Upgrading YD25 Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cometbreeze

Reaction score
Hi i been trudging through here for the last 2 days and i just cant find any info on an Upgraded intercooler for my '09 D22 YD25. :yeahright: No i have seriosly:hmmmm2:

As I've said before its been chipped and exhausted and i have recently added a turbo T and boosted to 19psi. Only took a month for the intercooler to show signs of leaking.
I can only find these guys

http://www.are.com.au/Inter/NavaraTopMount.htm

Which do an exchange for my old which is no drama and seem ok, I've looked at other brands like Cross Country and Forefront but none seem to do any upgraded intercoolers for the YD25, mainly only for the ZD30's.

Anyone else fitted one ? or can point me the appropriate thread :sorry3:

Cheers Big Ears.......

Speak to that bloke Rusty he has most thing 😝.

Yes I have the ARE Upgraded Intercooler. Worked internals for smoother airflow and better cooling. Temps dropped a bit and was noticeable in egts. Until you turn that boost up a bit more and it's back to its normal. Tank is made in Australia as I know the bloke(bro in law) who sells the cores to ARE..

Yeh sweet thanks Rusty, so I got mine boosted to 19psi now but the standard one is leaking. Are you saying to boost more after fitting ARE intercooler ?
Just waiting on email to confirm price and freight to Perth.
Do u think I will notice any gains from straight swap ?
I will re dyno aswell once fitted

The existing cooler is VERY restricted. The new core is more then 70% better at cooling and heaps better at free flowing. When I fitted mine I had gained 2.5psi boost cause the cooling had no leaks. So you will need to adjust you controller back to its original setting

So my gauge will be more accurate with a non leaking inter cooling system of course, I'll need nearly to wind it back to 0 as they are 15psi standard and and the Turbo T is + 4 out of the packet. Does that sound right Rusty ?
What boost are you able to safely run Rusty ?

I'm running 20psi atm. Haven't had it tuned I've just been going of egt temps and keeping them in around the 300-350deg mark on highway

Awesome gents.
I'm looking at a new intercooler in the next 2 weeks, I'm loosing nearly 2 psi through mine at the moment.
Probably going to go ARE.
Hpd also do an upgrade.

Awesome Rusty, I still gotta do the EGT gauge aswell.
I'll check out HDP thanx Soybean.
Still waiting on email but it's looking like ARE's intercooler will be $798 plus $100 for an upgraded too plate which is larger exposing more core, then I have postage on top which I'm waiting for quote via email from them

Well I went with the HPD as its bigger and comes with all silicon hoses and clamps and a smoother turbo manifold and also a tweaked under bonnet scoop plate for more air inlet to suit the larger core....... all fitted up an had to do few tweaks to brackets as I'm sure it's not the kit just the the Thai built vehicle differences. But I've now got an awesome turbo whistle and way more punch. When fitted I backed off the Turbo T right back to the start and test drove to see that it was only boosting to 8 psi now. So have gradually increased it to 19-20psi and she is absolutely a different vehicle. I'm still not completely happy with lag off the lights but when the turbo starts spoiling at around 1800 rpm thru to 3200 she wants to go more haha. I will finalise Turbo T setting tomoz and lock it in. Overall really happy with the kit and it is a nice crafted bit of gear. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414154914.235898.jpg

Last edited:
$1298 Happy. for an xtra couple of hundred the larger core and extras won it for me and I don't have to worry about sending my old cooler back in exchange as ya need to do with the ARE intercoolers. They are fairly popular over here in all the diesel performance shops to especially with the Patrol lads was easily sourced and in stock

that's a nice looking I/c
have you done the egr mod? It helps with lag
so does a good zorst

Yeh done the EGR. Lag is way improved from stock. But I can live with it now I could upgrade air box and snorkel for more improvements but I'm happy enough now.
I have been running my vehicle for a while though with the EGR mod and no catch can so will be doing that soon and also a EGT gauge to monitor the temps

a zorst will really improve it, the stock dump pipe is not only cast iron (holds heat) it is very restrictive
its not about one mod IMO.. its about getting all the right ones working together and you seem to have that sorted

cheers

Well I went with the HPD as its bigger and comes with all silicon hoses and clamps and a smoother turbo manifold and also a tweaked under bonnet scoop plate for more air inlet to suit the larger core....... all fitted up an had to do few tweaks to brackets as I'm sure it's not the kit just the the Thai built vehicle differences. But I've now got an awesome turbo whistle and way more punch. When fitted I backed off the Turbo T right back to the start and test drove to see that it was only boosting to 8 psi now. So have gradually increased it to 19-20psi and she is absolutely a different vehicle. I'm still not completely happy with lag off the lights but when the turbo starts spoiling at around 1800 rpm thru to 3200 she wants to go more haha. I will finalise Turbo T setting tomoz and lock it in. Overall really happy with the kit and it is a nice crafted bit of gear. View attachment 17873

Yea sweet as pal. I. Looking at the hpd i/c for my d40. So worth the cash you reckon? They are local to me so might go sus em out asap.

Yeh not a lot of room back there for a nice bend on a dump pipe.
Yeh cheers Sparra, I'm happy with my combo. But I haven't told the Mrs about the turbo whistle. I pulled up at a mates while testing and tuning yesterday and he said he could hear me coming from a few blocks away haha. Don't know I'm happy with the unwanted attention but not sure there is much I can do about it ?

Hear lots of good things about the HPD coolers.they have been highly reccomended by a few blokes here that mod diesels for a living.

Yeh Sus them out Benchy, intercooler is a piece of art, very nice core, sweet welds and got some weight to it so it is a nice thickness. Like I said a few tweaks needed, I did have to get a drill out and a grinder mainly to modify one of the brackets but wasn't anything major. The new turbo manifold that comes with the kit was a bit fiddly to fit, but all in all its a quality intercooler. I've seen some Cross Country ones on patrols and I would say they are nicer looking IMO

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back