ZD30 turns over but won't start.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoobis23

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first time posting just wondering if I can get some advice. Went to start my 3ltr d22 up the other day turned on the ignition glow plug light and engine light did not come it cranks over but does not start I checked the battery, fuses, fuel filter, fuel is getting to injectors and glow plugs, took the fuel cap off and tried to start it but no go any ideas?

Sounds like something to do with the computer.

Checked all your engine fuses ?

Might be worth checking the relays to.

Had any luck ?

No luck yet checking the relays tonight if I get a chance I've got a feeling it's the computer

check all the ecu inputs ie sensors. typically it one of them and not all are checked by ecu so it doesn't bring up error codes.
one that trips a few people is brake lights not working.

also check voltage, on lead not off battery as it may be poor battery connection. if you get low enough voltage on startup the ecu won't turn fuel on but it still has enough voltage to turn engine over.

How well does it crank over??

Are you getting any ignition lights, oil pressure, batt charge, seat belt ect?
could be a problem with the key switch, ignition relays or fuses.
hope you can find the problem.

ZD30 really needs good battery power to start. Has caused me endless problems with mine sitting for a while some times. Itll crank but wont start. Disconnect your battery for half hour and try again, if that doesnt work by reseting the comp take it back off and charge it up. You can also start it off a mates battery and once its running quickly swap yours back in.

Yeah cheers for the help joshy I've tried my mates brand new battery in it and still no go I've booked it in this week to get looked at

It almost sounds like the injectors aren't getting the command to open.

When the crank angle sensor (CAS) tells the ECU that it's time to fire, the ECU gives the injector a little jolt of power and the injector opens, squeezing fuel into the chamber. The diesel doesn't need anything else except air and it'll work.

I'm concerned that your glow plug light on the dash isn't coming on. That indicates that the glow plugs are not working - either because the power isn't getting to the glows themselves, or because the ECU has a fault.

If you can smell unburnt diesel in your exhaust, then you know the injectors are working and it's likely to be glow plugs - perhaps just a glow plug relay, or a connection to the glow plug rail.

I'd also check the air cleaner and make sure there's nothing blocking the intake. While the engine is being cranked over, look at the air hoses - if they're showing signs of collapsing, there might be a blockage in the air pathway. That will stop a diesel as well - and while it's unusual, I have heard of the air path being blocked (I think it was an owl that had flown into the snorkel and sucked down to the bend inside the guard).

Cheers for the reply old tony I've got it booked in on Friday to get looked at the problem is beyond my capabilities just hope it doesn't cost too much to get fixed. Cheers everyone for the help

Hey mate, what was the outcome? I've got the same problem with my ZD30 at the moment. No glow plug or engine light, cranks but doesnt start.

old post mate [ 2011 ] not sure if he is still around this forum. submit a post and you should get some help with your ZD-30 engine issue.

Latest posts

Back