Perfomix Plastidip spray cans

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jms86

Reaction score
I stumbled across this product when i was researching vinyl wrap for my rims, after realising that trying to wrap my rims would be a serious pain in the ass i chose to go this way.

Heres a quick blog from there website explaining what plastidip is;

''Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose, air dry, specialty rubber coating. It can be easily applied by dipping, brushing, or spraying. Plasti Dip protective coating is ideal for a broad array of do-it-yourself projects around the home, garage, garden and elsewhere. It protects coated items against moisture, acids, abrasion, corrosion, skidding/slipping, and provides a comfortable, controlled grip. Plasti Dip remains flexible and stretchy over time, and will not crack or become brittle in extreme weather conditions''.

o508.jpg

As far as I know there are no direct suppliers in Australia for plastidip, so ended up going through good old ebay. Theres a good variety of colours and types (matte/fluro) on the site, also sellers have plenty of stock.

APPLICATION

I sprayed my four rims (18s) with seven light coats, i used two full cans but brought four so I had spares if i needed to do touch ups and/or redo a rim.

1. Most important part of the job is to make sure the rims are spotless, you want them clean enough that you'd be quite happy to eat your dinner off them. If any brake dust or grim is left on the rim, the plastidip will lift off once it sets and nobody has time for that :rofl:

2. Mask off your calipers and discs, even though abit of overspray has no immediate issue its nice to keep them clean and take some pride in your job. I used an old beach towel, but old rags and sheets will do.

3. FIRST AND SECOND COATS: Shake can very well, test spray to check the nozzle is ok. I can't stress this enough, your first two coats must be extremely light. After the two coats you want a nice fine mist of rubber over all angles of the rim, between coats leave a minimum of ten minutes. Setting time for these two coats are crucial so to allow the rubber to have sufficient time to set strong anchors on the rim. Again if you rush these coats or cake them on too thick, the rubber will bubble and start looking all shitty.

4. I ended up doing SEVEN light coats on each rim, coats 3 - 7 i changed my target area e.g one coat i focused on the face of the rim, next the dish and then lastly the inside edges. This allows the rim to get a nice even coat everywhere and minimises drips.

6.Cause i sprayed my rims while there were still on the truck, make sure to move your car back a bit to check that you havent missed any edges. I was lazy so everyday for a week, every time i got home after work i checked my rims and touched up where necessary.

5. Once you've completed spraying, you will see that you have excess rubber sprayed on your tyre. If the rubber is set you can simply find an edge, and simply take it off like a sticker.

Heres the video that i watched, hope it helps.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyB3FbYRRs[/YT]

Its been a month now, and i've been off-road a few times and I've had no issues with its peeling or scratching.

PROS
-DIY
-CHEAP
-REMOVABLE

POSSIBLE CONS
-CAN BUBBLE IF APPLIED INCORRECTLY
-POSSIBILITY OF IT GETTING DAMAGED (SCRATCHED/TORN/PEELED) WHEN OFFROAD, ESPECIALLY LOW TYRE PRESSURE ON SAND

46nb.jpg

Hope this review has been interesting and helped you, if you have any questions please fire away.

nice work on the thread mate, there has been a few guys doing grilles, sports bars, rims and even an entire Hilux that monster Rides did, which was done with a spray gun and compressor for obvious reasons.
so it does seem to be popular at the moment.

Latest posts

Back