Radio antennas petrol/diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Reaction score
Been reading up on the various UHF radio antennas and came across an article stating that there is a different antenna for petrol and for diesel vehicles.
Can anyone enlighten me on this one as I've not heard of this before.

Thanks.

Jeff:dong:

Google "Lake Macquarie Communications" website

Last edited:
alright, thats just stupid...

the 'vibration factor' of diesel and corrugated roads...

umm, fairly sure you'd also be getting the 'vibration factor' of a petrol on a corrugated road, and i don't know about you, but when my diesel is idling it rocks and vibrates a bit, yet when its up in higher revs its smooth as...

the MAIN point i believe, is that the 'vibration factor' is pretty much eliminated when using a spring/flexi base on the antenna which means the antenna can move. also handy when out bush and you hit a tree; it'll just bend (or if a big long fibreglass one, it may snap, so dont drive into big tree branches!)

hell, dads antenna on his car which he has had for over 10 years IS NOT on a flexi base, but the main antenna body is like 3mm spring steel (no idea what it is) but it easily bends, it wags around when driving on the bumpy stuff and it has LASTED no problem. its also got 2 lil coils (spiralling antenna section) along its roughly 1.2m length

mate, just get a 3 or 6 db antenna which has a replacable antenna tip/body incase you do break it accidentally or some dumbass breaks it on purpose

just checked it again...

antenna AE4018K1

FibreglassWhip
Medium Duty Spring
6.5db Gain
4.5m Cable
Elevated Feed Ground Plane provides for superior performance
Ground Independent
c/w 4.5m Coax Cable
Code 'B'

CODE B being...

General 4WDriving
High performance
Medium Duty
Bullbar (Petrol ONLY) Guard or Roof mounting

PETROL ONLY? pfft, i got the exact same one on my car and it is 100% fine

ahh my bad, i meant 4.5 or 6

yeah, i find 4.5 best for general offroading, but if you're in big areas with lots of open space a 6 is good, and if its like perfectly flat as far as the eye can see can even go with a 9

I can see why it would occasionally be deemed necessary. Anybody who wants to know why can pay me a visit and I'll idle my diesel for them.

On newer diesels though, fahhh-get it. They're as smooth as petrols.

Thanks all,

Thought it was a strange one but needed to check with others who know more about these things than me
Doing the CSR next year so leaning toward the 4.5db for the dunes etc.
Looking at GME tx3220 with 4.5db antenna $280.50 or Uniden 400sx with a 6db antenna $258.50
Want these smaller units so as to fit them above the bottom tray in my D40.

Any comments???

Jeff.:dong:

Thanks all,

Thought it was a strange one but needed to check with others who know more about these things than me
Looking at GME tx3220 with 4.5db antenna $280.50 or Uniden 400sx with a 6db antenna $258.50

Any comments???

i got the 500sx-rm (the hand piece has all the buttons on it so you can change all the settings without placing your hand on the dash) with a GME 4.5db antenna and i get PLENTY of reception, even picked up a repeater from victoria! shit knows how, but its a good radio. also allows me to listen on the UHF cop channels (most of the bush cops/non-city still run on UHF) so you can tell if they are around and what/who they're pulling over

lol, the stuff i've heard the cops say over the radio "...in pursuit of a silver nissan navara towing a trailer...", lol i was like AWWW SHIT!!!

Thanks all,

Any comments???

Jeff, the dunes aren't that high on the CSR, go for the 6db.

I've gone the Uniden 400sx and have installed it above the radio on the dash. Took out the tray and drilled holes to mount the bracket. Notched out two spaces in the back of the tray for the cables to run through. Placed the tray back and is solid as and looks like someone else did it....that's what the wife says anyway

Thanks everyone for your input.
Have been looking at the Prestige website and they looked to have the best prices and appear to be recommended by quite a few.
Did think about the 500sx with remote head but me thinks - extra bit of hardware and wiring and is the remote head that much smaller that the entire 400sx unit?? and of course there is the extra $$$$s - I'm trying to keep the expenses down if that's possible!

Jeff.:victory:

All done.

After all the oooowing and aaahring Iv'e ended up with the GME tx3100 (the small flipable one) with the AE4012K2 antenna plus a spare antenna for $360.00 delivered, from Prestige Communications, which is about $100.00 cheaper than I could buy it for here.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff.:santaclaus:

Latest posts

Back