2012 navara st problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waydem88

Reaction score
hey guys new to the forum but have been reading for quite a while and now have decided to join because i am the one who needs to vent about my d40 problems.

bought a brand new d40 st about 2 months ago and recently it started to produce an extremely potent electrical burning kinda smell when i cold started every morning. spoke to a few people and they suggested leaving it for a couple days to see if it subsided. but every morning, still the same smell(almost like wires melting or a welding smell). then 2 days ago the engine light came on and went into limp mode. took it straight into nissan and they seem to think its got something to do with the EGT. he tried telling me the burning smell was coming from the superheating of the diesel. i tried explaining to him that the smell only happened immediately after a cold start so it is impossible that the EGT could max out in 3 seconds. he said the waiting time is at least 2 weeks and i would not recieve a loan car.. so now im left with no transport to work and losing money. not a happy customer at all.

Views?

Welcome to the forum!

Don't worry about the service droid. He probably meant EGR since our cars don't measure EGT, and the EGR signal line is shorting out inside the cabin thus causing the smell and the fault.

It's not nice that they won't give you a loaner. I think a whine at the salesman is in order - surely he'll have something on the lot he can let you drive around. Ask him for a wholesaler (vehicle with 120,000km+ on the clock).

Do you have comprehensive insurance? Mine covered a hire car for 3-4 weeks while at the panelbeaters.

Okay so bit of an update. I was so angry that I would be left without a car for so long so I called up and asked for the manager and explained my situation. So they took the part out of a brand new showroom navara and put in mine which I'm very thankful for. At least now I can get to work... Only problem is that the burning smell is still there every morning... I know new diesels can make some weird smells but this is something serious and I want it fixed... The fact that the service guy said it was fixed and no more smell just makes me question the reliability of the nissan service centre... And just to clarify on the order sheet it said "replaced egt sensor" so I'm not sure if the new navs come with one of these or they just don't know what they are talking about? If like to hear from anyone else with burning smells to try and compare to work out what it is! Thanks for the replies guys!

My new d40 went into limp constantly and my dealer expected me to wait over a week before they would look at it, I had to complain to the service manager to get it looked at earlier, mine had the egt sensors replaced but they didn't have them in stock and said it was a 2 week wait for parts so Nissan au paid for a hire car ( corolla $3300 crash excess too pricks ) so the next day I get a call and they had taken parts off a new car so back I go to the dealer it appears to be fixed but feels very sluggish now.... I missed 2 days work ( I'm ruralish and had to travel ) and had to complain my way up to the manager they were all smiles and bullshit till they get your money then couldn't care less. I'm not sure about your burning smell but try a different dealer if you can they can't all be useless.

So it's definitely a common problem then. The service manager tried telling me I was the first one to have the sensor replaced in WA... My car is running normal at the moment so I'm all good for the time being... But if this smell doesn't subside in the next few weeks I will be calling nissan aus and making a formal complaint. Any idea as to what this smell could be? It's only when I start the car first thing in the morning cold and won't happen when the motor is already warm...

Hey mate I had a burning smell come from mine when I first got it to. No limp mode though. The smell has now gone so it makes me think it was the coating on the exhaust or something like that. It wasn't really an electrical smell as I know what that smells like being a sparky. Good luck. Oh and the sooner you can get away from the dealership the better.

i get that smell in the morning too.. 2012 st spanish built. bought 3weeks ago. but don't get any engine light warning. and Yes ONLY get that smell in the morning. was curious if that is normal or not.

Hi,
Just wondering where abouts you could smell this smell?
At the moment i can smell it at the rear of the car when first started in the morning.
Is this something i should go back to Nissan about or it it normal?

Hi,
Just wondering where abouts you could smell this smell?
At the moment i can smell it at the rear of the car when first started in the morning.
Is this something i should go back to Nissan about or it it normal?

i smell same thing for last 3month. goes away after it gets warmed up.

Notwithstanding the comedic value in this question:

Can you only smell it around the rear end?

and having my mind immediately ponder a group a Navaras driving around in a circle behind each other with their tails wagging ...

I wonder if the smell is something to do with over-rich under-temp scalded-instead-of-combusted diesel? What does scorched diesel smell like? I'll have to put some in a frypan and find out. Anyone want to come and video the experience, I'll lend you a fire extinguisher.

Notwithstanding the comedic value in this question:

and having my mind immediately ponder a group a Navaras driving around in a circle behind each other with their tails wagging ...

I wonder if the smell is something to do with over-rich under-temp scalded-instead-of-combusted diesel? What does scorched diesel smell like? I'll have to put some in a frypan and find out. Anyone want to come and video the experience, I'll lend you a fire extinguisher.

haha, I think I'd stand clear of that one, happy to watch the video though!

I've had my 2012 ST for 15 months now and never have a problem. As it lives in a garage (reversed in) I get a bit of soot on start up but that doesn't have any electrical smell to it, just diesel

but how do i know what diesel smell like? had petrol engine for last 12yrs.. first time on diesel.. to me just smells like electrical burning smell lol guess i need someone who had several diesel engine to smell my car.

Mine stinks real bad to on startup, have to open the rear rollerdoor on startup otherwise the smell goes inside the house. Goes away after 10 seconds or so. Found it wierd that my car blows almost no black smoke when driving either, even when foot flat to the floor going on to freeways etc, only tiny "puff" on 2-3rd change. Shouldn't they blow a lot more? My mates st 4x2 blows heaps more

hey guys, had a few smells in my new ST also,, smelt like burning plastic ... but went away. when to dealer bout my loss of turbo, censor is crapped out, getting new one next week. they said EGT aswell .... now im confused !! the new censor is the "model 2" should fix that prob ..i hope ......... cheers ferral ..

hey guys, had a few smells in my new ST also,, smelt like burning plastic ... but went away. when to dealer bout my loss of turbo, censor is crapped out, getting new one next week. they said EGT aswell .... now im confused !! the new censor is the "model 2" should fix that prob ..i hope ......... cheers ferral ..
yes ferral it will fix the issue. its actually its part B. has B atthe end of part number of sensor. anyway good luck. mine is covered till 150k km. if gets worse den i will go to dealers. i kinda gave up wanting VW standards on nissan.

I too get the smell, 2013 ST Spanish. It's weird because I spoke to someone else who bought a brand new car (Holden Captiva) and he said he had a smell for a few weeks/months. My d40 now has 3000km and I still get the smell of a morning, it's not worrying me too much though, hopefully it disappears.

Latest posts

Back