Front seal D40 Transfer case

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sound like it could work, I am 3500km from my Nav at the moment but when I get back I will have a look as well

email from nizzbits said:
If the transfer case seal is the one on the front of the transfer behind the gearbox it is $26

If it is the seal to the front driveshaft on the transfer they have actually modified these and you need to use a new type seal and also replace the flange behind the seal. The two parts come to $92. At present the seal is hard to get so might take a couple of weeks before we can source one. I have attached a pic of the flange that has to be replaced with the seal.

Maybe they have fixed the problem with Ye new flange and seal set up.

Haven't got any photos unfortunately, I'm just emailing someone from nizzbits about it. Going to ring a mechanic tomorrow and have a look.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420702729.863908.jpg

Looks like I will be replacing mine soon :(
I went to a dealer and bought the seal (about $12 thought that's alright), looked at it when I got home and thought this aint gunna fit. I figured they must have given me the wrong part.
It turns out its the right part, Nissan have made a revision to the design to fix the problem. Only there is one catch, the flange/shaft has been revised too, so you have to replace that and its $83 !. Think I will try to get and old level one and fit some underbody protection.

Ok so ive replaced my seal and pinion to the new style nissan have released. It now squeals intermittently but really loud like a bad brake squeal but worse. Can last from a few seconds to a few kms. Someone suggested torque on the pinion nut is wrong. I didnt know there was one. I just did it up tight with a breakerbar. Any ideas

Ok so ive replaced my seal and pinion to the new style nissan have released. It now squeals intermittently but really loud like a bad brake squeal but worse. Can last from a few seconds to a few kms. Someone suggested torque on the pinion nut is wrong. I didnt know there was one. I just did it up tight with a breakerbar. Any ideas

according to the manual you should use a torque wrench. 275Nm (28kg-m, 203ft-lb)

So im guessing ive done it up too tight? Would that cause it to squeal? Would it have damaged the seal or could i just remove it reseat and reuse?

Has anybody tried any of the transfer case bash guards that are available? Does it keep the crap out hence solving this problem or are they more to help with impact damage. Heres one for example..

http://www.southerncrossoffroad.com.au/products/transfer-case-guard-suit-navara-d40-all-models

Keen to hear any feedback as iv had Nissan already replace this for me once but i just found a tutorial online to do it yourself but id rather just stop it in the first place

I need to replace the transfer seal and rear pinion seal.

local dealer quoted "front output shaft seal $289.30 and rear diff pinion seal $763.40. Rear diff flange is on back order and we have no ETA at this stage." that is fitted.

So some research led me to this crowd
http://www.alliedautomotive.com.au/part-finder

Needless to say i bought the parts immediately. fantastic service too.

Transfer seal Part '45X70X12X17R' and $12
Diff Pinion 2005 on 403067Y 1.87X3.16X.56 Part: 9316 and $16

Latest posts

Back