Buying a D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm pretty sure the king cab, even the STX were all built in thailand, unlike the dual cab STX which was built in Spain.
A VIN starting with VSK is Spanish, an VT in think is Thai!

Aparantly you can tell by looking at them, the aerial is on the roof for one and near the lower corner of the windscreen for the other but i cant remember which is which.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Thai builds also have indicators in the guards and not the mirrors, plus door handles are colour matched to the car. Goes for any variant. RX also came with steel wheels instead of alloy and a steel bar on the front of the ute tub instead of the alloy sports bar.

RX and KC variants are supposed to all be from Thailand but I think I've spotted a Spanish KC.

There were some ST variants built in Thailand as well. I suspect that when Nissan released the 140kW YD25 motor they still had plenty of 126kW engines floating around, so the ST was born (around 2010 until 2013) - ok, just kidding, but it's likely that they saw some life still in the 126kW power plant. The newer YD25 went in the STX DC from Spain.

From what ive seen and what nissan employees have told me STX D40s and pathfinders are near identical twins made in spain

Everything else is made in thailand and mechanically different, especially the suspension

RX and KC variants are supposed to all be from Thailand but I think I've spotted a Spanish KC.

There were some ST variants built in Thailand as well. I suspect that when Nissan released the 140kW YD25 motor they still had plenty of 126kW engines floating around, so the ST was born (around 2010 until 2013) - ok, just kidding, but it's likely that they saw some life still in the 126kW power plant. The newer YD25 went in the STX DC from Spain.

Interesting you may have spotted a Spanish KC. Maybe a UK import? I know the UK have Spanish built KC's. Funnily enough I have seen one up here in Cairns. Had a British plate on it. Now that is a trip and a half!

A few Thai built ST's are floating around this neck of woods. Of course we all know the ultimate quetion- Which on one was or is better:) There is no difinitive answer tho.

The D40 is an amazing vehicle, in the respect there was so many variants over the years and over the world, even spec changes within those variants.

I can never get over how comfortable and smooth the ride is in my d40 STX.
No other dual cab comes close, except for maybe the newest model of hilux.
Even those feel a bit more jiggly and twitchy at speed on a dirt road than a STX.

Theres definitely a major difference in the suspension setup between STXs and the other models of D40

Another question, what's the manual like for towing. I have a van with ATM of 1900kg. My D22 did it OK first gear take off being the only problem.
Thanks

Similar deal except the D40 has a little more lag off the start. First gear is a little tall. If it still has a DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) then under sustained partial clutch (eg getting it moving up a steep driveway) the clutch can cook. The D22 had a SMF and didn't suffer from this, and replacing the DMF with an Exedy HD clutch kit and SMF is quite successful.

Similar deal except the D40 has a little more lag off the start. First gear is a little tall. If it still has a DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) then under sustained partial clutch (eg getting it moving up a steep driveway) the clutch can cook. The D22 had a SMF and didn't suffer from this, and replacing the DMF with an Exedy HD clutch kit and SMF is quite successful.

And keep in mind there is no option for 2wd low range becuase you can't leave the front hubs unlocked.

Thanks again, there is a lot more manual than auto on the market. Pity about the locking hubs I used low range 1st a lot with the hubs unlocked, my son owns the car now and it has done 220k and still on the original clutch. Makes you wonder why they fixed something that wasn't broke, suppose they figured we were to lazy to get out and change them. While I'm on gearboxes are the autos a good box.

Auto 2007 STX

Seems to be a good auto box. Haven't any problems in 115,000ks of hard slog as a work ute.

I change the trans fluid every 20,000 ks which is overkill, but its not hard to do or expensive so i figure why not.
The fluid that comes out seems to be just starting to turn from red to brown at that stage, so probably not a bad time to get it out.

Shift wise its notbad, pretty smooth, you dont notice the changes too much.
Admittedly not as amazing to drive as some of the newer auto turbo diesels, but then its probably a bit simpler and more reliable than the super complex new autos.

Ditto Czechmate's advice. I have a 2009 auto D40 and mine's just about to reach 270,000km. Half of that has seen around 2T being towed. I've towed up Mt Ousley, up the Alpine Way (yes, I saw the sign that said "Not Recommended For Caravans" but you know I can't read). We've towed several times up the hills out of Gloucester NSW to Walcha (what a bastard of a climb that is) and been through Cunningham's Gap twice. Have been to another famous hill a few times - hell, I work there now and again!

Oh, where? HERE! vvvvvvv
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9870-resized.jpg
    IMG_9870-resized.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 200

Latest posts

Back