yd25 new exhaust lacking power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bods, yeah i have blocked the egr, ill look into the boost tap ?
would this just increase boost? / psi?
after exhaust i am reading 13psi on the obd2 and torque pro app, is this about right? seems pretty low?
the only other mods iv done is 3inch from snorkel to airbox instead of the small plastic bit the goes behind 2nd battery could this be affecting it aswell?
any recommendations?
Cheers

Last edited:
I have a turbotech boost controller thats been sitting here that i never used, make me an offer if your interested.

Update, took the nav out for a good run, the top end still feels a bit slow but went from 100-120kph in under 200m so i can't say it doesn't have any top end power...
i think i might still get a manual boost controller and leave it all the way wound out so it still at stock boost but shouldn't get any "CREEP"

Cheers for all the info guys always handy

i think i might still get a manual boost controller and leave it all the way wound out so it still at stock boost but shouldn't get any "CREEP"

Cheers for all the info guys always handy

you need a ball spring style boost controller. not a turbosmart. the turbotech is ok.
winding it right out will gain nothing, it won't help with creep. set it so the boost goes up 1lb or so (which is absolutely nothing for a diesel). that will help with boost creep.

^ What he said, but I'm pretty sure the new turbosmart MBC's are ball and spring?
https://gcg.com.au/petrol-performan...smart-boost-tee-boost-controller-black-detail

Not that I am endorsing them, but ive ****ed around with the turbotech. Horrible. Need two spanners (a massive open ender and an allen, and imperial sizes) to adjust them, and the spring was so cheap needed to re-adjust every 2nd time i drove it. MASSIVE pain in the dick. Try swinging two giant spanners around in a cramped, hot engine bay every other day for no apparent ****ing reason.
Not endorsing turbosmart at $100 but at least they adjust via click dial and stay adjusted. Im sure there are cheaper ones that do the same job.

Last edited:
the turbo smart do have a ball and spring but they use it as a one way valve so air isn't sucked in under vacuum (petrol engine). the actual boost control is a bleed setup.

Awesome thanks for the advice, was under the impression the turbosmart was ball and spring untill you mentioned it was a 1 way valve which makes sense looking at it now..

I'll look into the one you have, doesn't seem to expensive either which is good.

did you use a boost gauge to set up your controller?

Cheers

Hey, are you located in Aus? I have a feeling the cost of shipping to NZ would be pretty hefty?
Yea im in aus, dont think it would cost much to send there.

Might be best off buying something local though once you work out what it is your looking for.

The turbotech ones go for about $35. But i cant comment ob how user friendly they are as i never used mine.

^ they are probably an ok design. The one i had came with a rusty, mild steel spring, and wouldnt stay adjusted. Using two large spanners on a tiny thing hanging off a bit of vacuum in a space that you couldnt even swing two spanners was tiresome. Maybe I just got a shit one.
Not disputing tweakes but did not notice a downgrade in performance switching to the turbosmart.
Yeah, unless you can read boost in real time on yor OBD thingo you will want a boost guage to set the controller.

I haven't got a link to the one I put on mine. Just a cheap Chinese one with a tee piece that goes in the wastegate line and a controller I guess you'd call it that you adjust the boost with. It is designed as an in cab mount so you can adjust boost on the fly, I just have the whole lot mounted under the bonnet. I have had it in there for quite a while and never had an issue. I will get a couple of photos of it when I get home today.

Hey guys thanks for the info! I ordered the tweakes recommended the nxs? I think it was.
Can I plumb the boost gauge into the same line as the boost controller or is there a better spot ?
Thanks again for the help!

You can plumb the boost gauge into the wastegate line if you want to. That's what I've done with mine. You only see the pre intercooler reading though, so the motor will be very slightly less. If you are going to put the boost gauge on the same line, make sure it is on the turbo side of the controller, not the wastegate side otherwise the reading will be only what the boost controller is letting through to the wastegate.

So it goes turbo -> boost gauge -> boost controller -> wastegate.

Hopefully that makes sense. Then in the future, if you decide to chip it or get it flash tuned, you can just turn the boost controller up and your boost gauge will still give you an accurate reading of what the turbo is producing.

^ they are probably an ok design. The one i had came with a rusty, mild steel spring, and wouldnt stay adjusted. Using two large spanners on a tiny thing hanging off a bit of vacuum in a space that you couldnt even swing two spanners was tiresome. Maybe I just got a shit one.
Not disputing tweakes but did not notice a downgrade in performance switching to the turbosmart.
Yeah, unless you can read boost in real time on yor OBD thingo you will want a boost guage to set the controller.

sounds like you got a bad spring. you have to have a good spring in them and matched to the bleed hole. even those have a bleed hole to bleed off the air trapped behind the ball. however a lot of home made ones use a really big hole thats bleeds to much air and makes adjustment touchy.

now the reason petrol engines don't often use ball and spring boost controllers is because they can spike. a few psi spike can be fatal to a highly tuned petrol but does nothing to a diesel.

if you really want to get fancy, there is a few combo ones around. they use an adjustable ball and spring controller mated with an adjustable bleed.
you could get similar effect by putting a stronger spring in the turbosmart.

Hey guys the xns guys refunded me today saying they stopped shipping internationally now.
Any recommendations on controllers ?
On trademe (nz ebay )
I can only find turbosmart and then other random brands but 90% of them are Bleed aswell ?
Any help would be choice

Latest posts

Back