Engine ticking on morning start up.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-D22pilot

Reaction score
Hi, got a 2012 D22 with about 25'000 kms, when I start the engine for the first time in the morning it makes a ticking sound, I have checked for anything external like the fan hitting but there is nothing obvious, I think it is coming from the timing chain area, when it warms up its fine, any suggestions would be appreciated, cheers

Don't quote me because I am definitely no expert, but there are a number of threads on here discussing similar things.

From what I have read it seems to be that a ticking noise on start - particularly when cold (winter) is fine, and it is just the belts ? Air-conditioning + others?. Once the car warms up this noise seems to go away and is perfectly safe/not dangerous - however some people have replaced the OEM belts with Bosch belts and this little issue has disappeared.

The timing chain problem, which would be a problem is A louder ticking/knocking noise which does not go away and is much louder?

In summary:
noise goes away = Winnning and dont worry
Noise does not go away = Probably should get someone to look at it unless you know what you are doing mechanically.

Again, this is just what I have gathered from reading a few threads around the place and Im sure someone else will come along and add more in depth info.

ps: Mine has a small ticking noise on start up when it is cold (generally leaving the car in the garage keeps it warm enough so that it doesnt happen, but if it is outside then she might be cold enough) It freaked me out at first, but I let the car warm up and it went away so huzzah

apparently you need a thinner viscosity oil as its the timing chain tensioner causing slack in the chain.

Don't quote me because I am definitely no expert, but there are a number of threads on here discussing similar things.

From what I have read it seems to be that a ticking noise on start - particularly when cold (winter) is fine, and it is just the belts ? Air-conditioning + others?. Once the car warms up this noise seems to go away and is perfectly safe/not dangerous - however some people have replaced the OEM belts with Bosch belts and this little issue has disappeared.

The timing chain problem, which would be a problem is A louder ticking/knocking noise which does not go away and is much louder?

In summary:
noise goes away = Winnning and dont worry
Noise does not go away = Probably should get someone to look at it unless you know what you are doing mechanically.

Again, this is just what I have gathered from reading a few threads around the place and Im sure someone else will come along and add more in depth info.

ps: Mine has a small ticking noise on start up when it is cold (generally leaving the car in the garage keeps it warm enough so that it doesnt happen, but if it is outside then she might be cold enough) It freaked me out at first, but I let the car warm up and it went away so huzzah

Cheers yer that sounds right as it is cold here atm but not normally, the car is parked in a carport so gets cold in the morning, the noise is coming from that area but I have bad hearing so can not pin point it proper, as soon as I reverse out the driveway the noise goes away

Replace all four of your belts because the oem belts are super hard and schink when they are cold. I fixed this problem about 18 months ago when I was working in Gatton and the mornings were all under 4 degrees. Haven't heard the ticking since and I've got 75000km on the clock. You shouldn't worry about the timing chain until 100,000km, the d40 chains start to get noisy at 80,000km cause of the extra power and a higher pressure injection pump that runs of the lower timing chain which is the one that breaks.

Latest posts

Back