NP300 First Impressions?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after a year and 43000kms i still enjoy driving the st-x np300. there's some small things that are annoying and should have been fixed.
the trip computer and odo aren't in sync
the vagueness of the manual shifter and wide gate
top end st-x with no outside temp display? wat tha?
top end st-x passenger front seat not electric.

everything else i reckon is great and a world apart from the Mazda BT-50 i traded.
Is that the old bt50 or the new?

who gives a crap about more fuel...and yes i wanted a larger engine..i dont want a "girls" poxy motor in a 4wd....
have a look at how long ive owned a d22 for...but now i changed..

if you had the $$$ you would get one too..:rambo:
I do have the coinage backing me up (its good when the government leases property assets off you)
$56,000 for the XLS
Reverse camera a $700 option ??
Vinyl floor ??
No rear vents ??

Yeah nice truck but lacking a lot in the area of a family truck. And of which i'm not willing to pay an extra 10 grand for missing features.

first impressions, keep in mind engine is not worn in yet and i have not had a chance to put any load on it and its the single cab leaf spring work horse.

seats are comfy. so nice to have adjustable seats instead of the bench seat.
interior is roomy.
the dash top tray and power is handy for sat nav and dash cam.
got cup and bottle holders which SC D22 never had.
radio is basic but it works.
aircon is a surprise, its not a variable unit. not sure if its even its temperature controlled but just flat out like the D22. rather old fashion.
power windows and central locking ! yay!

i have no complaints on the steering. maybe i'm just used to spinning the wheel so much. the horn being so close to the steering wheel edge i can see is going to cause issues.

engine has nice pickup. plant it in 6th gear and over takes easily.
however if you boot it, it has massive lag from take off and on each gear change.
its a case of change gear, wait wait boom off it goes.
the raise idle rpm on take off is weird to get used to. ie you start to move and it ups the rpm and holds it up for a while. handy for getting out of a car park but could be very dangerous in 4wd situations.
manual gearbox is clunky. not sure about gearing yet. wait till i start putting load on it.
clutch is meh.
loads of noise coming in via the rear wall. a lot of tink tink noise which sounds like the stainless exhaust pipe. that may improve with age.

the big alloy drive shaft is interesting. i wonder how impact resistant that is.
i notice the rear power cables are on the outside of the drivers side chassis rail and the sill doesn't provide much protection. it looks very vulnerable.

of course the stupid little wheels which will be binned shortly.

the traction control is very smooth and quiet (in contrast the ranger is hell noisy).

can't wait until its worn in and start loading it up and see if its still a good workhorse.

first impressions, keep in mind engine is not worn in yet and i have not had a chance to put any load on it and its the single cab leaf spring work horse.

seats are comfy. so nice to have adjustable seats instead of the bench seat.
interior is roomy.
the dash top tray and power is handy for sat nav and dash cam.
got cup and bottle holders which SC D22 never had.
radio is basic but it works.
aircon is a surprise, its not a variable unit. not sure if its even its temperature controlled but just flat out like the D22. rather old fashion.
power windows and central locking ! yay!

i have no complaints on the steering. maybe i'm just used to spinning the wheel so much. the horn being so close to the steering wheel edge i can see is going to cause issues.

engine has nice pickup. plant it in 6th gear and over takes easily.
however if you boot it, it has massive lag from take off and on each gear change.
its a case of change gear, wait wait boom off it goes.
the raise idle rpm on take off is weird to get used to. ie you start to move and it ups the rpm and holds it up for a while. handy for getting out of a car park but could be very dangerous in 4wd situations.
manual gearbox is clunky. not sure about gearing yet. wait till i start putting load on it.
clutch is meh.
loads of noise coming in via the rear wall. a lot of tink tink noise which sounds like the stainless exhaust pipe. that may improve with age.

the big alloy drive shaft is interesting. i wonder how impact resistant that is.
i notice the rear power cables are on the outside of the drivers side chassis rail and the sill doesn't provide much protection. it looks very vulnerable.

of course the stupid little wheels which will be binned shortly.

the traction control is very smooth and quiet (in contrast the ranger is hell noisy).

can't wait until its worn in and start loading it up and see if its still a good workhorse.

Keep us posted mate, you have added some good information that's not been discussed yet. I wonder how it goes with 2.5 tonne before that second turbo boosts up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep us posted mate, you have added some good information that's not been discussed yet. I wonder how it goes with 2.5 tonne before that second turbo boosts up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
these are single turbo, the lower powered version.
only the top spec ones get the twin turbo. which afaik is compound turbo so 2nd turbo is boosting all the time.

for a mere 120kw it goes very nicely. uphills in 6th no problem. not sure if that will stay the same once i get bigger wheels on. tho i really do wish they put lower gearing in the single cabs. it would save the clutch a lot of abuse and the increase in fuel usage is not that big a deal.

these are single turbo, the lower powered version.
only the top spec ones get the twin turbo. which afaik is compound turbo so 2nd turbo is boosting all the time.

for a mere 120kw it goes very nicely. uphills in 6th no problem. not sure if that will stay the same once i get bigger wheels on. tho i really do wish they put lower gearing in the single cabs. it would save the clutch a lot of abuse and the increase in fuel usage is not that big a deal.

