Leaking transfer tailshaft seal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1303

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I noticed today that I have a Leaking transfer tailshaft seal. So I contacted Nissan to get it fixed, despite the run around the guy gave me he finally got back to me and booked the car in for march 21st.

I cannot say how bad it's been leaking, I know it wasn't there at the start of last week,
How long can this go on leaking before more damage is done to the transfer case?

I would have thought it would be a more urgent repair?

Dont use 4wd untill its fixed would be my safe beat. Who you book it in with. I'll Facebook my mate at lennock and see what he says........ Better to talk to someone who works on the cars then the clowns behind the desk

My 2010 did the same thing, seal was replaced under warranty.
As Tiger said as long as you dont use 4x4 the transfer should be ok, but if you were super concerned you could just top it up in a few days and see how much has actually leaked out so you can gage how often to refill before the repair is carried out.

Dont use 4wd untill its fixed would be my safe beat. Who you book it in with. I'll Facebook my mate at lennock and see what he says........ Better to talk to someone who works on the cars then the clowns behind the desk

The crap thing is I can finish at 2 pm ( need the car for work) it's a 15 minute job!
I think two weeks is a bit stupid, I understand they are busy this isn't a, something's rattling problem, I've done the legwork and found the issue.

Oh And I'm going away for the next two weekends! So using 4wd is a necessity :/

Thanks Tiger that'd be great, I spoke with Anthony today, he couldn't give a rats arse. Didn't even ring me back him self

Last edited:
Other oppison is you get under there and fix it your self. Car trailer ramps are great for under car access

The main thing is how much is it leaking. If only like half a cup full over a week it will be ok. If you can top it up see how much it takes. Oil can be like blood a little can look like a lot. I believe 4WD will be ok so long as it's full or close to it. Take it easy on it tho you don't want to aggravate the leak. You only have one guarantee it's only going to get worse over time. If going away I'd take a couple of liters with me along with one of those tom thumb pumps just in case.

Last edited:
I think it will escalate quickly. mine did and I changed it within 2 days. There is under 2 litres of oil in there from memory but the don't use 4wd thing wont work as the front shaft spins the case all the time it just isn't under load till you engage 4wd. so even in 2wd you could cook the bearings ect if no oil.

The shaft doesn't spin as the hubs are always locked..... So spinning shafted locked hubs means you'd be in 4wd all the time

uploadfromtaptalk1394001814037.jpg

Excuse the finger marks on the tailshaft, but that's the leak. It's not flicking everywhere like I thought it would. That tells me it's not 'leaking leaking'

uploadfromtaptalk1394001894882.jpg

That's the exhaust it's dripping onto... Like old mate said a little can look like alot

It's not likely to be empty as the new clutch went in last week...

As for topping it up, :/ yea im lost haha wouldn't know where to start very much appreciate the advice guys

So today I stopped into Nissan not happy with the 2 week wait they gave me for the fix.

He reassured me that the 21st was the earliest they could do it i Told him its a 20 min fix. I can be back any day after 230.
I asked if he can put it in writing that my two coming weekend trips bush won't destroy the transfer case. He couldn't...

He then says to me yes its a small job but you've got all those plates under there.
I told him not at the moment I don't.

So he got his workshop foreman to have a look.
He said it's leaking, not bad... and that they wing have the part in stock but would go check.
Lo and behind they did!!!

Having been told they could squeeze it in Thursday next week instead of the 21st the manager comed back asking for the keys, because they are going to do it now!

I guess sometimes things like to line up in the universe, or maybe karma is in the air today.

All in all very happy with the result!
And looking forward to some stress free trips!

Thanks again to those who gave advice, I would have not bothered to question the booking has you not said it was worth following up

I need to replace the transfer seal and rear pinion seal.

local dealer quoted "front output shaft seal $289.30 and rear diff pinion seal $763.40. Rear diff flange is on back order and we have no ETA at this stage." that is fitted.

So some research led me to this crowd
http://www.alliedautomotive.com.au/part-finder

Needless to say i bought the parts immediately. fantastic service too.

Transfer seal Part '45X70X12X17R' and $12
Diff Pinion 2005 on 403067Y 1.87X3.16X.56 Part: 9316 and $16

I've just been topping my transfer case up as it needs it I've still used 4low not a problem
now waiting on parts so I can drop the drive shaft out and replace the seal including the diff seal while I'm at it its a relatively easy job ill keep you guys updated with how it all goes

Latest posts

Back