D22 zd30 engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will_D22

Reaction score
Hey all I am wondering if any one can help. I have brought a d22 3.0 that like most 3000km after buying a piece broke of the turbo but luckily caused no major damage but knowing this is a common prob with the zd30 can I swap out with the patrol 4 .2 more power and different turbo disign.

Hi & welcome to the forum. Are you talking about a complete engine conversion? I don't think you'd fit a straight six in the engine bay of a D22. My advice would be stick in a new turbo from someone like Forefront Industries and then consider an aftermarket intercooler to protect the engine if the turbo lets go again. The zd30's in the Navara are a good engine.

Hi Will

Don't believe everything you see on TV. Or even read on forums . Some people on TV have a purpose And that is promote their buisness and tell everyone that ZD 30 are shit and the only engine Nissan ever built any good was a 4.2 .. ...................................

I got paranoid when my mechanic said there was a bit more oil in the intake than he thought would be normal blow by and changed my turbo to a Forefront one. They are much better than the stock turbo. Also threw on a X-force 3" zorst while they had the dump pipe off. Jamie from Forefront is super helpful and offers great products and fantastic support and advice.

The ZD30 in the Navs are great and are a great car when maintained and treated right. The Patrol ZD30 engines had all the trouble for a few different reasons but they are set up different to our Navara ZD30 engines.

The 4.2 TD Patrols are a whole other kettle of fish. They are awesome but you pay more for them and they are a lot harder to find for sale at a decent price cause they are so sought after. If you wanna go down that path fix and sell the Nav and save your pennies and buy one.

Hi & welcome to the forum. Are you talking about a complete engine conversion? I don't think you'd fit a straight six in the engine bay of a D22. My advice would be stick in a new turbo from someone like Forefront Industries and then consider an aftermarket intercooler to protect the engine if the turbo lets go again. The zd30's in the Navara are a good engine.

It is possible to fit the old 4.2 into the engine bay, but you have to move the engine and gearbox mounts back and change the radiator and a lot more other things. The mod plate and associated costs and re welding the firewall would turn it into a fruitless exercise. Get the old zd30 going and protect it with an intercooler. They go well and are very reliable with the correct maintenance.

It is possible to fit the old 4.2 into the engine bay, but you have to move the engine and gearbox mounts back and change the radiator and a lot more other things. The mod plate and associated costs and re welding the firewall would turn it into a fruitless exercise.

Hence it would be more cost efficient to just buy a patrol if your after the extra oompf

i think someone here has a patrol chassis, engine and running gear with a navara body on it.

but trying to stick a td42 in....waste of $$$.
however there is a crowd over here who does qd32ti conversion for those with blown zd30's.

the navara zd30 does suffer the same problem as the patrol does. that was in the early ones and most of those have either blown or done big km's.
but it doesn't have the engine control issues the patrol has.

i think someone here has a patrol chassis, engine and running gear with a navara body on it.

but trying to stick a td42 in....waste of $$$.
however there is a crowd over here who does qd32ti conversion for those with blown zd30's.

the navara zd30 does suffer the same problem as the patrol does. that was in the early ones and most of those have either blown or done big km's.
but it doesn't have the engine control issues the patrol has.

Scottybobcat but I think he's got a 5.7L V8 in it too?

Latest posts

Back