Anyone tried KickAss fridges?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k3vin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just abit of background, used a Waeco CFX40 for a few years, then upgraded to a Engel 80L Combi, both which worked perfectly fine and could not fault.

However now its time for me to get a small more compact fridge and been doing some research and narrowed down to the these 3:

Engel 45L
Waeco CFX-40W
KickAss 45L

Engel and Waeco because of personal experience and well known brands, however I recently discovered the KickAss range which looks to be EvaKool behind the scenes.

Mainly been umming and ahhing between these two:

Waeco - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291116147925?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

KickAss - http://www.australiandirect.com.au/~1591696

KickAss seems to be a local aussie block up in QLD so I'd like to support locals, however, this range seems to be quite new-ish as I can't really find anything about KickAss on google. Anyone had any experience or feedback on them?

Kickass (as you'd expect) use the Danfoss (Secop) compressor. Secop sell their compressors to third party manufacturers, Engel don't.

There's a fundamental difference between Engel (Sawafuji) and Secop compressors. Engel is electrically more efficient - it's a completely different design. Both are very reliable. If power isn't a huge problem, then either compressor is a good choice.

Control circuitry is another issue altogether. Some Secop-compressor fridges don't have the greatest smarts in them but these days they're few and far between (the ceramic fuse problem associated with Waeco control circuitry is now history). If you're buying something with an older control circuit then you might have an issue with the unit shutting down frequently (this will kill the battery really fast).

My biggest problem with any of these fridges is the electrical connectors - they're crap! Cut the end of the cable off near the cig lighter plug and use an Anderson plug instead. Obviously you need to pay attention to polarity - fridges do NOT like being connected the wrong way around - see an auto electrician if in doubt. I have an Aldi (Stirling) 40L fridge that I use as a freezer because we live 50km from the shops, and there have been a couple of times when the plug has fallen out because of the lovely smooth roads (cough cough!) - Anderson plugs solve the problem.

Kevin, I was curious and from what I read online they are a good fridge and people have no problems. I do things a little differnt I have a 40 ltr Engel as a fridge and a 21ltr as a freezer. Yes more power draw but very versatile, though I have 240a/h of AGM'S and 280watts of solar up top.

Kickass (as you'd expect) use the Danfoss (Secop) compressor. Secop sell their compressors to third party manufacturers, Engel don't.

There's a fundamental difference between Engel (Sawafuji) and Secop compressors. Engel is electrically more efficient - it's a completely different design. Both are very reliable. If power isn't a huge problem, then either compressor is a good choice.

Control circuitry is another issue altogether. Some Secop-compressor fridges don't have the greatest smarts in them but these days they're few and far between (the ceramic fuse problem associated with Waeco control circuitry is now history). If you're buying something with an older control circuit then you might have an issue with the unit shutting down frequently (this will kill the battery really fast).

My biggest problem with any of these fridges is the electrical connectors - they're crap! Cut the end of the cable off near the cig lighter plug and use an Anderson plug instead. Obviously you need to pay attention to polarity - fridges do NOT like being connected the wrong way around - see an auto electrician if in doubt. I have an Aldi (Stirling) 40L fridge that I use as a freezer because we live 50km from the shops, and there have been a couple of times when the plug has fallen out because of the lovely smooth roads (cough cough!) - Anderson plugs solve the problem.

As always, thank you for your response and feedback Tony.

I normally anderson most of my things, KickAss come with anderson default also.

Kevin, I was curious and from what I read online they are a good fridge and people have no problems. I do things a little differnt I have a 40 ltr Engel as a fridge and a 21ltr as a freezer. Yes more power draw but very versatile, though I have 240a/h of AGM'S and 280watts of solar up top.

Cheers for feedback, I think I'll give it a shot and try out the KickAss fridge.

Thanks for the responses all!

Latest posts

Back