Body vs. Suspension Lift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black beast

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a body or suspension lift done on my '06 d22 but before I did I was just wanting some background info on both. For example if I got a lift how would it affect my ride comfort and fuel economy? Is one better than the other? And will it give me any clearence or will I need bigger tyers as well? I don't really care about looks, just practicability. Any info will be great.

Thanks, Mitch.

Suspension lift would be the go IMO, because it will give you better handling, and if you choose the right set up a nicer ride.

It will also get the whole ute higher as apposed to just the body. If you combine a 2" suspension lift with 265/75/16 tyres you will gain 3" of travel, therefor giving you better RAMP OVER, MORE APPROACH and DEPARTURE angles, as well as more travel from longer shocks and better leaf springs.

A body lift alone will not give you better ramp over, will not improve the handling or the ride at all, if anything it would make the ute a little more top heavy and with out decent suspension you would feel the body roll at times.

nathand22 said:
Suspension lift would be the go IMO, because it will give you better handling, and if you choose the right set up a nicer ride.

It will also get the whole ute higher as apposed to just the body. If you combine a 2" suspension lift with 265/75/16 tyres you will gain 3" of travel, therefor giving you better RAMP OVER, MORE APPROACH and DEPARTURE angles, as well as more travel from longer shocks and better leaf springs.

A body lift alone will not give you better ramp over, will not improve the handling or the ride at all, if anything it would make the ute a little more top heavy and with out decent suspension you would feel the body roll at times.

We said nathand, unless your planing on lifting you suspension and putting 33's(285/75/16's) on your Nav you don't really need a body lift. Go will the suspension first as it will ride better as well as give you more clearance.

Interesting...

I would have thought that lifting your vehicle's suspension doesn't necessary mean that it will handle better on road due to the fact that the higher u go the more body roll u get, add to that a bodylift and u get even more body roll which can only be counteracted by H/D suspension thus a harsher ride potentially.....

In saying that, aftermarket suspension always seems better than factory but with any suspension lift, u will need to get a wheel alignment as the lift will put your alignment out...

The lowest point of most cars is the rear diff and the only thing that can help u in that spot is tyres.... Bodylift's will help with your front approach angle as I don't think u can raise the front as much as u can the rear in regards to suspension, unless u fully wind up your TB and then that creates other ride problems....

I reckon a balance between the 2 options is good as u get a better ride + better approach/departure angles when offroading.... less chance of sill damage to if u don't have sliders.....

Re: Fuel Economy...
The higher u lift your car the more u will use.....how much will depend on your driving style.....

These are only my thoughts & I could be wrong......

Lifting the suspension will not make it handle better at all, the higher the centre of gravity the worse it will handle. But going from standard to aftermarket the suspension is better therefore handling better

Lifting the suspension will not make it handle better at all, the higher the centre of gravity the worse it will handle. But going from standard to aftermarket the suspension is better therefore handling better

Ok Ok dont take things so literally yes it does affect handling if you lift the car and therefor raise the centre of gravity.........................BUT you obviously know EXACTLY what i was saying................... because you say yourself the ute will handle better simply due to the better quality suspension

The bottom line is that all of us that have had a decent quality suspension lift done has reported that the ute now handles all conditions much better...

I know i certainly did, and even though it did get raised it now handles 100 times better then standard across the board..

My point was, lifting the cab up doesn't consist of ant new suspension, so that will definitely be detrimental to the vehicles handling where as when you do a suspension lift you are normally using upgraded components, so you will end up with a better handling ute as i did.....

Anyway im sure you all get what it is im trying to say.

Latest posts

Back