Diesel issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shagsta22

Reaction score
So despite selling my D22, I'm back, this time with a new problem with my father's D22.

As with my old D22, it suddenly started surging in an almost identical manner. So naturally I assumed that it was the same problem which was the Throttle control sensor. Initially after changing to another sensor, it appeared to get better but it raised it's ugly head again.

As time has gone on, the performance seems to be getting worse and it randomly decides to blow a huge amount of smoke. Once it even got that bad that it stalled and wouldn't start again. We left it over night, it coughed reluctantly into life the next morning but still slow and surging. We suspected bad fuel so we drained the tank and put fresh diesel in it and a new filter. Performance increased for a short while but then got bad again.

Interestingly, he used the fuel we extracted from the Nav and he put it in his GU Patrol (4L, no turbo) and suddenly it's developed the same problem.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Obviously my first thought is Injector Pump but I'd rather leave it as a last resort as it's the worst possible problem. Could this bad fuel be causing a problem somewhere?

well if you put this fuel into another car and the same problems arises then i would say it has to be bad fuel. did you do a test with some of this diesel fuel in a clear glass and let sit overnight to see if any water settles on the bottom of glass ? if there is water in the fuel you need to completely drain out the fule tank and remove the fuel filter and clean it then add new fuel take the car for a good run.

We did test for water with no apparent water in it. We assume it was bad fuel but if that's the case, why didn't it improve once we drained the tank and refilled it with good fuel?

first thing would be to unplug the neutral position switch on the gearbox.

you could have a couple of issues a the same time. bad fuel may have damaged the pumps. you can get the fuel tested.
check the fuel line for air being sucked in. with the filter change you might have made a leak. also bad fuel may have eaten the lines a bit. also check for any cracks on the hose ends.

it could be the fuel has something in it which is clogging the filter. there is fuel left in the lines which may have clogged the new filter.

Latest posts

Back