How to Remove the Dash in a 2010 ST-X

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncySpam

Reaction score
So, in spite of the fact I didn't know how to get the dash off in the new ST-X I went ahead and ordered myself a new head unit to install. I figured this would apply the right amount of pressure to get me to work out how to get into the dash.

I can now report that the way into the dash is as follows...

Pull up the cup holder. It will simply pop out.

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

Next, unscrew the gear stick head off the lever.
Then pull the surround of the gear stick (the silver bit, not the leather) backwards. this should just pop out. Remove the 3 cables plugged into it and place aside.

IMAG0055.jpg

Despite your temptations... IGNORE the screws. you do not need to undo them to be able to get into the dash.

Next, pull the bottom of the dash panel toward you. It should pop loose. It is held in place with two push tabs. Then working upwards, pull the dash toward you as close to the top as you can. It is held in place with three push tabs. Remove the 4 cables plugged into it and place aside. I've marked the location of the push tabs in red so you know what you are pulling at.

IMAG0052.jpg

The top three tabs are marked in red here - they need a bit of a pop to pull the piece out.

IMAG0053.jpg

Once you have the dash dismantled, the stereo is held in its bracket with 4 screws. BE CAREFUL. These screws have washers behind them, and they may not be attached to the dash, so get your fingers underneath each screw as you undo it and get ready to catch the washer if need be. If the washer doesn't drop, it is attached to either the bracket or the dash. The screws are marked in yellow in the photo up there.

Finally, the Stereo is held in the bracket with 4 Star Security Screws. You can undo these with a flat head screwdriver, but a set of these screw bits is worth about $5 at most hardware stores, and is a good addition to your tool kit.

IMAG0051.jpg

Ok, so the first big problem encountered is.... NISSAN HAVE CHANGED THIER FRICKIN STEREO WIRING LOOMS YOU BASTARDS.

IMAG0037.jpg

So the unit isn't installed yet - I've sent a message to the guy I bought the unit from asking why it came with the wrong loom in the hope that he can supply the right one... otherwise its going to be a cut job, which I don't really fancy... It also looks like Aerpro don't make one to suit, so not even sure what I can do about the aerial :(

An excellent bit of info!! Furthermore I would be recomending that this should be a sticky (Dave please) after UncySpam works out how to align the plugs - geez where is the aerial plug in the back of that??

Dont worry they seem to change the head deck looms all the time. I gave up trying to find one for mine and figured out another way.
All the pin connectors are small anyway so I just figured out teh pins and inserted the soldered ends if the corresponding wires direct into the connector.
That was almost 3 1/2 years ago and have swapped head decks again since using the same method

ok the aerial plug looks like -

IMAG0047.jpg

The other plugs looks like -

IMAG0039.jpg

All the plugs in order that they go in

IMAG0038.jpg

I'm going to see if I can get a copy of the wiring diagram from my dealer... tho I think I may be burning up my favours in a hurry :D

and I think that
autoleads-pc5147-nissan-almera-navara-note-qashqai-femal-aerial-adaptor-p-9323.html
might work as an aerial adaptor... tho I may have to get one shipped over from the UK :(

oh yeah... there is a bit more space in the dash than in the old models. I think that the cross brace is further back and down a bit, or maybe the stereo is simply higher up and further forward than it used to be.

I will probably go with making up my own loom for this. I'm annoyed cause I spent the money to get a unit which was advertised as plug and play, when it clearly isn't. My own lookout there I guess, but I'm still annoyed.

The wiring in the plugs should be easy to work out I think, as they look to be in the same order as the old ones, just a different plug. Plus the steering wheel controls and the microphone are the third connector (I think!) Will hopefully get time on Sunday arvo to get out the multimeter and start testing things till I can work it out

I would be guessing your looking at connectors for power etc antenna, speakers and the 4thmight be the bluetooth connection to the steering wheel.
I think all the rest are dooable but the antenna will be the killer

Does your new unit have a TV antenna and a GPS antenna?
If so I would guessmaybe small coax connectors. If so they might like mine hit that cross brace. However I bought some 90 degree adapters for mine and I have some spares so if thats the case lemme know and ill dig them up for you

Does your new unit have a TV antenna and a GPS antenna?
If so I would guessmaybe small coax connectors. If so they might like mine hit that cross brace. However I bought some 90 degree adapters for mine and I have some spares so if thats the case lemme know and ill dig them up for you

yup it does, but the unit is short enough that it doesnt even come close to the cross member thanks. oh and the connections are already 90 degree jobbies :D

I've found a guys install pics installing into a 2007 Almera... and its the same plugs. That lead me to a UK website which sells the adaptors. At least now I know they exist, but I don't want to have to get em sent over from the UK considering I bet they are made in china to begin with... just need to find somewhere to buy them

Well you could try the stereo places around town and see what they have to offer.
My head deck fitted as in the main unit but the damm antenna connections were right into that stupid bar
It fits now but damm its tight lol
What unit did you get?
Mine was just a cheapo Yum Cha unit off the bay but it does the job and the price was to my liking.

6.2" DigitalTV GPS Nissan X-Trail/Navara/Patrol/PFinder (eBay item 260676023937 end time 09-Nov-10 21:39:27 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Once I get the unit running and give it a good test I'll let others know if I recommend these over the Dig_Options ones. I like this one over any others as it runs WinCE6 and uses the 533mhz Samsung CPU which is one of the best available in the dash market at the moment.

oh, and the screen is much brighter (450cd vs 300 for the dig options) and nearly the same price. Will see what the after sales support is like too I guess :D

Very similar to mine but I have the 7" screen . Mine does lack the brightness tho but it does have the one thing I like. I can turn my screen off at night .There are always new units coming on the market so they just get better all the time.

When I did work on my stereo when I had a D40 I just removed the tray on top the dash right above the head unit (you know, the one that's perfect size for a wallet, but squeeks and rattles) that gives access to the back of the head unit

When I did work on my stereo when I had a D40 I just removed the tray on top the dash right above the head unit (you know, the one that's perfect size for a wallet, but squeeks and rattles) that gives access to the back of the head unit
Thats the way it is on the earlier D40 trucks but I think they changed it on the new models by the looks of it

An excellent bit of info!! Furthermore I would be recomending that this should be a sticky (Dave please) after UncySpam works out how to align the plugs - geez where is the aerial plug in the back of that??

Glue applied, she is stuck and not coming off.

Dave.

Does that just unclip somehow?

ST & KC only has 1 screw holding the fascia on, that's why it rattles and squeaks so much.

Latest posts

Back