Winch in factory alloy bar?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had thought about it but thats as far as it got realy.

I had looked at winch cradles on eBay and wondered if you could mount one and cut out the hole needed in the bar.

I have heard of people mounting a cradle to the chassis rails then chopping out a hole in the bar for the fairlead, but I can't point out any pics where it shows it done, anything is possible with a bit of thought.

Yeah fair enough, not sure if I will bother as my hand winch seems to get the job done even with the backbreaking work. Its something I might consider later on down the track though. Cheers.

Yeah the only thing that would be mounted on the alloy bar though is the fairlead. The cradle would be all made of steel between the chassis rails so in theory it should be no different to a steel bar. I kind of like the look of the alloy bar and it would be a weight saving compared to steel. It would be a while off before I attempted it anyway as my hand winch is doing the job well enough for now.

I think a cradle mounted between the chassis rails would be stronger then the nissan steel bull bar.

you really shouldnt put a winch on an alloy bar, they arent strong enough and could end up snapping/breaking which is why all winch bars are steel

Also there is plenty of manufacturers that make alloy bars designed for taking winches. Don't get me wrong though I'm a big fan of steel but after my last 4b I'm thinking of trying to keep the weight down as much as possible. My GQ is 3 tonne without any camping gear in it and I blame it on all the barwork.

Latest posts

Back