D40 Engine swap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRXV8S

Reaction score
G’day I have a small question and if someone has already posted about this then a link to the thread would be great! I am considering when my yd25 engine blows its last breath of dropping in a V6 and the one I am thinking of is the VQ30DET which is the little brother to the one in the d40 STX 550 which I believe is the vq40DE. My question is will the 6 speed manual gearbox that I have in my 08 d40 STX bolt straight onto the VQ30DET or will I need an adapter plate?
I don’t post on here much but am a member and have a look at what is happening in the Nav world!

Last edited:
the VQ40 is the 4litre V6 petrol engine from the D40.
the VQ30 is the little brother from the D21/22
the VX9 3l diesel is in the 550 V6!

I didn't think there was a VQ30, I thought there was a VG30 and VG33, but anyway...

As far as the bellhousing goes is anyone's guess. The d22 never came out with a 6 speed manual and I couldn't say whether the bellhousing is the same as the d40 even with the yd25. Swapping an older motor into a newer car is also going to be painful with engineering (if you get it engineered, emissions and all that).

So a quick google reveals there is a VQ30, however it was never fitted to the navara. It was in maximas, skylines, etc. So as for the bellhousing, if you're keen, you'll have to try it yourself and let us know...

Last edited:
Hey thanks Bods for your input. Yeah I thought as much. I am not new to modding but and I thought that if anybody on here had any ideas about the topic then I would go the short way instead of the long way round...which usually happens! Any ways I will keep updating as I progress!
Cheers for your help!

Changing from diesel to petrol not just require an ECU change but the fuel system is different. Petrol powered cars have fuel pumps in the tank, different filters - and you have to consider what side the exhaust is on, not only for the muffler but for the air intake (diesel air intake and air filter is on the same side as exhaust). It's a substantial change and you might consider just buying a whole second car with the alternative engine in it and move stuff across from yours.

If you're changing the engine with the same fuel type - the V9X won't bolt straight in and needs an RE7 box (not the RE5 currently in the YD25). That might be too much for the car (because you may need to change drive shafts as well). The engine bay in a V9X is supposed to be a little longer than the YD25 to accommodate the larger (longer) engine too.

I find my YD25 to be good, even though it's a little thirsty pulling up hills. You can get reconditioned YD25s for under $10K and that will require NO re-engineering.

If you're after the power of a V9X, I'd suggest just buying one and moving your stuff to it then flogging the old carcass to recoup a few dollars.

As Tony says, sell what you have while it's still in good condition, add all the 1000's you were going to spend on the conversion, and buy a turn key V9X!

Any update? My YD25 is busted and simply too expensive to repair or replace. I have access to qr25 and vq23/25/30/35 engines but all from FWD cars. I'm most familiar with the qr25 from my previous x trail. My main concerns are bell housings as I have a automatic 07 Pathfinder And wiring. I need my 4wd so I was thinking of wiring whatever engine ecu I get to "piggy back" my existing ecu. Any ideas before I venture into the great unknown?

Latest posts

Back