short powerband?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azz

Reaction score
hey all im new to this site as i have just got myself a new d22 with the yd25 motor all stock so far. have to say there are some great threds on here with a whole lot info and experience its awsome.
any way does any one notice first gear does nothing till like 1750rpm and then spools up so quick its a challenge to change before it hits 3000rpm?
2nd & 3rd are sort of the same. its like the power is only between 1750 and 2500 rpm and the rest of the time your going nowhere?
will an exhaust help this problem?
:cheers!:

there is alot of ways doing the egr mod apparently helps the turbo spools quicker as well as a new exhaust and dump pipe.

Just have search for exhausts and egr mod and have a read there is alot of info that from previous topics that would help u out.

Yes, but i thought that was the trade off for a 2.5 fuel economy. Coming from a 2000cc manual petrol it is fine for us and just a tad toey. Caveat, still just carrying air in the tub atm.l

mine is the same, does nothing as you pull out then at ~1800rpm all of a sudden the turbo feels like its on full spool, I am looking at getting an exhaust though to help it spool better in the lower rpm range, my mechanic claims beudesert 2 3/4" systems are over rated but I tend to disagree with him on that.

The D22 is smoother than the D40 but the turbos operate NEARLY the same (the D40 has a variable vane turbo, so it comes on even stronger).

At 1600rpm the exhaust is flowing nicely but it's not strong enough to give the turbo enough power to do much. At 1800rpm the exhaust is moving nicely and can spin the turbo up and by 2,000rpm there's enough flow in the exhaust to really give the turbocharger some ponies.

Turbochargers need very high rpm to work. They start at around 60,000rpm and some will spin up to 160,000rpm. That's a phenomenal rate, and can only be maintained with a fair amount of power input - and for that, the exhaust gas needs to be flowing very freely.

The EGR mod will calm things a LITTLE. The EGR valve is open in mid-range throttle so blocking it will impact on the turbocharger as it comes on (it should spool up a little earlier).

However, it's a turbocharger so by its very nature it needs a certain amount of exhaust pressure before it can provide boost, so this "power band" effect is always going to remain roughly where it is now.

Hey Azz,

I've had my D22 for about a month now and found similar thing. I trawled through the forums here and did the EGR mod which took out the urgent rush from the motor between 1,800 - 3,000rpm (I have to admin that I did like that feeling) and the power delivery is a lot smoother now.

I then got a 2.5" full exhaust system built for me (including the dump pipe) and now the power is smooth and very very strong between 1,500rpm all the way up to 3,800rpm where she is pulling like a steam train.

Fuel economy should be better for sure, but I can't help but keep this thing on boost at the moment as it sounds so good.

Cheers

EGR mod solves this. I am about to post another thread with a writeup as to why.

Latest posts

Back