D40 2.5 diesel EGR block

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Issues, just make up-or buy- your blanking plates, refit, seal and tighten

The only thing that might cause any drama is if the car has an EGR flow sensor. If it does, it's only looking for a small amount of flow, it's not actually measuring the rate - so a small hole in the middle of the blanking plate usually suffices.

EGR flow sensors were introduced somewhere along the line in the early 140kW variants, I think the earliest ones escaped (2010 builds) but I don't recall any Thai builds with it - probably because the Spanish builds generally go to the European market which has much tighter emission control standards and Australia seems to end up with whatever Nissan can't flog to the Europeans. Worse, they have the cars stored for a decade hoping that someone will fork out the 24,000 Euros and when they don't, they ship them over here and double the price tag for us and then tell us that it's a bargain.

Oh, did I rant at Nissan and its pricing/distribution policies? Oh, that's terrible!

I was thinking the other day about the flow issue...if your not worried about legalitys and nissan...why is it not possible to remove the egr tubeing.block the exhaust manifold port and pipe fresh filtered air in to the egr from the filter box.
Problem solved..no breathing dirty exhaust and a functioning code free egr....

I was thinking the other day about the flow issue...if your not worried about legalitys and nissan...why is it not possible to remove the egr tubeing.block the exhaust manifold port and pipe fresh filtered air in to the egr from the filter box.
Problem solved..no breathing dirty exhaust and a functioning code free egr....
Removing it would be ok, apart from the fine if anyone checked. As for routing it to the airbox, not sure that'd work. When being fed from the exhaust manifold, it is being pushed back in under pressure and pulled through by the inlet air. Trying to make it suck in air at atmospheric pressure from the airbox is where you may find it just pushes charge air back out into the airbox. That would also screw with the fuel metering as air that has been across the maf sensor will then be let back out, resulting in less air than what the maf has already metered... does that make sense?

Last edited:
There's also a turbocharger that's pressurising the intake manifold. However ... your idea has a lot of merit, just needs a little tweak.

What about adding a small junction in the hose between the intercooler and the intake manifold, that is basically a 100mm long metal pipe with flanges (to suit the intercooler hose) on which is welded a 25mm take-off pipe. We then plumb this take-off pipe into the EGR intake.

I know the source is the same as the main intake but it might still be enough.

You could take it from just after the turbo so it will be at a couple more psi than the manifold due to the loss in the intercooler. Just a thought, or is that what you meant OT?

That's not what I meant, but that will very nicely solve the problem.

It means some hard pipe running across the engine, but thankfully none of it needs to have a rubber hose any more - the turbo is fixed to the side of the engine and so is the intake manifold, so as long as the take-off is at the junction just outside the turbocharger, you could use a 20-25mm solid pipe all the way around.

We could probably knock one up from copper pipe. It has to handle (say) 250C. Silversolder melts at something a little over over 600C, and copper pipe is good for 1,000C or so (I think it's about 1080C give or take a failing memory).

Copper water pipe is good for 50psi at least, so it'll handle any boost pressure we could throw at it and it's easy to bend to shape. We could also just weld it on to the existing EGR pipe!

Still looking to find a 2.5 that throws codes from blanking, had a discussion the other day with s guy who said his threw a code, got him convinced to try a solid plate , still no codes, the 2.5 only looks for valve position

Just trace one out yourself matey.. not really to difficult. Unbolt egr pipe and there is a kinda gasket you can make a copy from.

I have bought a 2011 D40, first reg in 2012, I intend to do the egr block. Do I need to drill a hole in it or not?

Try without, Joe. If it chucks the CEL on the dash then you know you'll need the hole.

2011 was about the time when they added flow detection, so it's hard to say if yours has it or not. It won't cause any trouble if the CEL comes on for that.

Back