Front seal D40 Transfer case

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Dog

Reaction score
So my D40 clicks over 100000 on the weekend and right on queue the oil seal on the front output shaft of the transfer case develops a generous leak.:sad:

Rang up the Nissan stealership around the street from work and attemps to put in a warranty claim, 100300 km on the clock, and was told that they would pull it apart to assess it then try to claim for me.
Yeah nice trick, am I a synic or can everyone anticipate the outcome.
I told him to stick it up his ????? i'm not paying $150/hr for a glorified parts fitter to tell me that there's no warranty.

Just checking the topics on D22 s, where someone was told that it was because they were driving in too much mud :sarcastic::sarcastic:, it must have been my outing to Harry's hut, the Cooloola way and Double Island point on the weekend in the pissing rain. There may have been some mud involved there.

Anyone else had to replace this seal yet?

Mines has been replaced 4 times all under warranty. It is a terrible design and will always continue to fail, especially if you do a bit of mud driving like me.

Yeah mine got done at around 70,000kms made a hell of a mess under the car and dropped a considerable amount of oil on the garage floor.

Mine is a mainly hwy car has never seen mud.

Last edited:
Had mine done at 35,000 soon after I bought it, pretty sure it was the rear seal on the transfer, not a good start, I had my Prado for 10 years and never 1 drop of oil.
Still not totally converted to Nissans though.....

Got the report back from the mechanic.
The seal was totally chewed up by grit.
He reckoned that the debris seal onto the external cup had disintergrated allowing sand and dirt to damage the shaft seal.

don't know how much it cost, as the final figure of $1350 included my 2" lift.

PS: the actual seal was quoted by Nissan at $23.00

very common inbuilt fault. after seal number 5 and speedi sleeve number 2 on the flange i made up a small plate off the crossmember to about 5 inches past the uni 6 inches wide. seems to do the trick at keeping most crap out of it.

Good idea!!
im fairly sure it works,had it on for a few weeks driving in mud a fair bit,checked and ok. a a mate was going up north and i put it on his, it all ok, i drove through 20 km of mud on saturday and mines now leaking again :sad:

I too would love to see the pic of your mod. Mine always leaks after a good dose of driving through flooded creeks, and there has been plenty of that lately in Qld.
I must admit, I ignore it, and the leak stops of its own accord after another 10,000km, and of course I monitor the transfer level during that, and just have to wipe up the oil off my nice painted garage floor!!
I had it repaired several times under warranty (along with diff pinion seal) but no permanent cure to the problem has come along, except stay out of the water and mud!

I must admit, I ignore it, and the leak stops of its own accord after another 10,000km, and of course I monitor the transfer level during that

strange you say that iain, mine has been leaking for a while and havent got around to fixing,topped up last week ,went to newy on the weekend and not leaking now. will get some photos this week of the poly plate.maybe :)

Transfer case seal repair

Hi. I only just read this post. Sorry should have read it long a go. You should be able to replace the real your self. It depends on your ability. I do most of the works my self.

leaking front Tranfer seal

Hi Guys. I have a 07 D40 twin cab with 158000 on the clock. Just got back from 5 days at Cooloola/Rainbow/D.I. and front seal is leaking about a drop a minute. Ive heard the seal is about $40 bucks. Is there any special tools that are required or is it possible to replace myself with out forking out $$$ for labour from a Nissan stealership?

Hi Guys. I have a 07 D40 twin cab with 158000 on the clock. Just got back from 5 days at Cooloola/Rainbow/D.I. and front seal is leaking about a drop a minute. Ive heard the seal is about $40 bucks. Is there any special tools that are required or is it possible to replace myself with out forking out $$$ for labour from a Nissan stealership?

Nah not really mate you can do it yourself just make sure you mark the bolt on the shaft and re tighten it the same.. also drain the diff before yoy start and you can only take the shaft bolt off with airgun. .

very common inbuilt fault. after seal number 5 and speedi sleeve number 2 on the flange i made up a small plate off the crossmember to about 5 inches past the uni 6 inches wide. seems to do the trick at keeping most crap out of it.

So the day I fly out to spend 5 weeks in Melbourne I notice that my front seal is leaking, and at a pretty steady rate, I've had no time to fix it and have pretty much left it as is.

2 Questions, Is it difficult to change the seal? And can you show us a pic of the small plate you made to stop the crap getting in, was that difficult to make/install?

I went driving through some mud/water/etc near Adelaide River, Darwin about 3 days earlier and reading the thread this is likely to have caused the problem, as it is the start of the wet season I am likely to go through a fiar bit more, mud/water/etc.

You end up fixing yours? Mines gone too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420676135.673090.jpg

Not yet, I am going to get it done under warranty when I get back from Holidays, but I am interested in getting a pic of the plate Montana made

Latest posts

Back