550 won't start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneo81

Reaction score
My 550 has a issue where randomly when turning the key to start everything happens (dash lights, radio, etc) except the starter doesn't turn over. Sometimes there is a delay of a few seconds, others there's absolutely nothing. If I wait 15mins and try again it starts normally. Has been doing this for over a year now, Nissan service were useless (we can't reproduce the issue). I'm getting concerned now as I am going camping next week on Moreton Island and the last thing I need is to be stuck somewhere isolated with a dead ute.

There are two possibilities that I can think of.

1) The battery is a little tired and worn, tomorrow morning the first thing you should do is check the voltage at the battery. If it's below 12.2V you should consider changing it.

2) The starter solenoid is sticking. It could be rebuilt but generally is replaced. Haven't heard of this failure before so it's not a common sore point but doesn't mean it can't happen.

Somewhat old thread I know (And I have not posted on here in ages) but...

I have had the same issue with my STX-550 a couple of times since I bought it in 2013. It happens so infrequently that I could never get it to party for a dealer while it was in warranty, maybe twice a year. It has not done it at all in at least the last year. You would drive it somewhere, turn it off, then go to restart it some time later and it would fail to crank. I wondered about an immobiliser issue and did some asking around but never got anywhere with it.

When mine did it I ended up getting underneath and directly flashing the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and the car cranked and started. Poking at the starter wiring also seemed to sort it but I could never get it to do it often enough or long enough to test anything. I may fit a remote crank button in the engine bay in case it tries to strand us somewhere, to save having to lie underneath the car in the mud to flash the solenoid.

Latest posts

Back