How to dust seal D40 tailgate

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toad

Reaction score
G'day,

I never worried too much about the yawning gaps in the tailgate of the D40 until we put on a canopy. Now because the rear is quite bit darker when looking back through the rear window, you can see bright daylight through the gaps on each side. Off road, dust just pours in.
Has anyone come up with a fix, or at least a measure to minimise dust getting in?

If your canopy has a sliding section in the front window then open it a bit. I have been told this works. I have not tried this myself yet. Please report back when you have tried.

PeterD

Thanks Peter, I'll give it a go and report back.
I will also try and put some sort of foam in the gaps with double sided tape
and see what happens.

My D22 has a canopy and the same issues as you. I have just returned from a trip to the Simpson via Cameron Corner, Birdsville etcand can report that opening the front sliding window about 2 inches helped heaps. That's not to say that dust did not get in, it did, but nowhere as much as I thought it would. I have my fridge and aux battery at the back next to the tailgate and they were relatively free of dust.

A small amount of dust still gets in through the front sliding window, but in the big scheme of things, and considering the thousands of km's of dirt roads we travelled on, I was happy with the outcome.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Dave

Cracking open the window helps by pressurising the area. I've been think of fitting a roof vent so that it collects fresh air from above the vehicle. Just need to remember to close it when it rains!:p

Dust sealing the tailgate

I had the same problem with my D22 and solved it by rivetting a piece of flat aluminium on as in the photo. The tailgate is only one or two mm away from the strip when closed so a strip of thin foam stuck on to it closes the gap completely. There is still a small gap where the canopy window meets the tailgate but that can be blocked if needed. 1st photo tailgate is open 2nd is closed.

Paul

Attachments

• Tg1.jpg
    Tg1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Tg2.jpg
    Tg2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,010
Have just purchased a new D40 STX and fitted a Carryboy canopy. As well as the tailgate area, the tub has large holes in the top corners at the front of the tub that need filling with sikaflex or similar, as well as some other various holes and poorly sealed joints. To seal the tail gate sides we used 6mm x 50mm insertion rubber stuck to the side (similar to what Paul did with the flat aluminum) and a length of 6mm x 15mm affixed across the bottom of the tub. Seems to work ok, but it will get a real test in May/June when we go via the dirt from Broken Hill to Cape York and return in May/June. The pressure vent/open front window works reasonalby well on our caravan but whe surrounded in bull dust or dust from passing vehilces some dust does get sucked/forced inside the van so I'd think it'd be the same with the canopy. When travelling busy dusty roads we leave the vans pressure hatch closed.

cya
Graham

I've solved the dust problem with my D40 by installing an aluminium backing plate and copious amounts of self adhesive foam I got from Clarke Rubber. Clearly visible in the pics. Thought I'd also put some pics of my storage unit while at it.

Cheers
Pete

Attachments

• IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,187
  • IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,171
  • IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,123
  • IMG_2401.jpg
    IMG_2401.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,132
  • IMG_2402.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,021
Just a couple more pics to show why it was important to me to keep the dust out.

Attachments

• IMG_2403.jpg
    IMG_2403.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 630
I had the same problem with my D22 and solved it by rivetting a piece of flat aluminium on as in the photo. The tailgate is only one or two mm away from the strip when closed so a strip of thin foam stuck on to it closes the gap completely. There is still a small gap where the canopy window meets the tailgate but that can be blocked if needed. 1st photo tailgate is open 2nd is closed.

Paul

I copied Chartrock's idea today and sealed my tailgate with aluminum strips. I also used some sticky foam strip to help.

I'm hoping it will stop water getting in, in heavy rain rather than dust.

Dust holes

I don't know if anyone has ever checked up under the top edge of the tub on the D22 but there are three large (around 75-100mm) holes on each side and I was told that these went through to the guard letting dust and water in. I blocked them up with some foam rubber and 'gaffer tape' and have had no problems. Does anyone know if these holes can let dust in or has someone been pulling my leg? :elefant:

Just wondering why aluminium was chosen to make the plates?

Is there a reason this was chosen over other metals. Going to do the same mod in the coming weeks.

On my D22 I used some magnetic sheet that I got from a sign writer for the sides, just cut 2 strips about 40 mm wide and pop rivet or glue it to the inside corners it leaves about 15 to 20 sticking out which grabs the tail gate perfectly when you close the gate. stops dust and water, along the bottom I just used some foam tape and it worked really well.
There are holes up under the tub lip but they have blank rubber grommets covering them so that they don't leak and dust.
I intend to try something similar with my D40 but the gap at the bottom is much more than the D22.
Forgot, by magnetic sheet I mean the stuff you make fridge magnets out of

Last edited:
Just an update on the sealing issue Flea Bay is your friend. I have ordered a seal kit from the states, it's a universal kit to suit any tailgate but it only cost $28 or so including postage!
The yanks have it good you can purchase a custom door seal kit for the tailgate over there for about $140 designed specifically for the Navara, over there they call it A Frontier. I will post some pics when the kit turns up and I have fitted the seals.

Attachments

• Tail Gate  #2.jpg
    Tail Gate #2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 495
  • Tail Gate Seal  #1.jpg
    Tail Gate Seal #1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 425
  • Tail gate #3.jpg
    Tail gate #3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 316

Latest posts

Back