Weird D40 engine noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-dogg

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but for some reason my engine makes this weird constant choofing noise, and my mate reckons it might be the timing chain but he's not sure.. It gets faster the more you rev it and slows down at lower revs and when it's idling, but is always there..

Has anyone else had this problem and know what the cause is? And if so, how to fix it?

It's a Manual D40 Diesel and it's driving me nuts!! :pissedoff:

Welcome to the forum!

If it sounds like a chain rubbing against something then it could be the timing chain or its tensioner, there have been issues with those and in Europe there's rumour that Nissan extended the warranty on those to help - because replacing the chains isn't cheap.

What year model is it, and how many km has it done?

I haven't had an official quote but Adam from Nissan4x4 wreckers in Victoria told me he does timing chains all the time and costs him about $200 for parts and about 5 hours labour. He said the tell tale sign for timing chain failure before looking at the chain is to remove the sump and look for metal scraps in the sump as metal filings pretty much means stuffed chain. I can't remember exactly what he said the metal is from, but I think it was from the rockers or something rubbing.... or something.
http://www.niss4x4.com.au

Oh true, well I'm in Brisbane, so would anyone know of any people up here who would be able to do timing chains?

It's a 2008 DX with 148*** k's.

Any mechanic can do it. Just shop around for one you are happy with. If Nissan quote too much for a chain give Adam a call and find out where he buys his.

Latest posts

Back