cordless screwdriver. Undo the left tail light (2 bolts) and pull it out (it pulls sideways, or directly away from the car to the left of the car, not to the rear). There are three globes and 2 greyish plugs (mine are always covered in dirt so I never remember the colour). Undo the lot, look for dirt and corrosion, clean as needed. While the left light is out and unplugged, is the right light coming on?

Reassemble the left tail light connections, reinstall. Remove the right hand tail light and unplug it. Is the left tail light lit? Check all connections, clean, you know the drill.

My tail lights go all dicky because of a fault in one of the grey connectors on the left tail light. It might be due to the canopy wiring that the dealer's auto electrician added, so that the canopy has both an interior light (powered all the time, even when the ignition is off) and a brake light above the rear window of the canopy. My guy tapped the left hand tail light wiring for this, and a short in any of this could easily cause your issues.
The odd thing is, the head unit i just put in, is just the newer version of the one that was previously in there. Simple swap out, the plug / loom that was used, has been in there for about 4 years or so now and never had this problem before.

I went over every connector and wire in both the left and right tail lights, took them apart, used contact cleaner, couldn't see any signs of damage etc or any corrosion (i was surprised actually).

I just find it odd that the brake lights now won't work all of a sudden either 🤔

It sounds like there's a harness problem. There are cable runs attached to the sides of the chassis rails, do any of them show any signs of damage, like from a stick/rock strike?

I'm running out of ideas. It sounds like not just the parker and brake circuits are compromised, but a live connection is involved too, and not in a way that makes a lot of sense.

The auto electrician may be needed. :( I just hope it's not too big a problem.

It sounds like there's a harness problem. There are cable runs attached to the sides of the chassis rails, do any of them show any signs of damage, like from a stick/rock strike?

I'm running out of ideas. It sounds like not just the parker and brake circuits are compromised, but a live connection is involved too, and not in a way that makes a lot of sense.

The auto electrician may be needed. :( I just hope it's not too big a problem.
I spent hours yesterday and traced every wire from the rear to the front and all the conduit around the wiring is perfectly in tact with zero damage.

I know! It's doing my nut in not being able to find it. I have disconnected and cleaned so many connectors and points that my finger tips are shredded haha.

I hope its something as simple as a relay. It's just odd that Friday night i got home and the tail lights turned off as normal and stayed off. Saturday morning, i turned the car over and on they came by themselves, didn't so much as touch the indicator stalk and on they stayed.

Very odd. Im hoping its a relay, indicator stalk or the new head unit. Just strange that the head unit would be fine for 2 months then all of a sudden bang, it starts this.

Funny, i am reading my Nissan service manual at work, it states:

"When the intergrated ignition relay is stuck in a "closed contact" position and cannot be turned OFF, IPDM E/R turns ON tail and parking lamps for 10 minutes to indicate IPDM E/R malfunction"

I could have sworn my parkers were off though.

Funny, i am reading my Nissan service manual at work, it states:

"When the intergrated ignition relay is stuck in a "closed contact" position and cannot be turned OFF, IPDM E/R turns ON tail and parking lamps for 10 minutes to indicate IPDM E/R malfunction"

I could have sworn my parkers were off though.

That was the bit I added yesterday and the only way to test it is with a consult unit.

If the front parking lights are definitely off and your brake lights are definitely not working, I'm slightly thinking it could be the brake lights that are stuck on. I'll have to have a look at that service manual and see what else is involved with the brake light circuit. Do you have cruise control fitted to yours? Sometimes with cruise they also have a brake pressure switch fitted to the master cylinder in case the brake light switch fails. I don't know if yours does or if it is even related, but it still seems a really weird problem....

That was the bit I added yesterday and the only way to test it is with a consult unit.

If the front parking lights are definitely off and your brake lights are definitely not working, I'm slightly thinking it could be the brake lights that are stuck on. I'll have to have a look at that service manual and see what else is involved with the brake light circuit. Do you have cruise control fitted to yours? Sometimes with cruise they also have a brake pressure switch fitted to the master cylinder in case the brake light switch fails. I don't know if yours does or if it is even related, but it still seems a really weird problem....
Yes!!!! Cruise control wouldnt engage a few weeks ago at all as well!

Yes!!!! Cruise control wouldnt engage a few weeks ago at all as well!

Isnt the cruise control wired into the brake light switch as well? I would assume it would be as you tap the brake to turn it off.

Interesting now i remembered the cruise control has been playing up.

Isnt the cruise control wired into the brake light switch as well? I would assume it would be as you tap the brake to turn it off.

Interesting now i remembered the cruise control has been playing up.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

The second switch above the brake switch was out of adjustment. Popped it out, gave it a quick spray of Ez Glide and popped it back in, lights have gone off and turn on only when i turn them on.

Just wanna say a massive thank you to all of you guys for helping me out. Legends i really appreciate it

Latest posts

Back