Nissan dealer rip offs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo_d40_05

Reaction score
Some of you blokes may know from a few of my other posts that I've had a couple of issues with belts screaming etc.
I replaced both drive belts and both pulleys just recently.
I have still been getting some noise when driving at 2000-3000rpm.
It isn't as bad now as it was.
However, I've taken it to a local mechanic who I've realised isn't cut out to work on my vehicle after he fitted one belt and it still screamed like a bitch.
Plus the fact he argued with my wife over the phone that my car has a timing belt, NOT a timing chain!
Anyway, the noise starts as a whistle then a screaming noise.(slight belt noise still but also a whirring whizzing)
It only goes away when I decreased acceleration under 2000rpm.
I took it to Nissan on Friday.
I told them what noises it was making. (Only while driving, not when parked.) I asked them to check the belts in case I didn't tension them correctly etc.
After they had looked at it and fitted a new tow bar as a recall.
They told me someone has broken the gasket seal and there is an exhaust leak. I had fitted an egr blanking plate a long time before any of this happened.
They took the plate and gaskets out.
Put it back together minus the blanking plate.
They called my wife and told her someone has tampered with the egr.
A new part wll be $597.00.
Without labor.
Plus, they said, we can't yet garrantee that it will fix the problem and if it doesn't, they will have to dig deeper into the exhaust system to find the problem....WTF!
All I can see from it is that it doesn't fix the squealing/ whirring/whizzing.
It hasn't got as much power due to the fact they removed the blanking plate.
Now I dunno what to do.
I had all my hopes on these mugs to find it,fix it, happy customer drives away.
Seems like they wanna generate income for themselves only.
Anyone know a good diesel mechanic?????

You know, I can't help but think 'boost leak' when hearing the symptoms. You don't state in your sig or garage that you have a catch can fitted, so go looking for an oil leak around any of the hoses between the turbo and the intake manifold. It might just be a loose clamp like mine had.

And yes, some of the dealers do try to generate more business. Sad, but it happens.

Thanks Tony.
Your right I don't have a catch can fitted.
I will look into it for leaks etc.
I'll have to search the threads on catch can though,
I really don't know anything about that.
Will keep ya posted on the outcome.
Regards,

To save you a little time - a catch can removes most of the oil from the blow-by gas escaping from the top of the engine and being directed into the air intake just outside the turbocharger (on its suction side). This is actually handy when looking for boost leaks, find the blackish oil and you've found the leak!

Where do ya fit the can though?
How is it attached?
It makes good sense to have it cause of the excess oil going through the intake.
I'll look for stuff on you tube.
Thanks mate.

The idea is very simple. There's a hose that goes from the top of the rear of the engine to the air intake just before the turbocharger. Stick the catch can in that line. You can extend the hoses as needed.

As to where to fit it, that's one of the lovely dilemmas many D40 owners have tried to solve. Where CAN you fit something larger than a toothpick in that engine bay?

Several people have tried over by the ABS unit with success.

Just cleaned the car completely, while it was inside I found some oil that looked like it was coming from the inter cooler hose to the solid pipe above the turbo.
I tightened the hose clamps on that and everything else with a 7mm socket.
I checked the egr where black shit had been coming out at the connection where the egr blanking plate goes.
Yes, the thin metal gasket on the egr side was broken so I removed it completely, then fitted a 1mm stainless blank plate again. Tightened up the 2bolts and took it for a run.
The sounds I were getting before have almost gone away. I have ordered a catch can from eBay that will arrive In march.
I think I will buy 2 more thin metal gaskets and fir them to either side of the Egr blanking plate and fit the catch can.
The sounds that remain I will look further into next weekend.
Hopefully when I fit the 2 new metal gaskets if I can find any.
If not, (if I can't obtain them for whatever reason)I'll just use a gasket glue on all 3 pieces.
Can't wait to fit the catch can there's no room whatsoever as I have another fuel filter near the ABS. Being a 2005 model....
It'll be a mission but at least I'll save my inter cooler and turbo and whatever else I suppose.
I'll monitor the leaks from hear in till I get the parts mentioned above or do some alternative arrangement on egr.
Cheers Tony.
Regards,
Stevo

uploadfromtaptalk1392537531061.jpg
There's a nice spot there if your bay isn't too different from mine..,

Just cleaned the car completely, while it was inside I found some oil that looked like it was coming from the inter cooler hose to the solid pipe above the turbo.
I tightened the hose clamps on that and everything else with a 7mm socket.
I checked the egr where black shit had been coming out at the connection where the egr blanking plate goes.
Yes, the thin metal gasket on the egr side was broken so I removed it completely, then fitted a 1mm stainless blank plate again. Tightened up the 2bolts and took it for a run.
The sounds I were getting before have almost gone away. I have ordered a catch can from eBay that will arrive In march.
I think I will buy 2 more thin metal gaskets and fir them to either side of the Egr blanking plate and fit the catch can.
The sounds that remain I will look further into next weekend.
Hopefully when I fit the 2 new metal gaskets if I can find any.
If not, (if I can't obtain them for whatever reason)I'll just use a gasket glue on all 3 pieces.
Can't wait to fit the catch can there's no room whatsoever as I have another fuel filter near the ABS. Being a 2005 model....
It'll be a mission but at least I'll save my inter cooler and turbo and whatever else I suppose.
I'll monitor the leaks from hear in till I get the parts mentioned above or do some alternative arrangement on egr.
Cheers Tony.
Regards,
Stevo

Just thinking Tony would a bit of soapy water around the seals of steveo`s hoses help to tell if they are leaking??

Thanks OneMofo for your reply. Ya know what, I didn't even think of that. That's the same way we find a gas leak on oxyacetylene or welding gas lines!
I just hope it won't dame anything, I can't see that it would seeing its blowing out not sucking.
Whadda ya reckon Old Tony??

Just thinking Tony would a bit of soapy water around the seals of steveo`s hoses help to tell if they are leaking??

If they look like Mike1303's engine bay, the very WORST that soapy water would do would be to clean it! :rofl2:

Yes, just like a gasfitter would do, soapy water would work nicely. Usually the black oil is a sure sign though.

If they look like Mike1303's engine bay, the very WORST that soapy water would do would be to clean it! :rofl2:

Yes, just like a gasfitter would do, soapy water would work nicely. Usually the black oil is a sure sign though.

Now now Its been cleaned since the photo!!! i just dont have the patience to clean every nook and cranny!

Mines a Thai ST mate.

And mine hasn't, Mike ... I had the fluid coupling replaced recently but I've been out in the forest and haven't touched it. In truth, I think they look good like that - they look like they're being used for what they're supposed to be.

And mine hasn't, Mike ... I had the fluid coupling replaced recently but I've been out in the forest and haven't touched it. In truth, I think they look good like that - they look like they're being used for what they're supposed to be.

It does upset the misses when you do a little work on them though then wash your hands in the bathroom.

It does upset the misses when you do a little work on them though then wash your hands in the bathroom.

I have to use the tap outside. When it's really bad, it's petrol first, then clothes washing powder, then normal soap. And then the words that you never, ever want to hear after you start picking away the peeling skin ...

"You missed a bit."

Latest posts

Back