Turbo upgrade time

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camo.b

Reaction score
Im thinking about pushing the little 126kw motor a fair bit harder.ive got a nice setup now but im getting the modding bug back.....fueling and exhaust i have sorted for the upgrade.chipit,dte and custom 3" no cat no mufflers pipes.this equils way to much fuel capabilitys for my current air intake/turbo.new intercooler picked out.coolingmist water meth kit waiting (for egt controll) air intake upgraded but will need changing for the new mods.also running a forefront 4 bolt billet turbo.(beautiful bit of kit).
Looking around for more air flow tho match the fuel leads me to the newer series of VNT turbos....enter the gt2260v....gtb2260vk and newest one i can find is a ball bearing/water cooled 35+psi GTB2260VKLR.thats normally factory fitted to later model mercs and some others.
There is a bigger brother to the GTB2260V and its the GBT2560v but again not that many around...cant find and flow maps for any but the 2260 series but these are currently being modded and fitted to some euro VW 1.8-2ltr tdi with fantastic results.

Looking mainly at the GTB2260VKLR model for its known qualitys...ball bearing,water cooling,quality materials ( high heat tolerances as reported buy many users) and high standard boost capabilitys.it should be a worthy upgrade even in standard trim.
Problems are when it comes from a merc its got a difficult flange to use.a audi housing converion is available to bring it back to a more traditional flange angle but machining might be needed. Or a radical bend for the turbo inlet,which im sure merc would be running anyway
For perfect results A new exhaust manifold will have to me fabricated.not hard just some hours for me...
A new filter and intake system is probably needed too.

This leaves me with a spare forefront turbo.(only just run in) plazamann hard pipes(only just fitted) k/n apollo intake filter with genuine snorkle sealed fitting kit also a fresh 3" dump pipe and tdc fuel rail chip.

Any one looking to upgrade soon feel free to comment as it could all be up for sale soon.

But now i looking for any input on the turbo choices ive arrived at...or if anyone has some detailed info on the GTB2260vklr they want to share that would be great too.

Some links.....
Ebay item no. 191271987486 and 141240905744
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...ng-turbocharger-mercedes-e350-cdi-w212-om642/
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....56vk-turbocharger-with-vacuum-conversion.html

Last edited:
Hey Camo,

Certainly sounds like a modding adventure!

Put me at the top of the list if you decide to sell turbo / intake filter etc as I've also got the modding bug.... Have fitted forefront intercooler so turbo / intake and chip is next...

I'd get a message to bluenavara, who had his turbo at 36psi if memory serves, so he knows how to do what you're wanting to do!

Tony he was my inspiration...he hasnt logged in/replyed to any posts in a fair while now.hoping all is well as i heard he had some health issues.but im pretty up to speed with his posts tho. From what i can gather....i really just need a big hairdryer,some extra cooling and i can have some fun... i really dont get too 4x4 that much so i might have a play instead.a man needs some entertainment!

Hey Camo,

Certainly sounds like a modding adventure!

Put me at the top of the list if you decide to sell turbo / intake filter etc as I've also got the modding bug.... Have fitted forefront intercooler so turbo / intake and chip is next...
If i can get the right parts together...i will pull the full intake and selling the goodies that i have to fund/hide from the wife any further spendings...i have most of the original parts here for me to refitt.
Ill keep you informed

indeed! Oh well not to be, looking forward to seeing what beast this thing turns into.......

If i can get the right parts together...i will pull the full intake and selling the goodies that i have to fund/hide from the wife any further spendings...i have most of the original parts here for me to refitt.
Ill keep you informed

Take me off the top of the list- I'm an idiot :embarassed: For some reason I thought you had a D22. (despite the fact this thread was in the D40 forum).

Got the brakes put on any further spending untill the house is built early next year.but still looking for info or ideas

Turbo

Drop me a note i could help you out a little ..... i have a 2006 D40 running a hybrid holset turbo at 45 psi

Fash

Drop me a note i could help you out a little ..... i have a 2006 D40 running a hybrid holset turbo at 45 psi

Fash
i had good read of your build.thought you got stuck at a decent rebuild parts...good to hear your still around.ill send you a pm

Turbo upgrade

Hi, i too was inspired by bluenavaras build and decided to follow, though my location limited me due to lack of parts and technical advise but i did manage and learnt a lot .. the hard way.
My truck is now perfectly ok with the current setup, im running 45 psi at EGTs around 1290-1350 on WOT and 6000 kms on the clock since the build and i drive it hard.

Excellent to hear!! Last time i was reading you were chasing down the 400 mark...what figures did you finish at ?

Fashraf i was just converting the egt numbers to deg c and thats 700-730 @wot...great numbers.i can hit 800 (1472) and climp straight past that if your not watching.
Your still running water/alcohol with the current setup i assume? And did your ported head survive the last engine explosion?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back