I am the opposite with the gearing.
I find first too low. Then owners manual say you can use 2nd to start. I tried it, but am sure you would burn the clutch out starting in 2nd.

I would like a final drive ratio of the auto. i do mostly hwy driving at 110km/h.

Also tru revin to 2900 between changes keeps it in the power band and too my surprise better economy. I was changing too soon before.

single cabs tend to carry far more weight than a dual cab (or at least meant to be!).
1 ton on the tray and 2500kg (common as mud here) or 3500kg (our highest) trailer, a tall first gear you smoke clutch.
with the d22 at times we would be in low range to get going especially hill starts.

i would love a split shift. a 5 speed box with splitter....yes please mr nissan.

The taller tyres may bring the gearing up a bit. Are these a "perky" motor? Some of the You Tube acceleration tests show it revving its nuts off. Tweak in your line of work a splitter box would be a godsend

Tweak in your line of work a splitter box would be a godsend
yeah i was giving the truck guys a hard time over that.
all the brands small trucks ie nissan atlas, just have 5 speed gearboxes and usually the same engine as a ute or some pathetic under powered thing.
some of these are 6 tonners with just a 5 speed.......ewwww.

single cabs tend to carry far more weight than a dual cab (or at least meant to be!).
1 ton on the tray and 2500kg (common as mud here) or 3500kg (our highest) trailer, a tall first gear you smoke clutch.
with the d22 at times we would be in low range to get going especially hill starts.

i would love a split shift. a 5 speed box with splitter....yes please mr nissan.

Understand where you are coming from.
We all have our own uses and wish list.
Mine is a work horse and speed between jobs is my game. From Warburton to Eucla 10_15 jobs a day.

I've taken it off topic again, I guess such a box would cost more but long term when the drivers were educated the running costs would be so much better. I drove a Mazda T3500 with a splitter box for a period of time delivering pools and spa's. For a little 3.5 that box made for a relaxed drive with no stain on the drive and it easily handled big loads. As for the tyre change I doubt when the cheese cutters go there will be next to no difference. My YD puts out just under 160hp atw and it made no noticeable change apart from 150rpm lower at 120kph. Heavy steel rims are the killer, but in your work Tweak they'd kill an alloy. I'm 2.8 tonne now so have to be carefull with accesories. Hucker your canopy and setup looks tops mate!

Cheers
John

the other approach is to use more gears.
eg the vw amarok its something like 8 gears (auto), really low 1st, but no low range. doesn't need it. unfortunately they forgot to put a 2nd reverse gear in, that can catch you out. i have driven one and its very nice to drive, the low gears are useful in the paddock and in the supermarket car park.

alloys, that comes down to if you get cheap nasty ones or you abuse the crap out of it.
a lot of you guys run the same weight i do ! by the time you put big bars, bash plates, sliders etc, loaded with camping gear your at GVM very easily.
boss has the ranger with the alloys, thats surviving ok and its been hauling some weight.

Also the NP has a very noisey engine fan, it's in no hurry to stop roaring I drove next to one on a two lane road and it moaned for a good 5 minutes. It takes 10-12 hp to drive the fan, surely that would hurt economy.

Also the NP has a very noisey engine fan, it's in no hurry to stop roaring I drove next to one on a two lane road and it moaned for a good 5 minutes. It takes 10-12 hp to drive the fan, surely that would hurt economy.

yes, but electric fan simply cannot match mechanical fans for air flow.
when your hauling loads up a hill you really want that mechanical fan.

Nissan have a fix

Had a very noisey engine fan. Dealer fixed it at 10,000 km service after lots of complaining, no noise now! Very happy Nav owner.

i have been giving it a few good loads this week.
power has been ok. its not startling, its only 120kw so only 10kw higher than the d22 zd30.
but loads of low rpm power so no issue pulling a full trailer plus a load on the back.
however take off is still an issue. i only did one trip with the trailer so part of it could be just me not being used to the new ute.
i had to dip the clutch and give it stick to get it moving at a bastard intersection. when turbo came on it promptly try to spin up those little biscuit wheels, which it did a bit even with traction control fighting it.
i still think it wants a lower geared diff.

so far i'm not missing the lsd at all. tho i suspect i will be wanting a locker come winter.

handling with a load is good. a big step up from the d22.

Noisey Fan

Had a very noisey engine fan. Dealer fixed it at 10,000 km service after lots of complaining, no noise now! Very happy Nav owner.

Hi, can I ask what the dealer did to fix your noisy engine fan. My STX has a noisy and annoying fan when first starting off .Has done so since new and is about to go in for the 20000klm service .Highway speed is very quiet though!
thanks. Martin

Hi mbramston, the dealer apparently contacted Nissan Australian and they gave them a different part number to order from overseas, other than the standard clutch fan part member listed in the parts schedule. Believe me I was very relieved once I picked up the car with no fan noise on take off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back