09 D40 57kms Engine Failure NO WARRANTY

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaraqld

Reaction score
Long story short.

Our D40 4 Weeks out of Warranty with only 57000kms experienced a catastrophic engine failure. The vehicle was bought and serviced by Nissan in Brisbane (MT Gravatt & Windsor).

Driving along riverside expressway sounded like something got caught up in the fan and then stopped. No warning lights before or after, no smoke just seized.

Nissan have said that its not that the vehicle is out of warranty but because the dealer can't tell them what has failed. Nissan Motor Group has the vehicle, they have told me a number of times that its out of warranty before admitting that they can't say 100% what failed first and they fear once the engineers get the motor they could be wrong.

It seems both parties have washed their hands of it. It's now a retail repair and they want over $16k.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

Anybody been down the Fair Trading road? Any tips?

Anybody have the contact details of anyone in Nissan for me to approach?

Thanks.

you will have go for goodwill I just got a new flywheel and pressure plate replaced on my girlfriends 08 nav with only 61000ks on it. we had to push our local dealer to put in a tech line to get it done under goodwill and they did after the second atempt. So once they find what it is which could even be a timing chain then push your dealer to put in a tech line to nissan to get it sorted' good luck!

4 weeks out of warranty means nothing, consumer laws are in your favour if the problem is proven to be something normally covered under warranty. Nissan would know this, lawyers would know it, anyone reading the applicable pages on the government websites know it. You have to have the car properly diagnosed before anything else can happen, if you don't agree with the diagnosis you then have to take the harder steps but such a short term out of warranty and you shouldn't need to if in fact it is an engine issue and not an issue caused by something else.

It could be the timing chain and if it is there are heaps of guys that have had Nissan fix under "GOOD WILL" and some of those have had well over 100'000km on them.

So i would keep pushing the point and especially if it turns out to be a timing chain.

For a 16k bill I'd be having a hard crack at it. Push em hard relentlessly the laws back you up. Phone fair trading in your state to kick it off.

Thanks for the responses.

The hold up is the Norris Motor Group at Windsor can't diagnose the failure. They seem to have given up. Nissan won't move forward until they get a response from the dealer. Dealer has not offered me any option to diagnose the fault.

It's not a timing chain. Dealer thinks its to do with the glow plug falling into the motor bending the valves in piston number 1. But can't confirm 100%. They fear remuneration from Nissan if they are wrong.

They simply want $16k+ to fix it.

Keep fighting it mate. As already mentioned, under consumer law, things have to be warrantied for as long as reasonably expected I.E warranty +1 day = still under warranty!!!

My mate works for one of the large german car manufacturers at a dealership. They have a whole area of budget allocated to just this. 'Fixing stuff that is out of warranty but should not have broken'

I'm afraid that generally in these circumstances, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, so stay on em!

best of luck!
Shan

they cant diagnose the problem but can quote to fix, no wonder people have a love hate relationship the car dealers and manufactures. which then leads me to ask, how can a warranty/ goodwill repair be denied if the fault is unknown?

I bought mine from Mt Gravatt and was happy but since the salesperson I purchased from has moved on I somewhat am doubting the quality of their service.

I have a 2011, my fuel sender is faulty. It was diagnosed at my last service. I was told they would order it in and make contact with me, would be a week tops. One month later I am still waiting for that call.

Out of interest is yours a thai built or spain?

A fella at work is having the same dramas with his d22. 'We don't have a pressure gauge that goes high enough to read the oil pressure'

I have also heard of the glow plug Fallon into the piston before...
Might be with while contacting another dealer??
Definitely get a lawyer on the books though, fair trading will help indefinitely too, this kinda stuff is their bread and butter

I understand the dealers point of view, they don't want to pay for a fix that Nissan wont cover, many retailers find themselves in the same boat. What I wonder is if they can't be 100% sure because they aren't confident about the claim or aren't confident about their own abilities to accurately diagnose.

You are still covered under warranty and they know it, you still have the law on your side, remain calm and talk to them, don't threaten, don't get agro and don't lay blame anywhere at this early stage, wait until they (dealer(s) or Nissan) have properly diagnosed it before worrying about the next step, you might find the worrying is unnecessary.

I've heard of timing chains causing this, in particular with this model - not the glow plugs, so it's a new one to me.

If they can diagnose it enough to tell you it's $16K to fix it, they have diagnosed it enough to know what has broken and can figure out what the hell HAS gone wrong. Someone is pulling your leg and hoping to get a little jingle out of it. Don't give them the satisfaction.

As others have said, get Fair Trading involved, they're on your side.

Latest posts

Back