Kings springs... not quite right

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh_tsv

Reaction score
Bit of back info, while ago I had a lift done to my 2012 Dualcab D40 ST, with an ARB bull bar, factory tow bar and hard lid.
I had Bilstien 5100 fitted all round with EFS 150kg leafs and Kings raised tapered coils.

Now I'm chancing the cause of some ride issues, most prevalent is that you can feel every little bump. I talking pot hole repairs, manholes, seams where old and new tarmac meet and it's driving me mad (gotten to the point I'm seriously considering buying a set Radflo's and ditching the whole setup). But it soaks up bigger bumps quite well.

My mechanic has mentioned that it took a huge amount of preload to get the King Springs onto the struts, he said he tried to get them onto the second from the bottom notch and couldn't do and had to use the bottom notch.

I'm now thinking this is the cause of my ride issues, would too much spring preload cause the above mention issues? Would a set of EFS coils fix this problem?

Thanks Josh

Last edited:
If the spring is too stiff, absolutely. Heavy springs require some vehicle load to make the ride comfortable - that's why I had dual-rate springs (OME Dakar) put on the back. Up front the load doesn't change a lot, but we tow a bit and the ball weight used to make the back end sit low (check the pic in my sig currently). The new suspension makes it sit and stay so much higher.

The other thing that could cause a harsh ride is damaged shocks.

Too much preload.
I'm using the original springs with the 5100's second notch from the top. It rides great until you hit a bump or go over speed humps. I can feel the front being 'thrown' back down making it harsh at times. At some point i'll swap out the springs.

Yes to much preload.
The 5100s are the problem
The lowest groove is 20mm higher the factory spring seat
Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's

Zordo, will a set of EFS coils work with the 5100 or can you recommended a set for me?
If you could PM me a price shipped to Townsville QLD would be great as well.

I to had the same springs front and rear, although the front struts were the Bilstien 4600's.- I think I found the springs with a steel bar to soft. Ended up going Dobinson HD raised. Ended up with really good lift (well over 2") and great ride.

I'm fairly sure the 5100's are made for a standard height and standard rating spring. Start putting in springs that are longer and or stiffer and the ride will suffer.

Thanks for the reply's

Zordo, will a set of EFS coils work with the 5100 or can you recommended a set for me?
If you could PM me a price shipped to Townsville QLD would be great as well.

EFS coils have a really strong spring rate.
I would go with Dobinson coils & space the top hat up a bit to reduce a bit of preload
$220 delivered
Cheers

Last edited:
Just put a few washers under the top hat.
Cheers

Back