Tyre Question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortyNavros

Reaction score
Went to Bob Jane today to book in for new tyres tomorrow, had the intention of going with 235/85/16 LT yokohama geolandars as they have a buy 3 get one free special at the moment.

I wanted to go a skinnier tyre for the less rotating mass and generally less weight, also the majority of offroad work I do is on sand so I have no need for fat tyres.

At the store the guy selling the tyres to me (who is a friend) said he couldnt sell me anything less that 265 tyre width as that is what is written on my tyre placard. But what I dont understand is the DX (which is essentially the same car) comes with skinny tyres, so why the big fuss.

This is from the latest QCOP:
"The nominal width of the narrowest tyre fitted to a vehicle must not be less than 70 per cent of the nominal width of the wider tyre fitted and never less than the vehicle manufacturer’s narrowest optional tyre as indicated on the manufacturer’s tyre placard."

What's the deal? Surely legally you can use 235's?

From what I was told nav is stocked 265's and going any smaller will void insurance etc. The only thing I understood from the bloke was that because 265's are stock you can't go smaller you can only go bigger. Don't quote me on that though

Called up the Vehicle Standards and Modifications Advice Team (07) 3114 5844. They told me to call Nissan and see what the minimum width tyre recommended for the D22 was. Called Nissan he said STR had 265/70/16 and the DX had 205/R16. I asked him if there was any difference between the models and for any reasoning between the tyre size differences. He said they have the same engine, transmission and drive train (both have an LSD), only differences were cosmetic, but from what he had to go from he could only recommend a 265 width tyre as that was their 'spec' sheet says.

Would all be fixed if they listed both the DX and STR model sizes on the bloody tyre placard so we had some latitude for tyre choices. Only other option I can see would be using a DX tyre placard, the Nissan service guy didn't recommend that though haha. Anyway I need to get new tyres this afternoon so I guess Im stuck with 265/75/16s

Is the rim a different width?

Maybe the STR and DX have different rims and a 7" rim is too wide for a 235 tyre???

Last edited:
I sent an enquiry to BJ as well for the same tyre, 265/70.16. Got quoted $298 per tyre and one free so still $900 for all corners. I shopped around and cheapest I could get was about $253 per corner. So called BJ back and sais 'WTF'. I reckon they overinflate the cost per tyre to get away with the deal. The email I got included a 'best offer or get 10% difference' guarantee. I sent an email back with my calculations and lo and behold 'it doesn't apply' to 'special deals'. Well, I said don't include that detail in your ****in email! So they matched the other quote and I can get all 4 fitted for about $850. So my advice, don't let them charge you for any less. Having said that I'm looking at BFG muddies or Maxxis Bighorn 764's. Don't care about the noise.

Latest posts

Back