forefront intercooler install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweak'e

Staff member
Reaction score
almost finished installing a forefront "big" D22 intercooler.

its been a little interesting. we had some issues with bumper clearances. i slotted the mounts a bit more, but ended up working out that this has been hit in the front and the bumper was pushed back a bit. loosened off the bumper bolts and pushed it forward to give some room for it.

i found using some pliers to bend the edges of the steel where the pipes squeeze past gave more room and a softer spot for the pipe to rub up against ie not have a sharp edge to wear a hole through the pipe.

engine intake is 2.5", cold pipe is 2.25" but box didn't have an adapter. not sure whats gone wrong there. fortunately i had a spare.

mod'ing the washer bottle was a bit of a bust. the plastic is so brittle that it just fell to bits. got something jury rigged. if thats a problem later may have to make a new one.

just looking at it, i recon a 2.5" cold pipe would be better. however would require some extra bending to clear the intake hose and squish the pipe where it goes past the radiator.

fitted a "boost tester" and pressurized the intake. well tried to.
all the air leaked into the exhaust and got no pressure build up.
caped the exhaust found a few exhaust leaks and one on the egr pipe. so thats going to have to come off (or get blocked off).
temp blocked off the egr and got pressure to build up. no leaks or pipes pop'ing off.
however that also means the egr valve is open. afaik it should have been shut at engine shutoff. so i may have to take that out and see why its open.

unfortunately i will not be able to test it with stock tuning, as ecu is away being done at the mo.

Get them to give you the original chips once they've desoldered them and you can stick them in and use them.

bit of bad news.
the company that has the ecu to do just had the tech walk out.
so it was going to be a while to get the ute up and running.
so i pulled the ecu out of the other ute and fitted that. so its up and running.

good news is the intercooler works ok. however just going by where the heat is on the ic, the ic wants to be a lot longer. getting something longer to fit would be an interesting challenge.

egr valve, it seams both utes have turned off with valve still open. possibly the utes are tuned to use egr at idle.
also found the egr pipe had a hole in it from a mechanics so-so welding job on it.
blanking plates have been installed so egr is now blocked off at both ends.

I wonder if the ecu opens the EGR valve on shut down for some reason. I know with my yd25 it makes a few noises from the EGR valve area after the motor shuts down, but I have never had a look inside to see if it opens after the motor shuts down.

In saying all that I have had mine blocked off since the vehicle had 7000km on it. It has now done just over 100k.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

for the smooth engine shutdown to work the egr must be closed.
it may do some checks to make sure its in the right position. the zd30 does that at start up, it pulses the valve to close so it knows where to start from.

Yeah I get that, I don't hear mine doing anything until after the motor has stopped. If both of yours are in the open position at shut down it has to be some sort of programming. For what reason is anyone's guess,

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

the work continues.

found alternator to have issues. so swapped that over.
but in doing so snapped the lug off the belt tensioner. found the dampener on the tensioner had seized solid. so swapped that over to and ordered a replacement.

gauges have turned up so started with installing that as well.

Latest posts

Back